The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Sciences, 3 or 4 Alevels?

I am doing Biology,Maths and Chemistry at A-level predicted all A*s
Recently looked at the statistics of Cambridge Bio Natural Sciences and most have 4 Alevels
Is there any point in me applying with only 3?
i understand people say they can't disadvantage me but the statistics seem to put me off....
You're not at a disadvantage doing 4, but most people would have just done 4.
Defo apply, you'll never know if you never try!!! Dont let the stats put you off
You're only required to do 3, many will be doing FM as their fourth. Unless you're considering FM or Physics as your fourth, it isn't worth it (and even then, I'd say physics probably isn't worth it).
Original post by wizkid44
You're not at a disadvantage doing 4, but most people would have just done 4.
Defo apply, you'll never know if you never try!!! Dont let the stats put you off

Thank you for the reassurance maybe it's just the fact not many people apply with 3
I could make up for it with a epq or personal statement... Is Cambridge natural science very competitive i know Medicine is?
OP, I've looked at this FOI request, and (assuming my analysis is correct) the majority of students took 3 A levels. Over 2017-19, the numbers look like this for bio natsci applicants:
3 A levels: 1003
4 A levels: 835
5 A levels: 126
6 A levels: 9

For offer-holders only, it looked like this:
3 A levels: 279
4 A levels: 356
5 A levels: 63
6 A levels: 4
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Abigail.alex
Thank you for the reassurance maybe it's just the fact not many people apply with 3
I could make up for it with a epq or personal statement... Is Cambridge natural science very competitive i know Medicine is?

yeah exactly, most applicants just happen to do 4
yes 100%, even if you do well in the NatSci Admissions Test compared to everyone else
Yeah it is competitive because you have all the physics, biology and chemistry people applying (but everything is competitive at camb so don't let it put you off)
Original post by Theloniouss
OP, I've looked at this FOI request, and (assuming my analysis is correct) the majority of students took 3 A levels. Over 2017-19, the numbers look like this for bio natsci applicants:
3 A levels: 1003
4 A levels: 835
5 A levels: 126
6 A levels: 9

For offer-holders only, it looked like this:
3 A levels: 279
4 A levels: 356
5 A levels: 63
6 A levels: 4

Thank you so much this was very reassuring!
Thank you so much this was very reassuring!

No problem, as an (ex) bionatsci applicant, I wanted to know anyway :tongue:
No problem, as an (ex) bionatsci applicant, I wanted to know anyway :tongue:

oh wow you used to study bio nat science at Cambridge, very impressive
as i am aspiring to study there could i ask a few questions 😁
oh wow you used to study bio nat science at Cambridge, very impressive
as i am aspiring to study there could i ask a few questions 😁

No, I just have an offer (ex-applicant)
No, I just have an offer (ex-applicant)

Sorry to hear that seems like you did well to get an offer do you have any tips nonetheless
Sorry to hear that seems like you did well to get an offer do you have any tips nonetheless

Not really any general tips. Read some books, for difficult questions look at olympiads (maybe enter them if your school does that).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending