The Student Room Group

History

Hi, I've just started A-level History and am already overwhelmed by the amount of information I need to remember! If anyone has any good tips/revision exercises that would be useful please could you let me know. Thank you:smile:
Original post by hollie1928
Hi, I've just started A-level History and am already overwhelmed by the amount of information I need to remember! If anyone has any good tips/revision exercises that would be useful please could you let me know. Thank you:smile:

You dont need to remember it all, its not like GCSE.
History at a level is more about understanding the why and consequences of things rather than the what and when.

Make good notes so you have a good timeline of events and you know what happened and in what order.
What you are more interested in are the reasons why things happened and why people made the decisions they did plus what were the consequences.

Understand it once- make good notes then let it go. Watch a documentary if you need to. Exam questions on the subject arent bad either.

Its important to finish Y12 with notes and an understanding of what happened.

At some stage you will need to start being able to select, analyse and use that information by writing an essay or doing an evaluation. That is mostly for Y13 and exams to perfect.
Original post by 999tigger
History at a level is more about understanding the why and consequences of things rather than the what and when.

Make good notes so you have a good timeline of events and you know what happened and in what order.
What you are more interested in are the reasons why things happened and why people made the decisions they did plus what were the consequences.

Understand it once- make good notes then let it go. Watch a documentary if you need to. Exam questions on the subject arent bad either.

At some stage you will need to start being able to select, analyse and use that information by writing an essay or doing an evaluation. That is mostly for Y13 and exams to perfect.

Genuine question- did you do history A-level? We had to memorize a huge amount for the exams. We were marked mainly on analysis yes, but you had to remember tons of evidence TO analyse.

Always have a structure on how to answer the questions.
History uni student here, I would say make revision resources as you go (only for most important bits to remember) which require you to DO something with the information, for example summaries (as tight as you can), mindmaps, ranking events in order of significance etc. Use active recall- maybe using Memrise or Quizlet, or flashcards, for dates.
In Year 13 we were advised to make a big timeline and have it on our wall and regularly test ourselves on it. It really helped
Original post by historynerd47
Genuine question- did you do history A-level? We had to memorize a huge amount for the exams. We were marked mainly on analysis yes, but you had to remember tons of evidence TO analyse.

Yes thanks
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger

Thank you so much for your advice, will definitely consider that.
Reply 7
Original post by historynerd47
History uni student here, I would say make revision resources as you go (only for most important bits to remember) which require you to DO something with the information, for example summaries (as tight as you can), mindmaps, ranking events in order of significance etc. Use active recall- maybe using Memrise or Quizlet, or flashcards, for dates.
In Year 13 we were advised to make a big timeline and have it on our wall and regularly test ourselves on it. It really helped

Thank you!! I really appreciate the advice :smile:
Thank you!! I really appreciate the advice :smile:

That's okay! It's not to say you need to learn absolutely everything, but ask your teacher if in doubt on what you should be committing to memory- it varies a lot by topic and exam board :smile: Good luck!
Thank you so much for your advice, will definitely consider that.

Its great to have good notes and they can be made methodically. MY main point would be dont get upset and obsess on too much detail, just get a feel for the event and see if you can understand its shape and how it all fits together. Understanding the event makes it come alive and then you can look at what facts you might need and how to start looking at things like cause and consequence, which is what you will be asked about..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending