The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Medicine?

Hello there,

I am applying for medicine this year, taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths A level.

I can't decide whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I have visited both cities, and liked them both, so for me, which one to apply to comes down to which one I have a better shot at getting into.
I have read many threads and articles, and know that Oxford has a more centralised application system, and places more weighting on GCSE's than Cambridge (which favours me). However, I also know that Cambridge has many more spaces than Oxford, with roughly the same number of applicants.

A bit of info about me :
I got 9 grade nine's at GCSE (I only took 9), an A in add maths, and an A in AS history.
I am predicted 3 A* at A level
I got 752.5 in the UCAT ( I know the admissions test is the BMAT, I was just hoping this could give an estimate on my BMAT performance )
I also attend an independent school.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :smile:

ps. please don't ask why Oxbridge - It has always been a dream of mine, and I feel like the atmosphere and way of teaching would really suit me.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Ah ok thanks so much

I thought I did, but it just got moved here... Should I just copy and paste it into a new thread and make sure the forum says Oxbridge?
Reply 2
Ah ok thanks a ton :smile:
Original post by A//A
Hello there,

I am applying for medicine this year, taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths A level.

I can't decide whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge. I have visited both cities, and liked them both, so for me, which one to apply to comes down to which one I have a better shot at getting into.

I mean... there's a lot more thought that could go into it than that!

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford, although doing something completely tangential at Cambridge (law, economics etc) to is no longer allowed under normal circumstances.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
- Oxford gets much higher student satisfaction
- Oxford is more competitive than Cambridge - much higher application to offer ratio, no difference in applicant BMAT score
- Cambridge offers are higher - A*A*A typically versus A*AA.

In terms of where you'd stand a better chance of getting in... Oxford is just so much more competitive numerically you'd have to suggest Cambridge. Clearly you are well placed for an Oxford application though.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
I mean... there's a lot more thought that could go into it than that!

- Cities - I'd suggest visiting both. Oxford's a more active city.
- Accommodation - more available at Cambridge - though most students at both can get accommodation for the first 3 years at least.
- Size - Oxford med school is half the size. There is only 4-8 medics per year at each college (whereas at cambridge it can be up to 25 or so)
- 3rd year options are more limited at Oxford, although doing something completely tangential at Cambridge (law, economics etc) to is no longer allowed under normal circumstances.
- Cambridge has more focus on anatomy, including dissection rather than prosection. Oxford focuses on other aspects of medicine instead.
- Oxford gets much higher student satisfaction
- Oxford is more competitive than Cambridge - much higher application to offer ratio, no difference in applicant BMAT score
- Cambridge offers are higher - A*A*A typically versus A*AA.

In terms of where you'd stand a better chance of getting in... Oxford is just so much more competitive numerically you'd have to suggest Cambridge. Clearly you are well placed for an Oxford application though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it :smile:

To be honest, I do think I might go for Cambridge... I've seen you on a lot of these type of threads and would just like to ask you how competitive you think my application is (obviously it would be really rough bc you don't have my BMAT or PS etc..), but from a grades perspective, do you think I have a decent chance? Thanks :smile:
Original post by A//A
Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it :smile:

To be honest, I do think I might go for Cambridge... I've seen you on a lot of these type of threads and would just like to ask you how competitive you think my application is (obviously it would be really rough bc you don't have my BMAT or PS etc..), but from a grades perspective, do you think I have a decent chance? Thanks :smile:

You've given yourself the best chance you can. It will all come down to BMAT and subsequent interviews. Good luck.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending