The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is St Andrews a racist university?

It's one of the places I'm considering applying to right now, but I've heard about A LOT of instances of racism there, like blackface at student parties and a lot of students casually using racial slurs. My brother went up there to see a friend a couple years ago and one of the students said he was surprised to see a brown person. So I just wanted to ask how bad it really was

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheOtherTeam
It's one of the places I'm considering applying to right now, but I've heard about A LOT of instances of racism there, like blackface at student parties and a lot of students casually using racial slurs. My brother went up there to see a friend a couple years ago and one of the students said he was surprised to see a brown person. So I just wanted to ask how bad it really was

Yes. If you take the first two letters of "Andrews" and swap them round (Na), and then the last letter of Uni (i), an then add a "Z", you get Nazi!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

This youtube post by a student there is informative. It also gives further links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4k_oGR4ua8

Here's an article about it: http://www.thesaint.scot/2020/06/being-a-black-student-at-st-andrews/

I'll leave it for you to interpret, but I'd say the answer is no.
Stupid things happen at all universities. Exeter, supposedly the most left-wing university in the United Kingdom had a time where swastikas were being painted on people's doors. You can't judge an entire an entire university by a small minority of people.
Original post by OxFossil
This youtube post by a student there is informative. It also gives further links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4k_oGR4ua8

she is correct about the lack of diversity (to be expected from a high-ranking uni in remote East Fife) but the "prevalence of racist incidents" makes out there is more than just the odd story once every 3 years of one student saying one thing in a private Whatsapp group.

it's simply masturbatory self-flagellation and its disappointing that students like this who get turned on by the idea of racism are actually making the diversity problem worse by scaring off black students
Original post by A Rolling Stone

she is correct about the lack of diversity (to be expected from a high-ranking uni in remote East Fife) but the "prevalence of racist incidents" makes out there is more than just the odd story once every 3 years of one student saying one thing in a private Whatsapp group.

it's simply masturbatory self-flagellation and its disappointing that students like this who get turned on by the idea of racism are actually making the diversity problem worse by scaring off black students

Hmmm...clearly, someone does have a sexual fetish about racism. But it's not the maker of that video.
Reply 7
A university can't be racist.

Some of the people who go there, however... Yes, they can be.

Will the people you go with be racist (should you choose to go)? Nobody can say, but the likelihood is you'll have some idiots, because that's the nature of humanity.
Hmmm...clearly, someone does have a sexual fetish about racism. But it's not the maker of that video.

it is.
it is.

Do you think making a sexual slur against a young woman on a social media platform is somehow commendable?
Do you think making a sexual slur against a young woman on a social media platform is somehow commendable?

i genuinely believe fetishisation of racism partly explains her attempts to portray the university as some kind of racist hellhole, she clearly gets a kick out of this because it is preposterous to claim that st andrews (one of the most politically correct places in the world) has a racism 'problem'. if there was no problem, the left would have nothing to keep themselves stimulated.
l dont think so if anyone in Scotland is been racist to anyone and its reported to the police the police will look into it and if there is a case that person/persons will be charged and taken to court no matter where you come from or where you were born in the world good chance you will be sent to prison yes prison so come to Scotland you have nothing to fear
i genuinely believe fetishisation of racism partly explains her attempts to portray the university as some kind of racist hellhole, she clearly gets a kick out of this because it is preposterous to claim that st andrews (one of the most politically correct places in the world) has a racism 'problem'. if there was no problem, the left would have nothing to keep themselves stimulated.

What would she possibly gain from exaggerating what she knows about St Andrews and racism? Suggesting she gets a ‘kick’ out of it is, quite frankly, odd. I understand a degree of what you’re saying in that she may have just been riding the wave of racial ‘calling out’ back then after the murder of George Floyd. As a black person I found some people simply performing well, jumping on the ‘trend’, not really aware of the gravity of the situation and/or their words. So if THAT’s what you mean then sure, I’d be inclined to somewhat agree that she could be saying things for the sake of it and throwing out big statements like ‘St Andrews has a PROBLEM’ because everyone else is about various institutions but that also doesn’t mean that what she said about St Andrews was completely wrong.

I wholeheartedly disagree with “if there was no problem, the left would have nothing to keep themselves stimulated”. It’s, in the nicest way possible and I don’t mean to offend, ridiculous. There’s SO much happening in the UK that the left are kept ‘stimulated’ by, racism, institutional racism racial injustice is only one major battle. I’m sure the vast majority of the left would be pleased if racism was entirely non-existent and that wasn’t something they needed to occupy themselves with anymore.

You mean well and (from seeing you in threads) you seem to love St Andrews and that’s obvs lovely, you’ve helped me out with some things about the uni (which I really appreciate!)
I’m considering applying there as I don’t really believe St Andrews is an overwhelmingly racist institution (imo Durham is and I’ll 100% stand by that) and you were a key force behind that decision but....come on.
Original post by Invariances
Stupid things happen at all universities. Exeter, supposedly the most left-wing university in the United Kingdom had a time where swastikas were being painted on people's doors. You can't judge an entire an entire university by a small minority of people.

Exeter "the most left-wing university in the UK"?
Anyone would tell you that's far from true, it's very much one of the more right-wing universities in the country
Original post by justjas33
What would she possibly gain from exaggerating what she knows about St Andrews and racism? Suggesting she gets a ‘kick’ out of it is, quite frankly, odd. I understand a degree of what you’re saying in that she may have just been riding the wave of racial ‘calling out’ back then after the murder of George Floyd. As a black person I found some people simply performing well, jumping on the ‘trend’, not really aware of the gravity of the situation and/or their words. So if THAT’s what you mean then sure, I’d be inclined to somewhat agree that she could be saying things for the sake of it and throwing out big statements like ‘St Andrews has a PROBLEM’ because everyone else is about various institutions but that also doesn’t mean that what she said about St Andrews was completely wrong.

I wholeheartedly disagree with “if there was no problem, the left would have nothing to keep themselves stimulated”. It’s, in the nicest way possible and I don’t mean to offend, ridiculous. There’s SO much happening in the UK that the left are kept ‘stimulated’ by, racism, institutional racism racial injustice is only one major battle. I’m sure the vast majority of the left would be pleased if racism was entirely non-existent and that wasn’t something they needed to occupy themselves with anymore.

You mean well and (from seeing you in threads) you seem to love St Andrews and that’s obvs lovely, you’ve helped me out with some things about the uni (which I really appreciate!)
I’m considering applying there as I don’t really believe St Andrews is an overwhelmingly racist institution (imo Durham is and I’ll 100% stand by that) and you were a key force behind that decision but....come on.

sorry if i caused offence but i do sincerely believe that this youtuber was, as you say jumping on a trend... there are almost 10,000 students in the town, you will hear of maybe 1 (verbal) incident every couple of years and i am so so angry that she is quite happy to put off black students from applying and make st andrews' diversity problem worse by portraying these as a "problem" the uni has, rather than making it clear they are isolated incidents she has made a list of going back to 2011 !
I heard tell that there was occasionally racism against the English, being as how St. Andrews is in Scotland, and that the 6-nations rugby ‘trigger’ isn’t always happening, so my friend survived, and loved it.

Times to hide in a cupboard given here: https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/
sorry if i caused offence but i do sincerely believe that this youtuber was, as you say jumping on a trend... there are almost 10,000 students in the town, you will hear of maybe 1 (verbal) incident every couple of years and i am so so angry that she is quite happy to put off black students from applying and make st andrews' diversity problem worse by portraying these as a "problem" the uni has, rather than making it clear they are isolated incidents she has made a list of going back to 2011 !

Fair enough! Ofc I have no experience of St Andrews and so can only go off what I find out online really....from what she said and what you’re saying I guess you get a broad overview of the uni. I’m more inclined to believe you as you’ve been more consistent in what you’ve said on this matter about St Andrews (compared to that youtuber’s one vid) but it wouldn’t be fair nor right to completely dismiss what she said!
But I totally get where you’re coming from though and your frustration - St Andrews will never become more ethnically diverse if black students continue to be put off by the uni, and it’s a shame as it really does seem like a class uni. Who knows, hopefully this year’s admissions will have a record number of BAME students applying to St Andrews (me hopefully being one of them if I’m brave enough lol)
Reply 17
@justjas33 Good luck. Would really like to know how you find St Andrews as I have a young black relative who would like to apply there.
Original post by Rugbee
@justjas33 Good luck. Would really like to know how you find St Andrews as I have a young black relative who would like to apply there.

Thank you! I’ve yet to 100% decide on applying, but if I do and end up with a place (🤞🏾) I’ve taken note of your user so I can update you on how I find it from sept 2021.
I’ll say one thing though: if anything that’s putting them off St Andrews regarding diversity they most definitely shouldn’t let it! Ik it’s hard considering going to a place for 4 years where you’ll be more of a minority compared to elsewhere in the UK, but from the general interactions ive had with St Andrews admissions, some students, etc, I’ve come to the conclusion that it won’t be as big of an issue as I’m making it out to be. If we remain hesitant of applying to places like St Andrews, they’ll always remain unethically diverse places!! If your relative really wants to apply then they should most definitely apply and not let that one factor stop them.
I currently live in Birmingham so it’ll be one insane heck of a shock, not just for diversity reasons, but life’s all about challenges, there’s no point restricting myself because of fear :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Invariances

Well actually you can! Fellow, right thinking students should be actively reporting such behaviour otherwise they actually are part of the problem!

Latest

Trending

Trending