The Student Room Group

Does university prestige matter?

Currently deciding what unis I want to apply to (to study English). I’m an A* student so I’ve been encouraged to apply to top unis such as Oxbridge, UCL etc. My question is will having a degree from a high ranking uni affect me in life other than bragging rights? Am I more like to get a job if I studied at UCL rather than Manchester for example?

Scroll to see replies

Bragging rights about unis or the russell group don't matter much in the real world.
Unless you want to be mistaken for an arrogant adult or a 12 year old.
Personal success tend to revolve more around your own choices and personal abilities; skillset, ambitions, work ethic, references and academic achievements than which uni you attended for undergrad.

Some uni's do have a reputation for high calibre teaching, provide a more positive environment, better facilities, offer their students & alumni access to networking events with employers & corporate sponsors, have close links with big business firms operating graduate recruitment programme/industry firms offering student placements.
Opportunities to obtain academic & sometimes professional qualifications, enhance your skillset and make helpful contacts for the future.
Whether you make the most of the opportunities on offer is up to you.
Original post by londonmyst
Bragging rights about unis or the russell group don't matter much in the real world.
Unless you want to be mistaken for an arrogant adult or a 12 year old.
Personal success tend to revolve more around your own choices and personal abilities; skillset, ambitions, work ethic, references and academic achievements than which uni you attended for undergrad.

Some uni's do have a reputation for high calibre teaching, provide a more positive environment, better facilities, offer their students & alumni access to networking events with employers & corporate sponsors, have close links with big business firms operating graduate recruitment programme/industry firms offering student placements.
Opportunities to obtain academic & sometimes professional qualifications, enhance your skillset and make helpful contacts for the future.
Whether you make the most of the opportunities on offer is up to you.

I disagree. It does make a significant difference going to a good Uni. This isn't school anymore, and it's your money, not your parents. Make the right decision.
For ego? Yes.
Original post by ewpfs
Currently deciding what unis I want to apply to (to study English). I’m an A* student so I’ve been encouraged to apply to top unis such as Oxbridge, UCL etc. My question is will having a degree from a high ranking uni affect me in life other than bragging rights? Am I more like to get a job if I studied at UCL rather than Manchester for example?

For English (not my area), I wouldn't expect it to make much difference, as it's not going to be directly relevant to many jobs. If you want to work abroad, a big name may help. Just go for the course / environment that suits you best. Oxford is nice ..
Original post by CletusPotter
I disagree. It does make a significant difference going to a good Uni. This isn't school anymore, and it's your money, not your parents. Make the right decision.

Depends how you define a 'good uni' - for engineering it is NOT Oxbridge or RG.
Just remember people's opinions vary and facts vary over time...it won't be long before you are just a white supremist for going to Oxford..
Original post by Muttley79
Depends how you define a 'good uni' - for engineering it is NOT Oxbridge or RG.

Hi, just curious, why do you say that?
Instead of looking at ranking overall, look at the ranking for the subject you wanna study. Russel group and league unis don't really mean much imo(unless you're studying something traditional like Medecine- then it determines your life)
Reply 9
Original post by ewpfs

It's all a bit contentious. I got a 2:1 in History & German from University of Chester, my brother got a 1st in English Lit from University of Warwick. Before people jump to point it out, yes my brother went to a "significantly better" university than I did. I got more support from both my departments than my brother did - my parents definitely noticed the difference (and at the time, my Dad was finishing his MBA through Warwick). When it came to jobs? My brother has had absolutely no advantage when it came to jobs - he struggled to find "decent" work/get accepted on to graduate schemes as much as I did.
Original post by zetasigma
Hi, just curious, why do you say that?

Their courses are not designed to give you the skills to work in industry - Oxbridge don't offer an industrial placement.
It matters to a certain level. UCL vs Manchester is a close one though.
Their courses are not designed to give you the skills to work in industry - Oxbridge don't offer an industrial placement.

Ahh alright I see - thanks for explaining

Why does it matter for an English degree?
not really... always depends on what you do with your career, your goals and aspirations in life.
For example - if it's money - you want to choose a subject that will enable you to enter into schemes with a higher graduate salary; or additionally choose a uni which allows you to provide great education, yet also be cost effective - which is the case of unis outside of London, where accommodation and things are so much cheaper than in London.
Rankings always fluctuate in life too.
At the end of the day, you need to be able to get work experience - whether that may be in order to get your foot in the door and its never about bragging rights. Being down-to-earth, unselfish and respectable and networking gets you through to places and opens more doors then simply saying I went to Oxbridge etc.

Original post by ewpfs
Reply 15
Depends which course. Anyone who tries to tell you that an engineering degree from Bolton is worth the same as one from Cambridge is blatently lying lol.

For courses, usually healthcare related, which are governed by a government body (Pharmacy, Optom, Medicine, Dentistry etc) it doesn't matter, as all that's required for a job is to be on the relevant register. So a Dentistry degree from Glasgow Unis the same as one from Plymouth.

Thing is though, this is usually only relevant when the course is vocational and leads to a career. With English, if you end up doing something self driven then it won't make much of a difference. But trying to get a job as an English teacher will be much easier if your degree is from Oxbridge.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
It makes toss all difference, especially for degrees like English and so on outside of bragging rights. The difference is a bit more pronounced at post grad and for certain specialty subjects but meh.
That being said, places like Oxford do come with slightly better 'old boys networks' so make of that what you will.
Amongst many other criteria, which uni may play a part when an employer is looking at you. It certainly can't do you any harm to to the best you can.
2020 is the year where every university becomes as **** as the next one.
For me, "prestige" is what my grandma thinks a good uni is. And I'd rather my grandma wasn't deciding my uni thanks.

There are real, large differences between unis though, in terms of outcomes: average earnings, exam pass rates in some fields, as well as entry standards and course and content etc. I would pay attention to those factors very much yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending