The Student Room Group

Now that basically all open days are online are you going to go to more open days?

Basically all unis have moved all their open days online now - are you going to go to more of them because it doesn't cost so much to get to all these places?

have you been to some already? what did you think?
I don't know how to access any of them, so I'm not going to any open days... :tongue:
Original post by V℮rsions
I don't know how to access any of them, so I'm not going to any open days... :tongue:

oh no! which uni's virtual open days would you want to go to?
Original post by Gov.LeslieKnope
oh no! which uni's virtual open days would you want to go to?

I don't know what universities there are to be honest, probably UoB and York, Loughborough maybe but I haven't done research yet, I think I'll start this week or next week perhaps. But if the opening days are easy to access / posted online I'd definitely watch them. I'd much rather the physical but oh well :biggrin:
I'm not sure I'd even bother with an online open day, personally. I went to about 8 in person last year (when I was applying), and I think a lot of the information I got couldn't be imparted over the internet.
I don't know what universities there are to be honest, probably UoB and York, Loughborough maybe but I haven't done research yet, I think I'll start this week or next week perhaps. But if the opening days are easy to access / posted online I'd definitely watch them. I'd much rather the physical but oh well :biggrin:

ah yeah lots of unis are hosting like 'virtual' open days so a mix of things like webinars and Q&As with academics and students. Physical would definitely be better but like it's just not safe at the moment really y'know?

Do you know what subject you want to study?
Original post by Theloniouss
I'm not sure I'd even bother with an online open day, personally. I went to about 8 in person last year (when I was applying), and I think a lot of the information I got couldn't be imparted over the internet.

that's a lot of open days!!! where did you choose in the end and what made your mind up?

I believe Loughborough are looking at being able to host tours of campus next month - they’re putting measures in place to make it safe. So if you’re able to get to campus I’d definitely suggest checking it out!
that's a lot of open days!!! where did you choose in the end and what made your mind up?

I ended up firming Cambridge and putting Warwick down as my insurance (by some strange coincidence the same unis my parents went to). Honestly, it's hard to explain why :lol:
Cambridge is Cambridge; Warwick is in a really nice location, I liked the department and the lecturers there were really interesting.

Mostly, I ended up deciding by considering what I didn't like about the unis I visited rather than what I liked about them, so it was different for each one. I didn't like Durham's Biology department (also their cultish obsession with the 'Durham difference' was off-putting); Lancaster came across as less academic than I would've liked; etc.
I ended up firming Cambridge and putting Warwick down as my insurance (by some strange coincidence the same unis my parents went to). Honestly, it's hard to explain why :lol:
Cambridge is Cambridge; Warwick is in a really nice location, I liked the department and the lecturers there were really interesting.

Mostly, I ended up deciding by considering what I didn't like about the unis I visited rather than what I liked about them, so it was different for each one. I didn't like Durham's Biology department (also their cultish obsession with the 'Durham difference' was off-putting); Lancaster came across as less academic than I would've liked; etc.

woahh amazing! Congrats! that's so funny - i went to the UG my dad went to and the PG my mum went to (UWE / leeds respectively) - again totally a coincidence.

have you started uni yet? what's it like so far?
woahh amazing! Congrats! that's so funny - i went to the UG my dad went to and the PG my mum went to (UWE / leeds respectively) - again totally a coincidence.

have you started uni yet? what's it like so far?

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately - we'll see) I've ended up on a gap year after the A level results fiasco.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately - we'll see) I've ended up on a gap year after the A level results fiasco.

ahhh yikes well i hope you are getting to enjoy it!
ahhh yikes well i hope you are getting to enjoy it!

So far it's incredibly boring, but with any luck I'll come up with some stuff to do :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending