The Student Room Group

Choosing a Cambridge College!

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone from Cambridge could give me a bit of an insight into life at some of the different colleges? I was thinking of St John's but herd it can be quite pretentious? Apparently there's a song.. "I'd rather go to Oxford than St John's", is there any truth in this and why do they have this reputation (if they do)? Also opinions on King's would be much appreciated, Pembroke, Sidney Sussex, G&C and just anywhere you think is nice! Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by GreenStudy10
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone from Cambridge could give me a bit of an insight into life at some of the different colleges? I was thinking of St John's but herd it can be quite pretentious? Apparently there's a song.. "I'd rather go to Oxford than St John's", is there any truth in this and why do they have this reputation (if they do)? Also opinions on King's would be much appreciated, Pembroke, Sidney Sussex, G&C and just anywhere you think is nice! Thanks in advance :smile:

That is a joke. In reality, some students probably secretly wish they were at St John’s. Choose a place you feel you will be happy.
Original post by Wired_1800
That is a joke. In reality, some students probably secretly wish they were at St John’s. Choose a place you feel you will be happy.

Oh haha ok I see, do you go to St John's? I would love to hear more about what it's like to go there
Original post by GreenStudy10
Oh haha ok I see, do you go to St John's? I would love to hear more about what it's like to go there

You can ask here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6250830&p=91220662&page=116#post91220662

There are many applicants exchanging views and ideas. You can ask there.
Original post by Wired_1800
You can ask here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6250830&p=91220662&page=116#post91220662

There are many applicants exchanging views and ideas. You can ask there.

Great thank you
Anything you read about pretentiousness, or classism, or anything like that was almost certainly written by someone who did not attend the university. You will find little to none of it at any of the colleges, so don't factor it into your decision.
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Anything you read about pretentiousness, or classism, or anything like that was almost certainly written by someone who did not attend the university. You will find little to none of it at any of the colleges, so don't factor it into your decision.

That's great to hear, thank you for your response. Can I ask do you go to Cambridge? I'd love to hear more about it from someone who went there! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending