The Student Room Group

Plz read my cambridge application

A levels (Business, Economics, Maths, Further Maths)
A level results: A* A* A* A*
GCSE:66655544433
4 in maths. 3's in history and PE.
I'm on my gap year.
What are my chances of getting into cambridge for computer science?
Do you have extenuating circumstances for those GCSE grades? How come they're so low Vs your A-Levels?

If you have the A* grades in the maths especially, then that puts you in a very strong position on paper. Obviously there's the admissions assessment and interview to get through too though. So, you're working from a strong basis with your A-Levels but there's no guarantee of an offer!
Reply 2
Original post by Paralove
Do you have extenuating circumstances for those GCSE grades? How come they're so low Vs your A-Levels?

If you have the A* grades in the maths especially, then that puts you in a very strong position on paper. Obviously there's the admissions assessment and interview to get through too though. So, you're working from a strong basis with your A-Levels but there's no guarantee of an offer!

Well to put it briefly I was in a depresive state due to family problems. I don't want to mention this as though it may seem I am just another student trying to ask for some sympathy. Also If my parents were to here about that, they'd be extremely upset with me.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by anowareff
Well to put it briefly I was in a depresive state due to family problems. I don't want to mention this as though it may seem I am just another student trying to ask for some sympathy. Also If my parents were to here about that, they'd be extremely upset with me.

You should really complete the extenuating circumstances form. It's completed by a teacher, doctor or social worker. Your family don't need to know that's been completed, and it won't be shared with anyone other than those who need to see it during the admissions process. You really ought to complete it - it will never be used against you and allows the admissions team to properly contextualise your results and show that it's not because you don't have the ability.

I know you might not be comfortable disclosing detail but I strongly recommend you do so such that they can assess you fairly.
Reply 5
You should really complete the extenuating circumstances form. It's completed by a teacher, doctor or social worker. Your family don't need to know that's been completed, and it won't be shared with anyone other than those who need to see it during the admissions process. You really ought to complete it - it will never be used against you and allows the admissions team to properly contextualise your results and show that it's not because you don't have the ability.

I know you might not be comfortable disclosing detail but I strongly recommend you do so such that they can assess you fairly.

Nevertheless, In full thought, I do not believe my circumstances are applicable for reasoning my GCSE's. To put it simply I was a sid little teen, who didn't want to study because he had a negative impact on certain aspects of life. My parents may have amplified this but I have never talked to anyone about it because it was never anyone else fault completely but mine. If I decided to stop being a sad little teen, I would have got my 8's and 9's but thats long gone now. Therefore I don't have extenuating circumstances, so I wouldn't be applicable. I heard cambridge don't consider GCSE's as oxford do and they even mention it on their site (Ibz mo is a great example of this). I'll still give a shot at applying, what do you think?
(edited 3 years ago)
Nevertheless, In full thought, I do not believe my circumstances are applicable for reasoning my GCSE's. To put it simply I was a sid little teen, who didn't want to study because he had a negative impact on certain aspects of life. My parents may have amplified this but I have never talked to anyone about it because it was never anyone else fault completely but mine. If I decided to stop being a sad little teen, I would have got my 8's and 9's but thats long gone now. Therefore I don't have extenuating circumstances, so I wouldn't be applicable. I heard cambridge don't consider GCSE's as oxford do and they even mention it on their site (Ibz mo is a great example of this). I'll still give a shot at applying, what do you think?

Except they are. You will probably need to discuss with your former form tutor to complete it for you, or another teacher you trust to do so.

It would be really really odd to look at your results and not question why there's such a big disparity. It's not uncommon to feel like it's your own fault and you could have put more effort in but the reality is that it wasn't, and if it was something along the lines of depression, that's bloody hard and I would know! It's not your fault and you are not 'making excuses' by completing the form.

At the end of the day I can't force you but it only makes sense to complete the ECF to explain the circumstances. It is one of the great things about the Cambridge admissions process that they have such a form at all.

You mention ibz - he too had extenuating circumstances. He will have completed that kind of form. It's not that he was dead lazy and cba at GCSE.
Reply 7
Except they are. You will probably need to discuss with your former form tutor to complete it for you, or another teacher you trust to do so.

It would be really really odd to look at your results and not question why there's such a big disparity. It's not uncommon to feel like it's your own fault and you could have put more effort in but the reality is that it wasn't, and if it was something along the lines of depression, that's bloody hard and I would know! It's not your fault and you are not 'making excuses' by completing the form.

At the end of the day I can't force you but it only makes sense to complete the ECF to explain the circumstances. It is one of the great things about the Cambridge admissions process that they have such a form at all.

You mention ibz - he too had extenuating circumstances. He will have completed that kind of form. It's not that he was dead lazy and cba at GCSE.

I did have depression & other problems but I didn’t think that would be an applicable reason, but I guess my mind has been swayed & I may discuss this further with my former form tutor. I meet the entry requirements for A levels & Cambridge state they do not look into GCSE or at least there aren’t any requirements, so surely If I meet all the requirements then there is no problem? Sorry for the constant questions, just need some advice right now, thanks.
I did have depression & other problems but I didn’t think that would be an applicable reason, but I guess my mind has been swayed & I may discuss this further with my former form tutor. I meet the entry requirements for A levels & Cambridge state they do not look into GCSE or at least there aren’t any requirements, so surely If I meet all the requirements then there is no problem? Sorry for the constant questions, just need some advice right now, thanks.

There is not a minimum GCSE requirement, and you have met the A-Level grades so yes you are correct in that respect. However, it will only be beneficial for you to complete the form to let them know about your GCSE circumstances. If anything, your change from GCSE to A-Level and its upward trajectory is very postitive, but it's still really helpful for the admissions teams to know the circumstances. I'm finding it hard to articulate sort of why it is important in that way in spite of you having grades in hand for A-Level, but *everything* is looked at, even if they're not necessarily the most important things in the process.

I'm not sure if you've seen the circumstances listed but - it's not a comprehensive list (the categories are applicable to many different things), and medical does not just mean physical health but mental health too. https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

EDIT: to add, the average Cambridge applicant has 4-5 A/A* (7-9) grades at GCSE - which is more reason to complete the ECF just to give some explanation.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending