The Student Room Group

I’m jealous of girls with rich boyfriends

I feel that in never satisfied with my relationship despite it being quite good. My bf gives me little gifts, nice dinners and cute stuff on my birthday and other special occasions. I love it in the moment and i get so happy but then i see women who are dating men who can afford to buy them designer bags and fly them to nice holiday spots. Even my friend who has a boyfriend who comes from a rich family makes me envious and i’m so ashamed that i feel this way??

I am happy with my life, i have a good job for my age, i finished uni, my family are probably better than most, but i just loves to be spoiled . Idk if it makes me feel like i have a better boyfriend that anyone else? I just want flowers and extravagant things.
I love to spoil my boyfriend and do it all the time, i buy him expensive things but he’s so easily pleased he prefers little things anyway.

Today i asked him if he wanted to go shopping in harrods with me (just browsing) and he said he wouldn’t want to unless he had a house. I said we’d wait til our 30s then and he just seemed so pessimistic and told me to stop dreaming about him buying me designer stuff. I totally get that it’s not realistic , i get that i’m asking for a lot but i cant help it? Why does EVERY couple on social media (even normal girls) have boyfriends that can drive, live alone, but they stuff??? Mine can’t drive, buys me little things and has poor credit lol.

Scroll to see replies

Time to turn into a sugar baby :smile:
Original post by dj_ad_1
Time to turn into a sugar baby :smile:

Don't forget the onlyfans
Why not treat yourself to expensive things instead?

Go out and earn your own money to splash on materialistic things - Not everyone can afford to spoil you, not everyone is that focused on materialistic things and actually appreciates what their relationship is.

I personally couldn't date a person that was focused on expensive materialistic things all of the time because I'd personally just be thinking of how much of a spoilt brat they were. (Although I can appreciate that others might not see it that way)

If anything your boyfriend sounds financially sensible - A lot of people desire and appreciate financial maturity.
Honestly, you're coming off quite ungrateful and glory-obsessed right now.

You have a boyfriend. Why do you need to look online and then compare those artificial, paper boyfriends to the one you really have? Don't you understand that people predominantly post positives on social media? I think the problem, may, by a slim chance, perhaps, be with your understanding.

You can't help but feel jealous, that's no fault of yours. However, if you understand that it's an inappropriate thing to think, then it makes sense to never act on it. As long as you don't force your desire to be spoiled on your boyfriend, your relationships is sound.

This is my attempt to ground you to the earth and to remind you that the world isn't perfect, so be grateful for what you have.
Original post by Anonymous
but i just loves to be spoiled .

Why did I read this bit in my head in Dobby's voice?
I feel that in never satisfied with my relationship despite it being quite good. My bf gives me little gifts, nice dinners and cute stuff on my birthday and other special occasions. I love it in the moment and i get so happy but then i see women who are dating men who can afford to buy them designer bags and fly them to nice holiday spots. Even my friend who has a boyfriend who comes from a rich family makes me envious and i’m so ashamed that i feel this way??

I am happy with my life, i have a good job for my age, i finished uni, my family are probably better than most, but i just loves to be spoiled . Idk if it makes me feel like i have a better boyfriend that anyone else? I just want flowers and extravagant things.
I love to spoil my boyfriend and do it all the time, i buy him expensive things but he’s so easily pleased he prefers little things anyway.

Today i asked him if he wanted to go shopping in harrods with me (just browsing) and he said he wouldn’t want to unless he had a house. I said we’d wait til our 30s then and he just seemed so pessimistic and told me to stop dreaming about him buying me designer stuff. I totally get that it’s not realistic , i get that i’m asking for a lot but i cant help it? Why does EVERY couple on social media (even normal girls) have boyfriends that can drive, live alone, but they stuff??? Mine can’t drive, buys me little things and has poor credit lol.

Yikes, you sounded awesome at first then towards the end you sound like a wannabe toff/posh girl.

Remember, money can’t buy you happiness. Stop comparing yourself to others. Be happy with what you have. A lot of people are less fortunate than you, and more fortunate. We can’t all have everything in life.

Oh and if you want to be shallow to your bf and feel he is not good enough for you, stop stringing him along, end it and find yourself a rich bf so he can find a better more humble gf who is not as materialistic as you.
(edited 3 years ago)
ah this post made me feel sick. First, decide whether you want to remain in the relationship. You have a right to want what you want but you don't have a right to impose your luxuries on the lad. Tell him that you're not happy because he can't afford to treat you like your friends partners. Tell him that, so you can see the look on his face. He won't be happy, he'll probably get upset and loose confidence but he might just leave you and become everything you wanted in a man. Leave him, so you can realise that its not about the gifts.
Reply 8
Social media is not realistic. Do not expect your life to be like that, you will only ever be disappointed.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Social media is not realistic. Do not expect your life to be like that, you will only ever be disappointed.

Too true! I deleted instagram and fb cos it made me super depressed. :frown:. I kept comparing myself to others and it made me sick. It was awful.
Honestly, you're coming off quite ungrateful and glory-obsessed right now.

You have a boyfriend. Why do you need to look online and then compare those artificial, paper boyfriends to the one you really have? Don't you understand that people predominantly post positives on social media? I think the problem, may, by a slim chance, perhaps, be with your understanding.

You can't help but feel jealous, that's no fault of yours. However, if you understand that it's an inappropriate thing to think, then it makes sense to never act on it. As long as you don't force your desire to be spoiled on your boyfriend, your relationships is sound.

This is my attempt to ground you to the earth and to remind you that the world isn't perfect, so be grateful for what you have.

i know i do and that’s the issue. i know it’s unrealistic , But then why does EVERY girl have a bf with a nice car? Why does every boy on twitter get his girlfriend a louis vuitton bag? Why do i see these posts on my timeline everyday ??? why is everything jus ‘___ got a chanel bag from her man, don’t settle girls!!!’

It’s not just like love island couples i’m jealous of. It’s literally real life people and i can’t make sense of how
It seems apparent that your view of what can be reasonably expected from a guy your age is perhaps a bit skewed. For example: I have a better salary than the vast majority of 22 year olds, and I am reasonable with my money, but I would not be able to afford to buy a girl such gifts as you've mentionedWhat do you bring to the table that makes you worth spending money on a Louis Vuitton bag?
You should break up with him, he deserves a great deal better.
Hahahaha.
"I know I'm being unreasonable" ...but
"I know I'm wrong" ...but
"I know it's unrealistic" ...but

I think you need to understand that you're unreasonable, wrong and unrealistic without any "but" involved. It's clear as day that you don't understand.
Don't be jealous of girls with rich bf's who give them expensive outings and luxury gifts.
Often very affluent guys have lousy personalities, are also highly demanding and trade the generous gifts in exchange for control- sometimes to the point of cruelty or sexual coercion.
The reality behind the dream is often a lot less attractive than the glossy magazine features and staged highly edited social media images appear.

If you want a glamorous life filled with plenty of every day luxuries, change your ambitions and tactics to maximise your chances of obtaining it.
By working hard, networking even more and earning it for yourself.
Alternatively by becoming a trophy gf/wife to a super wealthy celeb, high net worth financier or trust funder with a large cash bank balance plus collection of high value physical assets.
Those relationships often carry a shelf life that tends to be limited to 10 years or less.
With plenty of intense stress, affairs, vicious divorces and rumours of abusive or criminal situations involving violence/drugs.
But they can be lucrative while they last and often involve divorce settlements like the £5million a year for life paid to Melissa Miller or child support of £10k a month plus school fees for up to 18 years per child.
i know i do and that’s the issue. i know it’s unrealistic , But then why does EVERY girl have a bf with a nice car? Why does every boy on twitter get his girlfriend a louis vuitton bag? Why do i see these posts on my timeline everyday ??? why is everything jus ‘___ got a chanel bag from her man, don’t settle girls!!!’

It’s not just like love island couples i’m jealous of. It’s literally real life people and i can’t make sense of how

What total rubbish. You are obviously following the wrong sort of people. Normal people don't brag about what they have bought for their partners and most people don't waste that sort of money on a handbag. You need to get a reality check or you are just going to spend your life wanting what you are unlikely to have. By the time you are sorted in life - house, career etc - to the point where you can comfortably afford all these designer trappings then you will have found much more satisfying things to spend your money on. Things, and people, that matter.
yikes, you sound horrible.
Seems like everybody's got a price
I wonder how they sleep at night
When the sale comes first
And the truth comes second
Just stop for a minute and smile
Why is everybody so serious?
Acting so damn mysterious
Got shades on your eyes
And your heels so high
That you can't even have a good time
This is just so sillyyy to write a post about lol. Everyone would probably like a few nice expensive things but if they can't afford it then it's easy to just get over it. To me it seems like such a strange thing to be worried about in your relationship, and if you were truly happy otherwise I don't see why you would focus on it.

Social media is not realistic, just because someone gets a designer bag or holiday from their boyfriend doesn't mean their relationship is perfect. You're looking for perfection, considering everything else in your life is going well. But you'll never achieve it and it would do you a great deal of good to start focusing on less materialistic things.
don’t you get that i came here to seek advice , im aware that how i feel is wrong and i’m embarrassed. I literally can’t help it and it’s been eating me alive and messing with my views on relationships for months. Its causing me to be unreasonable and i wanted some help. What makes you think you’re so much better when you call a stranger disgusting ...?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending