The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

CSM, MA Innovation Management, school is not well known outside design industry?

Hello :smile:
I'm a bit worried about accepting my MA Innovation Management at CSM. The course not being in the area of design and the fact that CSM remains quite obscure and unknown to people from Management-related industry. I have been surprised that some Londonners ignored the existence of UAL and CSM.

I wanted to get your opinion regarding the following: do you think studying at CSM would be a good deal whatever the course is, I know that the school is famous within the design industry but what about outside the design industry?

Also - why UAL masters are 2 years long instead of the 1 year at most UK universities. I compared the curriculum, UAL Masters are not part-time and actually require around 3 days a week attendence, the same as 1 year long masters at other universities, and you still get the same qualification at the end. Other masters also include placement as some of UAL Masters do, so I really don't get why is it divided between two years. Two years can be a long time and an important investment, do you think it's worth it?

Thanks a lot of this guys, much appreciated
Hey, you wrote this in May but I just got an unconditional offer for the same course and I was also trying to some research and find more reviews.

The course is a creative course, which seems to merge a whole of disciplines - the corporate world is currently going head over heels about buzzwords such as innovation, experience design, service design and design thinking. Management consultancies are acquiring design firms and innovation consultancies.

I personally do think it is a good course however it may depend on your background, I am a from a product design/tech background so doing a Masters like this will teach new things that I can apply to my daily work. The scheduling is a little awkward as part-time is ideal for me but three days a week attendance may be something I will struggle to do as I have been working for a number of years now, it is a lifestyle change that I am looking forward to.

All this writing may mean nothing to you now but it is a good course to go for.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by creativehustle
Hey, you wrote this in May but I just got an unconditional offer for the same course and I was also trying to some research and find more reviews.

The course is a creative course, which seems to merge a whole of disciplines - the corporate world is currently going head over heels about buzzwords such as innovation, experience design, service design and design thinking. Management consultancies are acquiring design firms and innovation consultancies.

I personally do think it is a good course however it may depend on your background, I am a from a product design/tech background so doing a Masters like this will teach new things that I can apply to my daily work. The scheduling is a little awkward as part-time is ideal for me but three days a week attendance may be something I will struggle to do as I have been working for a number of years now, it is a lifestyle change that I am looking forward to.

All this writing may mean nothing to you now but it is a good course to go for.

Hello -

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated even in July

Yes this master course is particular as it is full time over two years which is unusual, but I guess it is scheduled around a range of different projects that take time to actually develop.

Did you not have that feeling that the content is a bit unclear? In theory yes the description on their website is very good, but practically speaking, I still can't figure out exactly what kind of academic modules we will have to explore/study and how those relate to the practical part of the course.

It is good to hear from you, as we are not that many in the course, around 20-25.
It's a course that you can't define what you want from the start as innovation has used to described a lot of things so I believing and hoping that the true meaning of innovation is taught during my two years! Have you accepted your offer ?
Reply 4
It's a course that you can't define what you want from the start as innovation has used to described a lot of things so I believing and hoping that the true meaning of innovation is taught during my two years! Have you accepted your offer ?

Yes I did. however, I'm still waiting on another University. If I can't get in there (which is highly linkely) I will definitely start at CSM :smile: I'm quite excited about the course tbh.
hello!!Did you accept the offer? I'm thinking of applying and have similar questions to your above
Reply 6
Original post by habibty123
hello!!Did you accept the offer? I'm thinking of applying and have similar questions to your above

Hey I deferred my place for this September but I won't go, as I have another offer which I find more suited. But I honestly think the course at CSM is innovative, interesting and an amazing experience to go through :smile:
Best of luck if you wish to pursue with the masters
Reply 7
Hi, I am also looking at this course. I did my undergraduation in sociology and PG diploma in fashion retail management from top colleges in India. I am unclear about the what are the units of study and what are the career paths after the completion of the course. Can someone please help me with this! Thanks
Original post by habibty123

Hello,
Having read the thread, I feel I am the same situation. Have you taken up the course at CSM? Or a similar course anywhere else? I am a Product Designer myself, and wanting to study design management as Masters.
Would be great if you could provide any inputs!
just in case, any one comes across this in the future. i am replying to this thread - two years later haha. I just finished two years of the MA Innovation Management course at CSM and it's one of the best things I have done.
Hey, I got accepted this year but don’t know if I should go, I can not really understand what would be the whole curriculum and is it appreciated even that it’s not a design related and it’s CSM. My background was in business prior to this. So if you have any other experiences to share or advices :smile:
Heyy,
I got accepted this year! I don’t know what to expect though, could you describe me please what did you went through and how is it valuable job wise as well if it’s appreciated same as design courses at CSM. My background is business college, and I aspire to work in creative industries. Thank you :colondollar:
Original post by Creativimpact
Hey, I got accepted this year but don’t know if I should go, I can not really understand what would be the whole curriculum and is it appreciated even that it’s not a design related and it’s CSM. My background was in business prior to this. So if you have any other experiences to share or advices :smile:
Hey! How did you go about submitting your portfolio during the admission process? I have to submit mine and I'm a bit confused with the outline. I have a lot of work to show for I just don't understand how to put it across... :confused: (I have a product design and business background)
Reply 13
Original post by Creativimpact
Heyy,
I got accepted this year! I don’t know what to expect though, could you describe me please what did you went through and how is it valuable job wise as well if it’s appreciated same as design courses at CSM. My background is business college, and I aspire to work in creative industries. Thank you :colondollar:

Hello, Did you go to CSM for further study?And the course at CSM is design related?I am also hesitant about whether go to UAL or an ordinary school to study business. Because it seems UAL is not that famous in some business areas but same with you I just want to work in a more creative industry. So should I choose CSM? Looking forward to your reply and thank you!
Original post by LODSAAA
Hello, Did you go to CSM for further study?And the course at CSM is design related?I am also hesitant about whether go to UAL or an ordinary school to study business. Because it seems UAL is not that famous in some business areas but same with you I just want to work in a more creative industry. So should I choose CSM? Looking forward to your reply and thank you!

Hi @LODSAAA,

Just thought it would be helpful to give you some more background about CSM and the University of the Arts London. UAL has been ranked top 2 for Art and Design in the QS World University Rankings for two years in a row (2019 and 2020). Our thousands of alumni can be found working in the creative industries around the world. We have a range of creative business courses which are all strongly linked with industry partners. A recent study also found that 'A higher percentage of UAL's graduates go on to become business leaders than from any other UK university, reiterating how vital creative education is to our industry and economy'.

Depending on which area of the creative industries you are looking at, you might also consider London College of Fashion which has a dedicated Business School.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team
Reply 15
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi @LODSAAA,

Just thought it would be helpful to give you some more background about CSM and the University of the Arts London. UAL has been ranked top 2 for Art and Design in the QS World University Rankings for two years in a row (2019 and 2020). Our thousands of alumni can be found working in the creative industries around the world. We have a range of creative business courses which are all strongly linked with industry partners. A recent study also found that 'A higher percentage of UAL's graduates go on to become business leaders than from any other UK university, reiterating how vital creative education is to our industry and economy'.

Depending on which area of the creative industries you are looking at, you might also consider London College of Fashion which has a dedicated Business School.

Best wishes,

Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team

Thanks a lot for your helpful reply! I just found some desierd professions at both CSM and LCF, and I will try to apply them later.
Reply 16

just in case, any one comes across this in the future. i am replying to this thread - two years later haha. I just finished two years of the MA Innovation Management course at CSM and it's one of the best things I have done.

hii! thanks for posting the update for people like me now interested in taking this course haha. I do have a few questions! I am so nervous about my application... did you find it reeeally hard to get in? I have a BA in Interior Architecture and thinking about applying for this year. thank youuu!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending