The Student Room Group

Wasted my 20s

I’m 18 and going uni, by the time I’m finished, done placements and secured a job I would be 26 if god wills. My degree gives me no time for social life, ever year is waited and I’ll be preoccupied with passing exams and interviews. My friends are doing 3 year degrees so they will be 21 when they’re done and I will basically be done at 30. Does anyone regret not having fun in their 20s ? Did you still have fun studying pharmacy and medicine ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't compare yourself to your friends.
Reply 2
Original post by gtty123
Don't compare yourself to your friends.

Yes I shouldn’t, I’m not really comparing tho I used it for emphasis. I too could take a shorter undergrad but there’s none for my interests. They may see me as unlucky but I see my self as lucky for being able to pursue a career in the medical field. Of course it will be long, the good of humanity will literally lie in my hands. My question is, how did you have fun in your 20s whilst balancing the stress.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I shouldn’t, I’m not really comparing tho I used it for emphasis. I too could take a shorter undergrad but there’s none for my interests. They may see me as unlucky but I see my self as lucky for being able to pursue a career in the medical field. Of course it will be long, the good of humanity will literally lie in my hands. My question is, how did you have fun in your 20s whilst balancing the stress.

Your post says otherwise...

I'm not even 20 yet lol. I still "have fun" and learn. You just have to manage it properly. A skill we call - time management.
Reply 4
Original post by gtty123
Your post says otherwise...

I'm not even 20 yet lol. I still "have fun" and learn. You just have to manage it properly. A skill we call - time management.

I’m lucky to get into the field I’ve chosen, but it requires extensive dedication and commitment. That was my point. What do u study tho
What you are writing / thinking is not a reality. It is a delusion of your own invention.
Reply 6
You’re right. My fiend brought up that he’s doing history and Nottingham and will be finished at 21 and I’ll nowhere be near. So I’ve been thinking about it ever since. Though he’d need to master before getting a decent job though ? Or is it really that quick, if it is good for them
Reply 7
I’m lucky to get into the field I’ve chosen, but it requires extensive dedication and commitment. That was my point. What do u study tho

If you chose that field - surely you were aware of the commitments required?

I'm going to be studying Law at university - not officially started yet.
Reply 8
It always depends on doing what you love. Ask yourself whether you will regret not studying pharmacy and medicine or instead regret enjoying your life in the twenties after completing your degree by 21. The twenties are a nice time to enjoy life but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy life after 30 every stage in life has its unique combination of amazing things you need to experience. Some universities allow med students to have a social life to enjoy their lives while completing their studies well. GOOD LUCK!!
How can you save you've wasted your 20s when you're not even 20 yet. Studying a long hard degree does not mean you cannot enjoy yourself, it is in fact very rewarding to be devoted to a discipline and have a forward momentum in life. Some people can only dream of such meaning and direction.
As for no time for social life, I find that very hard to believe. The way to make the most of it is to spend your weekdays studying, and leave your weekends completely free to do as you please. That way you do not feel guilty when you aren't studying.
Sorry ignore
(edited 3 years ago)
Is it medicine?
don't worry mate, you're doing a good degree, you'll have a good life once you're finished. you'll still meet new people and make friends at med school, and life definitely doesn't end at 30 :smile:
Here I thought this post was going to be "I spent all my 20s partying and scraped my way through a degree, now that I've wasted my 20s can I get my career back on track?" :tongue:

There isn't any degree programme, including medicine, dentistry, and vet med, which would prevent you from having a social life. Only you can prevent you from having a social life.
When I was doing my first degree all the medics were having the times of their lives. Studying, partying, doing EC stuff to put on their CV for foundation applications etc. The medics sports teams were hated by our union.

Now I'm a graduate studying medicine and until corona ruined everything, I still managed to have a good time and my course is way more intense that yours is.

You can have fun and have a life whilst being a medic, and it's something I suggest to aim to do otherwise you will be burned out very quickly and that will makes things much harder. Learn to work smart, not hard.

Also, don't compare yourself to your friends. Many of my friends are in their mid-20s now, graduated and still aren't 100% sure on what they want to do with their lives, the career they want, having money etc. They aren't having the best of time in their 20s. Assuming nothing changes, me and you will be walking into a career we'll have for decades, which will open up plenty or different paths and involves being able to progress to get to where we want to be. Sure we'll basically be permanent students, but we still have lives, and can make them good ones.
Original post by gtty123

Yes I was aware of the 5 year degree not the additional independent placements. Also I wasn’t sure on what to do until last month. Even with law you can’t do a lot with ur 3 year undergrad and will have to master.
Original post by gtty123

Yes but not the independent placements. I only decided last month. Do you know the journey you must take to be a lawyer ? It’s much more than a 3 yr undergrad. Not many know the commitment of what comes after, I over think this. Good luck tho
don't worry mate, you're doing a good degree, you'll have a good life once you're finished. you'll still meet new people and make friends at med school, and life definitely doesn't end at 30 :smile:

Lol I’m doing pharmacy 🤣 still a good degree you think ?
Lol I’m doing pharmacy 🤣 still a good degree you think ?

...yes
...yes

well that is to say imo it is a good one, im guessing youre more knowledgeable about it. if u dont think its right for u dont do it or switch to medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending