The Student Room Group

How many hours a week do you have to spend in uni? (Undergraduate degrees)

Hi guys, I want to study Finance, but I am in a very rigid 9-5 job where I can't simply ask days off to attend uni. I was wondering how many hours on average do you have to spend in uni attending lectures? Do you have any idea if it's quite common to find courses run during evenings or weekends for people who like me are stuck in a Mon-Fri 9-5 situation but still want to study full time?I can't be the only person who has had this problem but I am really struggling to find any decent information.I appreciate all your help!
Reply 1
Original post by samiracaruso
Hi guys, I want to study Finance, but I am in a very rigid 9-5 job where I can't simply ask days off to attend uni. I was wondering how many hours on average do you have to spend in uni attending lectures? Do you have any idea if it's quite common to find courses run during evenings or weekends for people who like me are stuck in a Mon-Fri 9-5 situation but still want to study full time?I can't be the only person who has had this problem but I am really struggling to find any decent information.I appreciate all your help!

You cannot take up a full time university course if working 9-5. You would need to find a part time course. The best option is probably somewhere like the open university where you can work at your own pace and do more if you are really motivated and don't want to do anything but study when you are not at work to complete it as soon as possible.
Reply 2
You need to be on site during the week. I think mine was 12 hours for first year then 20 in 2nd.
Maybe think about open university, you can do that around full time work. There's many people who do open uni courses because full time brick uni isn't for them.
Original post by plainjayne1
You need to be on site during the week. I think mine was 12 hours for first year then 20 in 2nd.
Maybe think about open university, you can do that around full time work. There's many people who do open uni courses because full time brick uni isn't for them.

Totally agree- this is what open university was originally designed for
Reply 4
For something like finance it is always worth considering a professional accountancy qualification instead of a degree. They can be the same level as a degree and are very often sponsored by employers so they would pay any course fees and give you a day off each week to attend lectures and/or study.
Reply 5

You could do a degree with the open university, that would allow you flexibility.
Birkbeck does Evening degrees after work? Over longer period but you can keep working.
I do a law degree, which is minimal contact hours (12 or 15) but it still needs you to study most of the rest of time.
Thank you everyone! I already looked at open university but they had no course I was interested in... I think I will go with Birkbeck University, they have similar courses to what I was looking for.
Reply 8
Thank you everyone! I already looked at open university but they had no course I was interested in... I think I will go with Birkbeck University, they have similar courses to what I was looking for.

Good luck with it.
Original post by Plain1
Good luck with it.

Thank you!! :h:
To add onto the previous points, the number of contact hours is not representative of how long you should be spending on a degree. A full time degree is, by definition, full time and you'd typically be expected to spend 40 hours a week on that. Most people do not realistically have 80+ hours a week to spend on a full time job and full time study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending