The Student Room Group

A level subjects for Medicine

Hi, I’m currently studying first year at a levels doing Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I’m looking to go into Medicine and I’m aware that geography is not very helpful towards it and I’m starting to not really like it as I did before. Any advice for what I should do? I struggled in maths but I did well in GCSEs. So I don’t know what else to do.
read this thread that made here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

As well as being the thread that such queries should be posted in, it outlines common requirements and misconceptions and links to documents with all current medical school entry requirements.

In short, if you are taking both A-level Biology and A-level Chemistry already, the only medical school that would care what your third choice would be is Cambridge (which normally requires another STEM subject, which may be either physics or maths). Every other medical school will pretty much any A-level for your third choice, including A-level Geography. One (Newcastle) has no subject requirements at all.

So you can change to any subject you like, and you don't need to do A-level Maths even for Cambridge, and only Cambridge requires it to be another STEM subject anyway (and so if you didn't want to apply there then it's irrelevant what you pick).
Cambridge doesn't require A-level Maths, just a third STEM subject generally. Only a couple of colleges require A-level Maths specifically, and most will accept A-level Physics or A-level Maths. A few in principle would accept any subject but it would be very unusual I think.
Reply 3
Thank you! I’m worried because geography has no context to medicine, biology or chemistry and it’s completely different to them. And I haven’t heard of anyone doing geography and getting into medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
read this thread that @ecolier made here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

As well as being the thread that such queries should be posted in, it outlines common requirements and misconceptions and links to documents with all current medical school entry requirements.

In short, if you are taking both A-level Biology and A-level Chemistry already, the only medical school that would care what your third choice would be is Cambridge (which normally requires another STEM subject, which may be either physics or maths). Every other medical school will pretty much any A-level for your third choice, including A-level Geography. One (Newcastle) has no subject requirements at all.

So you can change to any subject you like, and you don't need to do A-level Maths even for Cambridge, and only Cambridge requires it to be another STEM subject anyway (and so if you didn't want to apply there then it's irrelevant what you pick).

Thank you! Will geography put me at a disadvantage to others who do maths alongside chem and bio? I think this was the reason for my concern because I don’t know anyone who has done chemistry and gotten into medicine.
Original post by Nithu56
Thank you! Will geography put me at a disadvantage to others who do maths alongside chem and bio? I think this was the reason for my concern because I don’t know anyone who has done chemistry and gotten into medicine.

It will only be a disadvantage if you apply to Cambridge; no other rmedical school prefers any subject for the third A-level that I know of.

Quick Reply

Latest