The Student Room Group

Not enjoying university one bit

paying nearly 7k to live in an accommodation that I don’t even need to be at. I’ve made 0 friends because absolutely and I mean absolutely everything is online even societies. University completely lied about any in person classes or ‘educational activities’ and this is not me complaining that I want face to face classes because I realise that that isn’t possible right now. I’m just saying it’s wrong how the university deceived us. Flatmates are extremely loud so I can’t even study in peace. No help from teachers with the work. Kind of just been thrown at the deep end and let to get on with it. It’s just horrible how we’re being treated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
paying nearly 7k to live in an accommodation that I don’t even need to be at. I’ve made 0 friends because absolutely and I mean absolutely everything is online even societies. University completely lied about any in person classes or ‘educational activities’ and this is not me complaining that I want face to face classes because I realise that that isn’t possible right now. I’m just saying it’s wrong how the university deceived us. Flatmates are extremely loud so I can’t even study in peace. No help from teachers with the work. Kind of just been thrown at the deep end and let to get on with it. It’s just horrible how we’re being treated

It sounds pretty rubbish, but what is the alternative? What do you want universities to do?
Reply 2
It sounds pretty rubbish, but what is the alternative? What do you want universities to do?

Let me out of my accommodation contract so I can go the f*** back home and save 7k and actually get to study in peace how about that?
Reply 3
What were you expecting?

Never the year to be starting Uni. I would stick it out. Anything in life, job, education is always tough for a month. Maybe set up an online page for your class/group?? gl.
Reply 4
Original post by 1Ronaldo
What were you expecting?

Never the year to be starting Uni. I would stick it out. Anything in life, job, education is always tough for a month. Maybe set up an online page for your class/group?? gl.

What was I expecting? Uhm perhaps the promises made by the uni in their MULTIPLE emails to me across the summer telling me I NEED to move to campus because there will be classes. How about that? It just sucks being here all alone no support whatsoever. The government and uni has no respect for mental health of students it’s disgusting
I hated my 1st year and it was in person. Use this as an opportunity to get some real knowledge behind you for your 2nd year.
It's normal not to get help from teachers. It's also normal to get thrown it at the deep end.
My first lecture was statistics at 9am on my first day and I cried. I had no idea what they were talking about.
Discuss the noise with your flatmates or ask someone from your uni to help mediate.
Leave your uni accommodation if it's all online and fight your contract from home.
Many people feel the same as you do right now. You can get through it. I know it's hard and it doesn't seem like it'll get better, but it will.
Call your family and friends from home. Arrange a regular time to speak to them every evening.
You really are not alone.
Reply 6
check your tenancy agreement on how to get out of your accommodation and speak to your landlord. it’s not going to get to the point of ‘normal’ university so you have to accept that or figure your way out of it i’m afraid.
I understand why you're angry, and maybe it's helped you a bit to vent a little, but you need to take constructive steps to make the best of a very difficult and unfortunate situation.

These are the actions you need to take, do them step by step:
- Remember, you are in the same accommodation and attending the same course as thousands of students before you. Money-wise, you are no better or worse off than they were.
- If you do want to go home, speak to your Uni's accommodation department. See if you can cancel your accommodation contract. If not, remember the above.
- You are getting your education. Presumably, you are taking a worthwhile degree with good prospects. You are in a very good position and with hard work you will go far. But you DO need to put in the work - you are in first year so there is a bit more wiggle room, but you do need to make sure you get a good foundation
- This means that you need to take your work into your own hands. Do the assigned reading and homework. If you don't understand something, email or schedule a video call with your tutor with specific, clear questions. If you are still overwhelmed, email your tutor asking for good starting points and resources to help you.
- Make sure you watch every lecture in a timely manner. This is one of the most important things you can do for success.
- Try to get into contact with people on your course. It helps a lot to study together, you can bounce ideas off each other and help each other with the content/assignments
- Reach out to your university's pastoral support if you are still feeling very overwhelmed
- Register with your Uni's GP and make an appointment with them if that doesn't help
- Try to get into contact with friends/family if you can. Talk through things with them, sometimes it helps just to say things out loud.
- There are other options if you go through all these steps and are still feeling like this. You may want to take a gap year, switch course, switch Uni, or even drop out. At the end of the day, this is your decision now. It's your life.

Good luck.
I mean all you can do is make the best out of a bad situation and either study very hard, using the resources they have provided.

But also do try and make some social effort, everyone is in exactly the same situation and it's early days so dont give up hope !
I know it’s a hard pill to swallow but the prime reason you’re at uni is to get your education and career. I know what you’re experiencing is making your educational experience more dull but there isn’t any point of complaining. If you cannot stop the contract then you just have to accept it.
(edited 3 years ago)
What was I expecting? Uhm perhaps the promises made by the uni in their MULTIPLE emails to me across the summer telling me I NEED to move to campus because there will be classes. How about that? It just sucks being here all alone no support whatsoever. The government and uni has no respect for mental health of students it’s disgusting

I think you are wanting people to tell you to leave as that’s what you have told yourself. I think stick it out, dig in and in the long term your prospects will be greater. Right now many people will leave or not start. Digging in now will bring rewards. Enjoy the relaxed online work. Try and pick up a Pt Job to meet friends? Can be done. But I fear you’ve made your mind up!
I think you are wanting people to tell you to leave as that’s what you have told yourself. I think stick it out, dig in and in the long term your prospects will be greater. Right now many people will leave or not start. Digging in now will bring rewards. Enjoy the relaxed online work. Try and pick up a Pt Job to meet friends? Can be done. But I fear you’ve made your mind up!

No as much as I’m hating my time here with these people and this room, there’s no ‘giving up’ I love what I’m studying and despite the workload I’m happy to be studying the degree I am because I know there are going to be so many job prospects waiting for me once I graduate. I just needed to vent a little
No as much as I’m hating my time here with these people and this room, there’s no ‘giving up’ I love what I’m studying and despite the workload I’m happy to be studying the degree I am because I know there are going to be so many job prospects waiting for me once I graduate. I just needed to vent a little

Yep. Get exercising, find a PT job and everything will be great. I went to Uni, and a core group of 4 or 5 friends but worked in retail and made all my friends that way!
Let me out of my accommodation contract so I can go the f*** back home and save 7k and actually get to study in peace how about that?

Surely you are still getting your student loan though? So there is no reason you can't pay. Go home of your mental health is suffering.
Surely you are still getting your student loan though? So there is no reason you can't pay. Go home of your mental health is suffering.

Student loan covers 5k of my rent I’m having to pay 2k of my own savings
Yep. Get exercising, find a PT job and everything will be great. I went to Uni, and a core group of 4 or 5 friends but worked in retail and made all my friends that way!

There's not that many jobs right now tbf. Even Christmas jobs, that students usually rely on, are few and far between right now. They're usually advertised by now and I've not seen anything.
Finding that core group of friends is difficult if you can't leave your flat, some people can't leave their room unless it's to eat or go the toilet.
Other people have given you some great tips, but here's a couple more. You could buy noise cancelling headphones. Make the most of being allowed outdoors do see the sights and exercise. Get a weekend/evening job so you can have a change of mind. Take up a hobby, again for change of mind. Also with uni, the whole point is that you learn to study independently - they just set you the work then you have to figure it all out for yourself by using various resources, that the whole idea why you're there. If you really don't understand something and can't find the answers from the resources or your coursemates, then email the tutor and explain that you're really struggling to understand. But the emphasis really is on being independent and preparing you to be able to apply the skills to the world of work after your degree - when you're in a job, you can't expect people to be constantly sitting down with you and explaining everything for you
Might as well do an online degree, right?
Original post by NowAndThen
Might as well do an online degree, right?

Well I am
Well I am

You mean it has now become an online degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending