The Student Room Group

Personal statement character count

I was originally over the 4000 character count and 47 lines but after cutting the waffle out, I am now at 3910 characters and 45 lines. Being that short of the limit is fine right? And I have said everything I want to so I would not really know what else to write.
Original post by avacados1
I was originally over the 4000 character count and 47 lines but after cutting the waffle out, I am now at 3910 characters and 45 lines. Being that short of the limit is fine right? And I have said everything I want to so I would not really know what else to write.

Have you checked it fits on UCAS? Really you should have a line break between each paragraph as it makes it a LOT easier for the admissions tutors to read, and that won't give you that (if it does fit into UCAS)
Reply 2
Original post by Interrobang
Have you checked it fits on UCAS? Really you should have a line break between each paragraph as it makes it a LOT easier for the admissions tutors to read, and that won't give you that (if it does fit into UCAS)

so its 45 lines and 3910 characters with a line break between all the paras. Does having line breaks between 6 paras and being under a bit look bad or am I overthinking it ?
so its 45 lines and 3910 characters with a line break between all the paras. Does having line breaks between 6 paras and being under a bit look bad or am I overthinking it ?

I can't see how it is that many characters with a whole line gap between paragraphs. Have you copied and pasted it into UCAS to check the length?
Reply 4
I can't see how it is that many characters with a whole line gap between paragraphs. Have you copied and pasted it into UCAS to check the length?

Oh crap, there is a whole line gap on google docs but when I paste it into UCAS there is no gap between paragraphs but the character is still at 3910. So when u say there should be a line between paras do u mean on the UCAS format of it?
Reply 5
I did 4000 characters exactly and it didn't fit. Copy and paste it in and see how it looks and fits.
Reply 6
Original post by plainjayne1
I did 4000 characters exactly and it didn't fit. Copy and paste it in and see how it looks and fits.

On google docs the format of my ps is
para 1

para 2

para 3 and so on but when I paste it on UCAS it goes to
para 1
para 2
para 3 so is the space I'm meant to leave between paragraphs meant to be on the UCAS format?
On google docs the format of my ps is
para 1

para 2

para 3 and so on but when I paste it on UCAS it goes to
para 1
para 2
para 3 so is the space I'm meant to leave between paragraphs meant to be on the UCAS format?

Yes, I think so.. if you click preview it will show you exactly how it will be like on your application
Reply 8
Original post by Mahmoud Magdy
Yes, I think so.. if you click preview it will show you exactly how it will be like on your application

Yh I have just seen it and its just chunks of text without spaces so I will try to get rid of more text to be able to leave some lines. Thanks for the help
Yh I have just seen it and its just chunks of text without spaces so I will try to get rid of more text to be able to leave some lines. Thanks for the help

That's definitely what I would suggest. Line gaps really help to make it easy to read
Reply 10
That's definitely what I would suggest. Line gaps really help to make it easy to read

I had to merge paragraphs so its 4 paras and not 6 but it definitely looks more readable now. Thanks for your help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending