The Student Room Group

Am i liable to pay?

If anyone is around- I would really appreciate some help. I have had my tuition fee loan rejected - but not due to failing, due to unknown knowledge that I couldn't take out a loan for an equivalent qualification to what I already have - foundation degree - my first was privately funded by my employer) but I haven't actually started my studies yet - teaching term begins 19/10 this year...but the "induction to online learning" month has started and the liability to pay dates were from 21/9.... I have an appeal in place, since 18/9 but I wont get a result for another month due to COVID. will I be able to drop out without being charged for the first term?
Heiehdjwnsk
Sorry just checking I can reply on the thread as a lot I try to reply on then don’t let me as say an error so I waste my time writing! I’ll reply in the next comment to your questions 😇
My understanding is generally we're entitled to up to 4 years undergraduate funding. I think as you have an equivalent level but only first 2 years, you’re only entitled to a maximum of 2 more years funding from SFE. I don’t think they care how your previous study was funded so they’d still take off 2 years of prior study even though you didn’t use SFE to fund it.

If you’re doing a 3 year undergraduate now, I think you might have to fund 1st year, but you might be entitled to funding for the last two years.

If you’re doing a top up degree, so just one year to make your FD a full honours, I think you can get SFE to fund it.

Another way around it is to do a government approved “skill shortage” second degree. Then you’d be entitled to SFE to fund your fees (plus living costs if its a healthcare course).

Hope that helps?!
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply! However my question is more towards the Uni - am I liable to pay them (as SFE WON'T fund me, therefore if I do the course I have to pay myself). I'm wanting to drop out now, a week into the 'official' start of term, but no lectures have started etc, so will they still make me pay them? :/

also just for info, if I was doing a BSc I'd be eligible apparently! Just cos its a FdSc, the same as I already have, they wont :frown:
Original post by Versions
My understanding is generally we're entitled to up to 4 years undergraduate funding. I think as you have an equivalent level but only first 2 years, you’re only entitled to a maximum of 2 more years funding from SFE. I don’t think they care how your previous study was funded so they’d still take off 2 years of prior study even though you didn’t use SFE to fund it.

If you’re doing a 3 year undergraduate now, I think you might have to fund 1st year, but you might be entitled to funding for the last two years.

If you’re doing a top up degree, so just one year to make your FD a full honours, I think you can get SFE to fund it.

Another way around it is to do a government approved “skill shortage” second degree. Then you’d be entitled to SFE to fund your fees (plus living costs if its a healthcare course).

Hope that helps?!
Original post by susiehc
Thanks for your reply! However my question is more towards the Uni - am I liable to pay them (as SFE WON'T fund me, therefore if I do the course I have to pay myself). I'm wanting to drop out now, a week into the 'official' start of term, but no lectures have started etc, so will they still make me pay them? :/

also just for info, if I was doing a BSc I'd be eligible apparently! Just cos its a FdSc, the same as I already have, they wont :frown:

Ahh sorry that’s my tired eyes getting too far ahead of myself to see your actual question!

What uni is it?

I don’t know for sure but I’d be inclined to say no you wouldn’t have to pay it as it’s been a genuine misunderstanding, so I’d be inclined at least to start with to ignore any requests for payment and to withdraw from the course ASAP.

I guess the only other option is to get a scholarship but I think they’re hard to come by, especially ones that’ll fund your entire fees!

I’m sure you’ve considered it, but are you able to enrol on a BSc/BA? Then you could drop out with a FD after 2 years but you’d be eligible for funding as would be enrolled on a full BSc/BA.
Original post by susiehc
If anyone is around- I would really appreciate some help. I have had my tuition fee loan rejected - but not due to failing, due to unknown knowledge that I couldn't take out a loan for an equivalent qualification to what I already have - foundation degree - my first was privately funded by my employer) but I haven't actually started my studies yet - teaching term begins 19/10 this year...but the "induction to online learning" month has started and the liability to pay dates were from 21/9.... I have an appeal in place, since 18/9 but I wont get a result for another month due to COVID. will I be able to drop out without being charged for the first term?

1. If you had asked here with those details you would have been told the foundation impacts your funding whether you paid for it yourself or not. That is just the way the rule works.
2. Whether or not you are liable depends on the uni and their rules on fee liability. It normally says so in the terms. One area they look at for the key date is formal enrolment. I am assuming this is a brick uni. Typical would be 14 days from then.
3. Either check on the website and ask the uni if you would be liable if you dropped out now due to your sfe being rejected. I would hope they would be reasonable as formal teaching hasnt started. If not then appeal.
4. You say liability starts from 21/9 and I would need to see the exact terms. You should point out your appeal was made before fees became liable i.e you would have left before, which I would have done.
5. You student finance I believe should last you from second year onwards, but you should check with sfe on the equivalent qualification rule.

You have to look at the rules, terms and conditions.

Not sure which of your questions I failed to answer?
Reply 7
Original post by Versions
Ahh sorry that’s my tired eyes getting too far ahead of myself to see your actual question!

What uni is it?

I don’t know for sure but I’d be inclined to say no you wouldn’t have to pay it as it’s been a genuine misunderstanding, so I’d be inclined at least to start with to ignore any requests for payment and to withdraw from the course ASAP.

I guess the only other option is to get a scholarship but I think they’re hard to come by, especially ones that’ll fund your entire fees!

I’m sure you’ve considered it, but are you able to enrol on a BSc/BA? Then you could drop out with a FD after 2 years but you’d be eligible for funding as would be enrolled on a full BSc/BA.

Thanks so much! It's UWE. I'll call them tomorrow and try to withdraw :frown: hopefully they'll let me off with just an admin fee or something...

I applied for a transfer to the BSc version but it's full so it was rejected ... Will have to wait till next year and apply for finance much further in advance to be sure if I want to risk it all again ... or defer I suppose... but then I'm not sure if I'll be 'definitely' liable to pay next year if something goes wrong again?!
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
1. If you had asked here with those details you would have been told the foundation impacts your funding whether you paid for it yourself or not. That is just the way the rule works.
2. Whether or not you are liable depends on the uni and their rules on fee liability. It normally says so in the terms. One area they look at for the key date is formal enrolment. I am assuming this is a brick uni. Typical would be 14 days from then.
3. Either check on the website and ask the uni if you would be liable if you dropped out now due to your sfe being rejected. I would hope they would be reasonable as formal teaching hasnt started. If not then appeal.
4. You say liability starts from 21/9 and I would need to see the exact terms. You should point out your appeal was made before fees became liable i.e you would have left before, which I would have done.
5. You student finance I believe should last you from second year onwards, but you should check with sfe on the equivalent qualification rule.

You have to look at the rules, terms and conditions.

Not sure which of your questions I failed to answer?

Thanks for your response. I didnt know this forum was a thing tbh until I searched my question in google. I haven't been a student before as my degree before was part of an apprenticeship so I've never had formal help applying to uni or anything, just naive in the whole process really.

I hope they will be reasonable too. The Uni is UWE. I also contacted the course leader prior to 21/9 and asked her help but she wasn't helpful at all and didn't warn me about the liability date.

I dont have any student finance other than the tuition fees so am not in need of further funding as part of the withdrawal...I just dont want a £3000 bill :frown:
Original post by susiehc
Thanks for your response. I didnt know this forum was a thing tbh until I searched my question in google. I haven't been a student before as my degree before was part of an apprenticeship so I've never had formal help applying to uni or anything, just naive in the whole process really.

I hope they will be reasonable too. The Uni is UWE. I also contacted the course leader prior to 21/9 and asked her help but she wasn't helpful at all and didn't warn me about the liability date.

I dont have any student finance other than the tuition fees so am not in need of further funding as part of the withdrawal...I just dont want a £3000 bill :frown:

Not having a go at you, just pointing out the fact for people who do understand the regulations, then that is how they work.
What course is it you wish to do?
What foundation did you do before. I tend to advise against foundation years or degrees, but if it was part of your apprenticeship I can see why you wouldnt know.

Who is the appeal to? SFE or the uni.
If its the uni then they should take that as notice of some sort.
If its to sfe then you need to give UWE notice and try and appeal.
Point out you had already told the course leader you couldnt afford it and maybe as a rep of the uni she should have been more helpful and notified you of your option to leave.
You should point out the delays in sfe due to cv19.
I think the key date is 21/9/20, unless you have something which gives another date.

The question is can you prove you gave notice prior to that date or after. If after then can you cobble an argument together which points out why they should exercise discretion.

Talk to consumer helpline about it and see if they have anything to add. You can try the SU as well.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/
You can also point as of now their fee liability policy is not online, just the date , as the link doesnt work.
https://www.uwe.ac.uk/courses/fees/paying-your-fees/dates-for-fee-liability#aa9a2ee4e-f741-4334-8bd4-0827bf1e9598
https://www.uwe.ac.uk/replace
Maybe take screen shots.

In the event you are liable then they dont come after you until you are earning £26k.
I would more be looking at if you could build on the foundation to transfer into a degree you want starting in Y2.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Not having a go at you, just pointing out the fact for people who do understand the regulations, then that is how they work.
What course is it you wish to do?
What foundation did you do before. I tend to advise against foundation years or degrees, but if it was part of your apprenticeship I can see why you wouldnt know.

Who is the appeal to? SFE or the uni.
If its the uni then they should take that as notice of some sort.
If its to sfe then you need to give UWE notice and try and appeal.
Point out you had already told the course leader you couldnt afford it and maybe as a rep of the uni she should have been more helpful and notified you of your option to leave.
You should point out the delays in sfe due to cv19.
I think the key date is 21/9/20, unless you have something which gives another date.

The question is can you prove you gave notice prior to that date or after. If after then can you cobble an argument together which points out why they should exercise discretion.

Talk to consumer helpline about it and see if they have anything to add. You can try the SU as well.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/
You can also point as of now their fee liability policy is not online, just the date , as the link doesnt work.
https://www.uwe.ac.uk/courses/fees/paying-your-fees/dates-for-fee-liability#aa9a2ee4e-f741-4334-8bd4-0827bf1e9598
https://www.uwe.ac.uk/replace
Maybe take screen shots.

In the event you are liable then they dont come after you until you are earning £26k.
I would more be looking at if you could build on the foundation to transfer into a degree you want starting in Y2.

Really appreciate your help.

So I'm actually already earning over that as I was due to do part time in my job but haven't yet due to the mess up with the university stuff. So would probably be liable to pay right now.

My foundation degree was in communications systems, security & computing (2 year apprenticeship) but I want to get away from that. I was due to start wildlife conservation.

I have taken screenshots - thanks for pointing that out!

The appeal is with SFE so that's the issue really, as UWE wouldn't be aware - although I'm sure I did send a couple of emails querying various things and never got a response due to covid and they've obviously slipped through the cracks. Will dig them out. I think due to the uncertainty at the moment with the course all being online, I hope they'd understand my late application for finance and therefore my late revelation that I wasn't eligible :/ together with the lack of direction from the course leader.

Someone else has mentioned they possibly let people off in they withdraw within the first week or two of the start date... Plus this isn't teaching it's an induction month of online team building etc it seems(from Comms - I've not taken part).

Thank you again, Ive made note of your tips!
Original post by susiehc

So I'm actually already earning over that as I was due to do part time in my job but haven't yet due to the mess up with the university stuff. So would probably be liable to pay right now.

My foundation degree was in communications systems, security & computing (2 year apprenticeship) but I want to get away from that. I was due to start wildlife conservation.

The appeal is with SFE so that's the issue really, as UWE wouldn't be aware - although I'm sure I did send a couple of emails querying various things and never got a response due to covid and they've obviously slipped through the cracks. Will dig them out. I think due to the uncertainty at the moment with the course all being online, I hope they'd understand my late application for finance and therefore my late revelation that I wasn't eligible :/ together with the lack of direction from the course leader.

Someone else has mentioned they possibly let people off in they withdraw within the first week or two of the start date... Plus this isn't teaching it's an induction month of online team building etc it seems(from Comms - I've not taken part).

Then you would emphasise that you were seeking information before the deadline [ find the emails] and point out cv19 or their delay meant you didnt get an answer nor did you when you phoned them.

You really need to have made it clear you want to withdraw from the course because theres no funding, so its impossible to continue. Sooner thats done the better.

I would then maybe carry on with your current job and save up the fees, then go for it again plus pick up with sfe funding from year 2. I cant think of anything else. The fact I cant see the policy ( might be available elsewhere) but there may be clues in that. The uni isnt completely at fault its more fact of circumstances. Shame it was a late application.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by susiehc

According to the tuition fee policy here (https://www.uwe.ac.uk/courses/fees/tuition-fees-policy) you're liable for 25% of the fee if you withdraw in the first term, even if it's literally on the first day. I don't know if they're likely to be more lenient due to the circumstances but according to the policy you will be liable for 25%. The relevant part of the policy is in annex 8 on that page.
Original post by morningstar461
According to the tuition fee policy here (https://www.uwe.ac.uk/courses/fees/tuition-fees-policy) you're liable for 25% of the fee if you withdraw in the first term, even if it's literally on the first day. I don't know if they're likely to be more lenient due to the circumstances but according to the policy you will be liable for 25%. The relevant part of the policy is in annex 8 on that page.

What if you haven't paid anything and haven't attended any classes? Or attended only one or two classes? Will the university sue you for that 25%? Or can you just get away with it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending