The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Any point in applying to UCL? (GCSE grades concern)

Interested in applying for History, entry requirement is AAA and that’s my predicted, but I’m also eligible for the contextual offer of ABB. I meet all requirements (apart from language, but there’s the option to fulfil that at UCL and I don’t mind in the slightest as I still regret not choosing a language at GCSE!) but I got a 4 in Maths instead of 5.
Due to extenuating circumstances I missed the majority of secondary school, hence not all my grades being what I’m actually capable of, but if I apply to UCL would I end up getting rejected immediately?
Thanks.
Reply 1
bump :frown:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Quite possibly, grade requirements for GCSE Maths and English language at universities tend to be "hard" requirements, as they're used as numeracy/literacy targets by the government and universities (and many employers). I would recommend retaking the GCSE if you can, however depending on your contextual circumstances they may be more flexible - I would suggest contacting them directly to ask about that before applying so you know for sure going into the application what they will be expecting. If not you may end up getting instantly rejected, or you may get a conditional offer with attaining a 5 in GCSE Maths in a retake as part of the conditions (without having arranged to sit the exam or preparing for it).
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Quite possibly, grade requirements for GCSE Maths and English language at universities tend to be "hard" requirements, as they're used as numeracy/literacy targets by the government and universities (and many employers). I would recommend retaking the GCSE if you can, however depending on your contextual circumstances they may be more flexible - I would suggest contacting them directly to ask about that before applying so you know for sure going into the application what they will be expecting. If not you may end up getting instantly rejected, or you may get a conditional offer with attaining a 5 in GCSE Maths in a retake as part of the conditions (without having arranged to sit the exam or preparing for it).

Hi, thank you for your honest answer.
Ah right, I was worried that would be the case! It’s a shame because there wasn’t a doubt in my mind or my teacher’s mind that I’m capable of a 6 at the least....it’s sucks when matters out of your control ruin it for you! Retaking isn’t really something I want to do, I’m in y13 now and my college are already stressed with all the previous y13s retaking, I’m stressed myself with getting back on track after no proper school since March etc, plus there’s so many good unis out there that don’t care about my maths GCSE you know?
I have emailed UCL about it though, I’ll see what they say. Thanks again.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, thank you for your honest answer.
Ah right, I was worried that would be the case! It’s a shame because there wasn’t a doubt in my mind or my teacher’s mind that I’m capable of a 6 at the least....it’s sucks when matters out of your control ruin it for you! Retaking isn’t really something I want to do, I’m in y13 now and my college are already stressed with all the previous y13s retaking, I’m stressed myself with getting back on track after no proper school since March etc, plus there’s so many good unis out there that don’t care about my maths GCSE you know?
I have emailed UCL about it though, I’ll see what they say. Thanks again.

Hi could you update when they get back to you?
Reply 5
Original post by bluecat101
Hi could you update when they get back to you?

Sure :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending