The Student Room Group

Feel guilty about going to McDonald’s

I just do because the staff are literally there and they get minimum wage meanwhile customers are just there to have a nice meal. When making large order as well, that’s when I especially feel bad. I understand that it is not easy working there, it’s stressful, low paid and I have heard how **** you get treated. I just don’t really get too triggered now if they get my order wrong and don’t think anyone should, it’s annoying yes but it’s a hard minimum paid job.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bmwboy15
I just do because the staff are literally there and they get minimum wage meanwhile customers are just there to have a nice meal. When making large order as well, that’s when I especially feel bad. I understand that it is not easy working there, it’s stressful, low paid and I have heard how **** you get treated. I just don’t really get too triggered now if they get my order wrong and don’t think anyone should, it’s annoying yes but it’s a hard minimum paid job.

I mean, put it this way. It's not slave labour and they chose to work there. You've contributed to keeping that branch going so the people who work there will have a job to go to, money to earn and momey to use to pay for food and shelter.
Reply 2
Original post by Ramipril
I mean, put it this way. It's not slave labour and they chose to work there. You've contributed to keeping that branch going so the people who work there will have a job to go to, money to earn and momey to use to pay for food and shelter.

They only choose to work there because they have bills to pay and that’s the only job available True about the branch but they have other customers to keep the branch going
They only choose to work there because they have bills to pay and that’s the only job available True about the branch but they have other customers to keep the branch going

I wouldn’t worry too much, the pay isn’t actually as bad as people think, I applied for a job there recently and if I am successful I will get 6.50 an hour, I’m 16 so the minimum wage is 4.55 so this is much more than expected tbh. The older workers get around 8-9 an hour. We choose to work there and the salary isn’t as bad as people think so I wouldn’t worry about it 😊
Don't go then. Cook for yourself or go to other places for takeaways. I am under 2 minutes walk from one and don't go in.
Reply 5
Original post by Emily~3695
I wouldn’t worry too much, the pay isn’t actually as bad as people think, I applied for a job there recently and if I am successful I will get 6.50 an hour, I’m 16 so the minimum wage is 4.55 so this is much more than expected tbh. The older workers get around 8-9 an hour. We choose to work there and the salary isn’t as bad as people think so I wouldn’t worry about it 😊

I mean 16, you are doing it for a starter job and to get money to buy stuff. £6.50 is ok for a 16 year old. I mean these older people who have to work there as a lifelong career, there’s this woman at this local one, she been there for years and we see her often when we go so I generally feel for her
Reply 6
Original post by barnetlad
Don't go then. Cook for yourself or go to other places for takeaways. I am under 2 minutes walk from one and don't go in.

Do you not go coz you feel bad?
Do you not go coz you feel bad?

I value my health- I saw Super Size Me.
Reply 8
Original post by barnetlad
I value my health- I saw Super Size Me.

Ok
Reply 9

Try kfc
Reply 10
Original post by GDT111
Try kfc

Exactly the same
Save your guilt. Unless your going to do something with it, it is patronising and pointless.

For the vast majority of 16/17/18 year olds work is a luxury that will buy they a car (when they turn 17)/ get them a better phone.
For the older employees that job is what's putting food on their table. That's the difference between being (more) self reliant and having to claim universal credit.

If you want to make a difference, go volenteer at your local food bank.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by glassalice
Save your guilt. Unless your going to do something with its patronising and pointless.

For the vast majority of 16 year olds work is a luxury that will buy they a car (when they turn 17)/ get them a better phone.
For the older employees that job is what's putting food on their table. That's the difference between being (more) self reliant and having to claim universal credit.

If you want to make a difference, go volenteer at your local food bank.

Yes, it’s probably not that bad for a 16 year old.
Older people, yes it’s puts food on the table but that is probably all it does, the older people who work at McDonald’s probably don’t even have a car or licence and use the bus. It must be **** to all you are getting is minimum pay and there’s other people on better higher paying jobs that are more enjoyable
Yes, it’s probably not that bad for a 16 year old.
Older people, yes it’s puts food on the table but that is probably all it does, the older people who work at McDonald’s probably don’t even have a car or licence and use the bus. It must be **** to all you are getting is minimum pay and there’s other people on better higher paying jobs that are more enjoyable

Supervisors/ managers get paid significantly more than the minimum wage. It isn't a completely dead end job.
Also there is nothing to stop Mcdonald employees upskilling (attending part time college) so that they can apply to bigger and better jobs.
Don't pity them. It's insulting.

Plenty of people choose to work there because they prefer to work in a busy/social environment over being stuck behind a desk.
there's nothing you can do about it tbh
They only choose to work there because they have bills to pay

Isn't this the reason why most people work?
I’m not sure on your point?

McDonald’s workers start on minimum wage and get pay rises occasionally when they improve their skills within their role. This is the same as most jobs.

Do not pity them. That’s extremely judgmental. I for one am proud of anyone working there as they’ve got themselves a stable income and job. There’s nothing wrong with working there.

If you don’t like McDonalds, don’t go there. It’s really that simple. But the workers there are treated well as far as I’m aware and I have lots of friends who work there.

Factual inaccuracy.

It's not as bad and as dead end as you think.
The pay isn't that bad. You get more than the minimum wage for starters. (at one point when I was working there I was getting paid more an hour at mcdonalds than at my other job as a nursery nurse looking after kids. And the working with kids had a lot more responsibility so you would think you would get paid more.)
It's not as dead end as you think. There is a lot.of progression- from the normal crew member you can work your way up to crew trainer, shift managers, assistant store manager, store manager, area manager etc. The franchisee who owned my store and about 13 others (and probably more now since I left) started off at the bottom. So it just shows how high you can go.
By going you are keeping them in a job. You are helping by bringing in custom.

Quick Reply

Latest