The Student Room Group

Further maths

I know I keep asking but I just want opinions on other people who have done further math or know whether it is good enough to do because I do not want to throw myself in and just fail it and just struggle. We have until Tuesday next week and the first lesson is on Wednesday next week.

Thank you xo
Reply 1
i did further maths, and i'm not going to lie i struggled. i ended up getting a 5, but because of the pandemic i didnt get a chance to take the exam. i actually wasnt going to take the exam, so i wouldn't have gotten a grade for further maths because i genuinely struggled. If maths is something you enjoy and look forward to, you're going to do better than i did because i dreaded going to the lessons. hope that helps xo
Original post by deadroseex
I know I keep asking but I just want opinions on other people who have done further math or know whether it is good enough to do because I do not want to throw myself in and just fail it and just struggle. We have until Tuesday next week and the first lesson is on Wednesday next week.

Thank you xo

Focus on your other GCSEs - there is no benefit.
Reply 3
Original post by m1mii
i did further maths, and i'm not going to lie i struggled. i ended up getting a 5, but because of the pandemic i didnt get a chance to take the exam. i actually wasnt going to take the exam, so i wouldn't have gotten a grade for further maths because i genuinely struggled. If maths is something you enjoy and look forward to, you're going to do better than i did because i dreaded going to the lessons. hope that helps xo

Thank you!! And so sorry that happened this whole situation has made everything so difficult. I wish u well 💙
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Focus on your other GCSEs - there is no benefit.

Thank you! 💙
Basically - if you like maths it makes sense to take (extra good grade doesn't hurt) but you don't have to. The course isn't a requirement for A-levels maths or FM so whether you take it or not will basically be inconsequential.
Reply 6
I did FM GCSE and I enjoyed it. If you like Maths then I would definitely recommend it, as the best reason to take an extra qualification is because you find it fun/are passionate about it, otherwise, there’s not much point.
Reply 7

Thank you xo

Hey! I did further maths and dropped out because it was difficult and took a lot time out for me. I'd say pick further maths if you want to do it at a-level or you're really good at GCSE and have time for an extra GCSE. The whole of the first term (or half term i can't remember) of year 12 maths is actually all the further maths content so you won't feel pressured by the big 'jump' from GCSEs to A-levels in one subject at least!
Reply 8
Original post by Rumiii
Hey! I did further maths and dropped out because it was difficult and took a lot time out for me. I'd say pick further maths if you want to do it at a-level or you're really good at GCSE and have time for an extra GCSE. The whole of the first term (or half term i can't remember) of year 12 maths is actually all the further maths content so you won't feel pressured by the big 'jump' from GCSEs to A-levels in one subject at least!

Hmm...I will think about that a little and speak to the further maths teacher!
Thank you so much though!! 💙
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx
Basically - if you like maths it makes sense to take (extra good grade doesn't hurt) but you don't have to. The course isn't a requirement for A-levels maths or FM so whether you take it or not will basically be inconsequential.

Thank you so much! This gave me broader knowledge I think I needed. I will speak to my family & teachers!! 💙💙
Original post by hajima
I did FM GCSE and I enjoyed it. If you like Maths then I would definitely recommend it, as the best reason to take an extra qualification is because you find it fun/are passionate about it, otherwise, there’s not much point.

Oh wow! I agree with you! I will think about it a bit and see if I really want to. If not I will decline. Thank you so much!! This has helped! 💙
Thank you! 💙

I teach Maths and we don;t take it - we just aim for loads of grade 9s and make sure students look at where the topics might go in future. It's importan to get a good spread of top grades :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
I teach Maths and we don;t take it - we just aim for loads of grade 9s and make sure students look at where the topics might go in future. It's importan to get a good spread of top grades :smile:

Oh wow! Thank you. I think I know what I will do now 💙

Thank you

If you are planning on taking further maths a level, I would definitely consider taking it. Otherwise the transition from single maths gcse to further maths a level can be very sudden and often surprises people.
Original post by Roga$$$
If you are planning on taking further maths a level, I would definitely consider taking it. Otherwise the transition from single maths gcse to further maths a level can be very sudden and often surprises people.

I am actually doing it for A levels. The students doing further math had a meeting today and the teacher gave us all the info.
Thank you tho 💙

Quick Reply

Latest