The Student Room Group

Civil service grades suitable for recent graduates

I have graduated this year and I would really like to get a job in the public sector. However, after a search, I can see that there are different grades in each vacancy (eg EO, AO etc) and I am not sure which roles I can apply for as a recent graduate with no work experience. (I have just done a summer internship and I worked at a supermarket in the past)
Most likely EO and HEO. You'll be able to tell in the job requirements and it won't mention prior experience in that sector. Civil Service Fast Stream is open now, and most people apply straight from university, maybe check that out too.
Reply 2
If you are happy with an EO job then just look on the Civil Service Jobs site but if you want to go in at HEO then Fast Stream is the way to go. You don't want to go in at AO level as that's a waste of 5 years.

You'll have a better choice of jobs if you achieved a 2.1 or higher.
Reply 3
Original post by nutz99
If you are happy with an EO job then just look on the Civil Service Jobs site but if you want to go in at HEO then Fast Stream is the way to go. You don't want to go in at AO level as that's a waste of 5 years.

You'll have a better choice of jobs if you achieved a 2.1 or higher.

Yeah, I got a first class in Economics. Why would going into AO be a waste of 5 years?
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous_7899
Most likely EO and HEO. You'll be able to tell in the job requirements and it won't mention prior experience in that sector. Civil Service Fast Stream is open now, and most people apply straight from university, maybe check that out too.

Yeah, but its veryhard to get into Fast Stream and its extremely competitive. I got rejected last year
Reply 5
Original post by BTS_biased
Yeah, I got a first class in Economics. Why would going into AO be a waste of 5 years?

Because it’s the bottom rung of the ladder and you could apply for AO with just GCSEs. You don’t want to effectively waste taking A levels and the degree. If you can achieve a first in economics then you have the ability to get onto Fast Stream as long as you have the confidence to go with it. I’m pretty sure you can apply for the Fast Stream as well as EO posts so go for both.
Reply 6
Original post by nutz99
Because it’s the bottom rung of the ladder and you could apply for AO with just GCSEs. You don’t want to effectively waste taking A levels and the degree. If you can achieve a first in economics then you have the ability to get onto Fast Stream as long as you have the confidence to go with it. I’m pretty sure you can apply for the Fast Stream as well as EO posts so go for both.

Woww I didn't know GCSEs would be enough for AO!
Thank you for the encouragement! I will give it a try and apply for the Fast Stream position.
Btw is there a way of getting to a higher position after getting in as an EO?
Reply 7
Woww I didn't know GCSEs would be enough for AO!
Thank you for the encouragement! I will give it a try and apply for the Fast Stream position.
Btw is there a way of getting to a higher position after getting in as an EO?

I used to work for HMRC and the AOs there and in DWP have quite pressured jobs because they are the ones that mainly deal with the public. There is a high turnover because for many people the job is not what they thought it would be. The training can be very basic and you are thrown in at the deep end. The training is much better at EO and above.

I have several friends who have worked their way up from EO. There are a lot of factors like how big the dept is, does the job give you the opportunity to reach up or show your potential and whether you are prepared to move for promotion.

Good luck whatever you go for.
Reply 8
Original post by nutz99
I used to work for HMRC and the AOs there and in DWP have quite pressured jobs because they are the ones that mainly deal with the public. There is a high turnover because for many people the job is not what they thought it would be. The training can be very basic and you are thrown in at the deep end. The training is much better at EO and above.
I have several friends who have worked their way up from EO. There are a lot of factors like how big the dept is, does the job give you the opportunity to reach up or show your potential and whether you are prepared to move for promotion.

Good luck whatever you go for.

Thank you! May I ask why you decided to leave?
Reply 9
Thank you! May I ask why you decided to leave?

Ill health. The job I had was quite interesting although I am not allowed to go into too much detail. It was in Risk and Intelligence.

There are plenty of interesting areas to work in HMRC - Compliance, KAI (Knowledge, Analysis and Intelligence), Risk & Intelligence, Fraud Investigation Service. Anything involving risk, intelligence or fraud is pretty interesting and areas where promotion can be obtained quickly. There are also opportunities in FIS to work unsocial hours and get an extra allowance - FIS are the people that go out and make dawn raids with the police!

Worst place to work in HMRC is Personal Tax. If you apply to HMRC pick the posts you apply for carefully - that's if you have a choice.
Original post by nutz99
Ill health. The job I had was quite interesting although I am not allowed to go into too much detail. It was in Risk and Intelligence.

There are plenty of interesting areas to work in HMRC - Compliance, KAI (Knowledge, Analysis and Intelligence), Risk & Intelligence, Fraud Investigation Service. Anything involving risk, intelligence or fraud is pretty interesting and areas where promotion can be obtained quickly. There are also opportunities in FIS to work unsocial hours and get an extra allowance - FIS are the people that go out and make dawn raids with the police!

Worst place to work in HMRC is Personal Tax. If you apply to HMRC pick the posts you apply for carefully - that's if you have a choice.

Ah I see. Thank you for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it :smile: And I also hope you are now doing well (with regards to your health).

Quick Reply