The Student Room Group

My uni feels too "straight"

As a gay that is kinda feminine and arguably camp at times , I'm feeling like a total misfit with the general dynamic at my university (Strathclyde). All of the other guys are obviously straight and act it, mostly masculine lad types or quiet guys.

Nothing wrong with those things at all but I just don't think we'll gel and I'm worried that I'll be left behind socially and won't have any friends which is a rather gloomy prospect, especially during these isolating times.

Are there any changes I can make or should I just keep going as I am at the moment? I don't want to feel like a loner for my whole time at uni.

FWIW, this is my 2nd year so I'm not a newbie and have been around long enough for my opinion to be valid.
Original post by TheSagittarius
As a gay that is kinda feminine and arguably camp at times , I'm feeling like a total misfit with the general dynamic at my university (Strathclyde). All of the other guys are obviously straight and act it, mostly masculine lad types or quiet guys.

Nothing wrong with those things at all but I just don't think we'll gel and I'm worried that I'll be left behind socially and won't have any friends which is a rather gloomy prospect, especially during these isolating times.

Are there any changes I can make or should I just keep going as I am at the moment? I don't want to feel like a loner for my whole time at uni.

FWIW, this is my 2nd year so I'm not a newbie and have been around long enough for my opinion to be valid.

maybe try and find the lgbt area/scene in strathclyde/scotland??

or just come to sussex uni and vibe with the big gay community here B]
Reply 2
hi) nice topic!
Original post by excitedpresent
maybe try and find the lgbt area/scene in strathclyde/scotland??

or just come to sussex uni and vibe with the big gay community here B]

Maybe I should head down there - heard that there is quite a big scene in that area.

Strathclyde is actually right next to the gay scene in Glasgow - the city ain't the problem, I see plenty of them on a daily basis.
Maybe I should head down there - heard that there is quite a big scene in that area.

Strathclyde is actually right next to the gay scene in Glasgow - the city ain't the problem, I see plenty of them on a daily basis.

i never knew glasgow had a big gay scene! i have a friend from there who's like the typical scottish lad lol, i assumed it was a mostly laddish city

but yeah it's a shame there aren't many flamboyant ppl at ur uni? Does your uni not have a lgbt society or something>
Original post by excitedpresent
i never knew glasgow had a big gay scene! i have a friend from there who's like the typical scottish lad lol, i assumed it was a mostly laddish city

but yeah it's a shame there aren't many flamboyant ppl at ur uni? Does your uni not have a lgbt society or something>

It is kinda laddish and is a big football city but if you go to the right places, you find them.

I think we might have an LGBT society but I've never really looked into them. I don't quite get their purpose.
It is kinda laddish and is a big football city but if you go to the right places, you find them.

I think we might have an LGBT society but I've never really looked into them. I don't quite get their purpose.

haha yeah i definitely get that vibe. scottish ppl are awesome tho.

well the purpose of our lgbt soc is just to have gay/trans ppl meet up and chat. its a lgbt safe space basically.
basically if you're looking to meet more gays, might be your thing. or might not. but its worth a try no?

Quick Reply

Latest