The Student Room Group

Changing name by deed poll (can i keep both name)

Hello, I am a British Asian born in UK.

I have an Asian name.

But most people call me by Leon and I used this name throughout the email, social media,etc. My passport, driving license, bank accounts, and University Student ID card/Email are all my name.

I wanted to add an English name to my public record which is Leon [Surname] and used this for University, passport, and driving license only. I wanted to keep everything else as my Asian name on medical records and bank accounts.

My education GCSE, a-level, degree are all in my Asian name. I planning to do a Ph.D. study and I wanted to publish research under my English name.

Is it possible? please help. People get confused over my name sometimes and they think Jae Yong and Leon are two different people. My previous University aways ended calling me my name as there no such thing as a preferred name/nickname within the system. My Uni email address was also my name and I always sign my email with my English Name - people still get confused and don't know who I am.
No. You can only have one name. You could add Leon as a middle name if that's what you want to go by. But there's no way that you'd be allowed to have medical records and passport/drivers license in different names.
By completing a deed poll you are giving up the legal right to use your previous name, so you can’t have official documents or records under two different names.
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
No. You can only have one name. You could add Leon as a middle name if that's what you want to go by. But there's no way that you'd be allowed to have medical records and passport/drivers license in different names.

Can I use Leon as the first name then middle names as Jae Yong, so full name would be a total of 4 words? Leon Jae Yong [Surname]
Original post by Admit-One
By completing a deed poll you are giving up the legal right to use your previous name, so you can’t have official documents or records under two different names.

I found something called enroll and non-enroll deed poll. I thought it's adding another name to the public record as they stated your birth certificate and identity cannot be changed and the UK deed poll is like an official alternative name that can be used in other organisations?

On UK passport, some people have their Asian name with bracket(English name) - how do I get this? I don't want give up my previous name but i want to hold both name (both english and asian name).
either put Jae or Leon as a middle name or you could be one of those people who have “” in their name. like Jae “Leon” Yong. i think it would just be easier to keep your name what it is and just tell people you go by Leon.
Reply 5
Original post by MadameRazz
either put Jae or Leon as a middle name or you could be one of those people who have “” in their name. like Jae “Leon” Yong. i think it would just be easier to keep your name what it is and just tell people you go by Leon.

I have tried to keep my name and let people know but it's always bugging me. University cannot allow any name change or even a nickname/prefer name over simple things such as registration details, Uni ID card, and University email address. When I used Microsoft Team and University online server for remote working, it's always displayed as Jae and in all email discussions with academics, etc. Sometimes tutors can have this confusion for instance if they cannot find me on the list cuz I was using my English name and sometimes they don't know that Jae is actually me , etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Can I use Leon as the first name then middle names as Jae Yong, so full name would be a total of 4 words? Leon Jae Yong [Surname]

I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that.

I found something called enroll and non-enroll deed poll. I thought it's adding another name to the public record as they stated your birth certificate and identity cannot be changed and the UK deed poll is like an official alternative name that can be used in other organisations?

The deed poll is an official document whereby you declare that you're giving up your previous name for all purposes, and adopting a new name. So it's not really an alternative name, it's a replacement name.

So where you need to provide evidence of identity, you show your birth certificate as evidence of your original name, and the deed poll as evidence that links your birth name to your new name.

Likewise with things like exam certificates/degree certificates, you'd show the original certificate with the old name and the deed poll as evidence of the name change.

On UK passport, some people have their Asian name with bracket(English name) - how do I get this? I don't want give up my previous name but i want to hold both name (both english and asian name).

I've never seen this -- are you sure that's the case (i.e. have you seen someone's UK passport with names shown in that way)?
Reply 7
Original post by martin7
I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that.

The deed poll is an official document whereby you declare that you're giving up your previous name for all purposes, and adopting a new name. So it's not really an alternative name, it's a replacement name.

So where you need to provide evidence of identity, you show your birth certificate as evidence of your original name, and the deed poll as evidence that links your birth name to your new name.

Likewise with things like exam certificates/degree certificates, you'd show the original certificate with the old name and the deed poll as evidence of the name change.

I've never seen this -- are you sure that's the case (i.e. have you seen someone's UK passport with names shown in that way)?

I found a way to keep both names basically, I will be adding a first name then using my original names as middle names. So nothing is removed from the original.

Leon Jae Yong [Surname]

I have requested the deed poll. Will my bank and driving license be revoked? As I might need to let them know or it does not matter?
I found a way to keep both names basically, I will be adding a first name then using my original names as middle names. So nothing is removed from the original.

Leon Jae Yong [Surname]

I have requested the deed poll. Will my bank and driving license be revoked? As I might need to let them know or it does not matter?

The wording of the deed poll will generally state that you are giving up the right to use your previous name, so any legal document with your old name will no longer be valid. Likewise, you also need to change any bank accounts etc. I don't believe anything would be revoked automatically, but continuing to use old docs could be considered as fraud.

Have a read of these links for more info:

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information
Reply 9

Leon Jae Yong [Surname]

You don't need to "request" a deed poll. You can draw one up yourself, provided you use the appropriate wording and get it witnessed in the right way. (Though the advantage of getting one drawn up by a company is that there's less risk of the wording being wrong.)

The usual wording on a deed poll to change your name is that you're abandoning the use of your old name for all purposes and adopting a new one in its place. You're doing something that's a bit closer to making a slight change.

That said, if you want to change your name, you really should be changing it everywhere -- passport, driving licence, credit card, utility bills etc. Given that passport and driving licence are pretty much the standard ID documents people use in the UK, you really should get them changed to your new name. If you're at university, you should also tell the university so they can update their records and make sure your degree certificate is issued in your new name at graduation.

Your bank account and driving licence won't be affected -- no one will notify the bank/DVLA of your name change if you don't tell them. And when you do, all that will happen is that the bank will issue a new debit card, and the DVLA a new licence with the new name (you'll need to return the old one).
Original post by martin7
You don't need to "request" a deed poll. You can draw one up yourself, provided you use the appropriate wording and get it witnessed in the right way. (Though the advantage of getting one drawn up by a company is that there's less risk of the wording being wrong.)

The usual wording on a deed poll to change your name is that you're abandoning the use of your old name for all purposes and adopting a new one in its place. You're doing something that's a bit closer to making a slight change.

That said, if you want to change your name, you really should be changing it everywhere -- passport, driving licence, credit card, utility bills etc. Given that passport and driving licence are pretty much the standard ID documents people use in the UK, you really should get them changed to your new name. If you're at university, you should also tell the university so they can update their records and make sure your degree certificate is issued in your new name at graduation.

Your bank account and driving licence won't be affected -- no one will notify the bank/DVLA of your name change if you don't tell them. And when you do, all that will happen is that the bank will issue a new debit card, and the DVLA a new licence with the new name (you'll need to return the old one).

H thanks for your help.
It looks like it going to be a very long process for changing everything and cost a lot of money like a passport cost £75 to change name, etc.

For withness why I cannot use any family members? i don't see why parents can't be witness. can I make up the name of someone and put a random signature - would it still work in the end?
For withness why I cannot use any family members? i don't see why parents can't be witness. can I make up the name of someone and put a random signature - would it still work in the end?

This is getting a bit silly now. No one is going to encourage you to commit fraud by falsifying a signature on a legal document just because your uni can't accomodate a 'known as' name in their records. Please note it is also against TSR forum rules to encourage others to break the law.

If you wish to use your preferred name, then you need to follow the guidance above and accept that there are costs associated with updating it elsewhere.
Original post by Admit-One
This is getting a bit silly now. No one is going to encourage you to commit fraud by falsifying a signature on a legal document just because your uni can't accomodate a 'known as' name in their records. Please note it is also against TSR forum rules to encourage others to break the law.

If you wish to use your preferred name, then you need to follow the guidance above and accept that there are costs associated with updating it elsewhere.

Alright. Thanks for help, everyone.it's just going to be difficult due to lockdown and covid added on to this process. You can close this thread.

Quick Reply