The Student Room Group

over protective parents

my parents are amazing! I will be heading off to uni soon and they've done literally everything for me: from what stuff to buy, packing and even the cooking so I don't have to cook when I enter my self catered accommodation. They have always done everything for me.

My concern is that I won't be independent and be able to manage on my own.
Don't worry. :smile:
You will get used to life as an independent adult at uni very quickly.
Unpacking, cooking your own food, doing your own shopping and laundry.
You might want to learn your parent's recipes for some of your favourite meals and how to prepare a few simple snacks.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Don't worry. :smile:
You will get used to life as an independent adult at uni very quickly.
Unpacking, cooking your own food, doing your own shopping and laundry.
You might want to learn your parent's recipes for some of your favourite meals and how to prepare a few simple snacks.

I've only got a few days though
Original post by Anonymous
I've only got a few days though

That is more than enough time.
What are you favourite meals?
Are your parents willing to show you how to cook them or write out some recipes for you to follow?
my parents are amazing! I will be heading off to uni soon and they've done literally everything for me: from what stuff to buy, packing and even the cooking so I don't have to cook when I enter my self catered accommodation. They have always done everything for me.

Your parents sound great. I wouldn't worry about anything it's a learning curve.
Reply 5
Original post by londonmyst
That is more than enough time.
What are you favourite meals?
Are your parents willing to show you how to cook them or write out some recipes for you to follow?

Well they'll just say that I don't have to worry about cooking. They'll just give me the food which I can put in my freezer and then I'll just heat it up whenever I want to eat.
Well they'll just say that I don't have to worry about cooking. They'll just give me the food which I can put in my freezer and then I'll just heat it up whenever I want to eat.

Will your parents be visiting very regularly then? Tbh, it's better to cook your own food (which you can learn to do either before you go or while you're there), rather than relying on deliveries from your parents.

Hiya!

I think it's totally normal for parents to be a little overprotective and worrying about you before heading off to uni as they will miss you! They will totally understand that you will eventually need to be independent but probably just want to help you out along the way. If you're eager to learn to cook and make your own meals then speak to them about it or perhaps go and do a food shop with them or even plan out your meals for your first week at uni so you know what you have and what extra food you need to buy. It is really handy having meals already in the freezer so you can defrost them and eat them when you cannot be bothered to cook, but its also great to cook for yourself and learn a new skill!

It's the best thing having your parents and friends support when at uni and them only being a phone call away, as it is a totally new experience that makes your learn about your own independence. Perhaps set up a weekly Facetime call with them so you can stay in contact as I'm sure they will appreciate that a lot.

Have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep:smile:
im the same but im in 2nd year now. My cooking is awful even though my mum packed me all the spices i need. I have laundry to do, grocery shopping and i need to clean my room. Ngl i feel as though i have no time to study. My advice is the same advice i give to myself, plan out your day so that you use your time wisely.

My mum also cooks food and freezes it for me and i defrost it

Hi there, you can tackle this concern. My advice would be to break things down a little bit. I am sure it might be a little anxious as you think of everything as one huge mountain to climb made up of so many things you have to do. Take each of the tasks you have to do at one time and then break them down into small chunks i.e. for cooking maybe start breaking it down into ok budget, what do I like to eat that simple to cook that maybe I could find youtube videos, find supermarket, buy equipment needed etc. This may seem really simple but is effective and you almost create a checklist in your mind as this should just help gives some clarity and help with the process. I hope this is helpful advice, be kind to yourself, if you don't get everything spot on the first time its ok keep learning, and you can do this!
im the same but im in 2nd year now. My cooking is awful even though my mum packed me all the spices i need. I have laundry to do, grocery shopping and i need to clean my room. Ngl i feel as though i have no time to study. My advice is the same advice i give to myself, plan out your day so that you use your time wisely.

My mum also cooks food and freezes it for me and i defrost it

you can learn stuff its good to try cooking stuff yourself. look up recipes try stuff. experiment.
Original post by keblundell
you can learn stuff its good to try cooking stuff yourself. look up recipes try stuff. experiment.

guys I am at uni now and have just been using their food. I want to cook but I want to do lots of other stuff and then when I feel hungry I just want food as soon as possible.

I also have strict parents. When I did my foundation in uni they were so uptight but by second term they were barely strict. They are just worried because you are about to start something new in your life. There are people who can influence you badly and they can’t protect you. I advice you to try joining your university groupchat and talk to your flat mates whenever you see them. Or you can email your uni to put you in an accommodation with mostly first years.
Original post by sharonmaks
I also have strict parents. When I did my foundation in uni they were so uptight but by second term they were barely strict. They are just worried because you are about to start something new in your life. There are people who can influence you badly and they can’t protect you. I advice you to try joining your university groupchat and talk to your flat mates whenever you see them. Or you can email your uni to put you in an accommodation with mostly first years.

cheers but I'm already at uni but I don#t think my parents are strict, they just do a lot for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending