The Student Room Group

Half Life

Many Thanks in Advance!

What is the difference between Physical and Effective half life?
Reply 1
Original post by 234UncleBob
Many Thanks in Advance!

What is the difference between Physical and Effective half life?

Use MR google
Original post by Eesa268
Use MR google

?? I don't understand :frown:

Just in case you didn't know, it is Physics :smile:
Is this in a healthcare context?
Original post by Joinedup
Is this in a healthcare context?

Physics - medicine

Radioactive/ Medical Tracers

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific

What is the difference between Physical and Effective half life of a radioactive isotope?
That's the combination of the biological half life of the molecule I. E. the rate at which it gets excreted And the radioactive half life.
That's the combination of the biological half life of the molecule I. E. the rate at which it gets excreted And the radioactive half life.

What's the definition of the Physical half life?

Surely when the Physical Life halves, the Effective life halves, regardless of the Biological life?
Original post by 234UncleBob
What's the definition of the Physical half life?

Surely when the Physical Life halves, the Effective life halves, regardless of the Biological life?

Decay by physical processes i.e. radioactive decay

not sure what you mean with the second bit though - half life for an isotope is a constant amount of time... you can't half it other than picking an isotope that's got a half life close to half the half life of the original one.
Decay by physical processes i.e. radioactive decay

not sure what you mean with the second bit though - half life for an isotope is a constant amount of time... you can't half it other than picking an isotope that's got a half life close to half the half life of the original one.

Still not quite getting it,
Can we try this another way,

Can I have separate definitions for Physical and Effective half life, without using the equation of 1/Teffective = 1/Tbiological + 1/Tphysical?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest