The Student Room Group

Transferring universities with bad A level grades

I am commencing BSc Chemistry at Cardiff University. My dream has always been studying in London but obviously Corona happened and I got ****ed over and got given the grades BBC. I have an extra B in Chinese that I have done in year 9. I've just found out recently that I am able to transfer universities so I start second year at a different university and this idea really appeals to me. I heard that if you aim to get either a 2:1 or a 1st after first year, you are able to transfer. I only want to transfer to a different university, but doing the same course and I heard it's possible to transfer credits if the modules are the same/similar. I've been looking at top London universities such as UCL, Kings and Imperial. But I don't know if my A level grades would stop me from transferring since they are really bad. How does the process actually work? Can someone please help me out. Thanks in advance.
I believe they will still look at your A Levels, but it is probably a good idea to email each universities with your current first year results and ask if this would be okay to play with. Then you’ll have to wait till third year to actually start.
Reply 2
Original post by Ki Yung Na
I believe they will still look at your A Levels, but it is probably a good idea to email each universities with your current first year results and ask if this would be okay to play with. Then you’ll have to wait till third year to actually start.

third year? I thought if I do well in first year I can start in second year at a different uni? my course diesnt officially start until around 11th october and i heard that as long as you apply by the january ucas deadline, it's fine because if you do it earlier, it leaves a bad impression on the uni since I havn't even started my course yet so I don't want to email them about this just yet.
Original post by uchiha01
third year? I thought if I do well in first year I can start in second year at a different uni? my course diesnt officially start until around 11th october and i heard that as long as you apply by the january ucas deadline, it's fine because if you do it earlier, it leaves a bad impression on the uni since I havn't even started my course yet so I don't want to email them about this just yet.

If you apply in first yr for second year. You have to show your A level grades and they matter even more.

if you apply in second year, they can take more interest in your “latest” results or academic achievement. That is what I’m saying.

if you haven’t even started first year then, your other option is to retake the A levels
They will still look at your A level grades, especially the extremely competitive Unis you are talking about. Plus unless the two courses are almost identical, they would expect people to start from Year 1 again, not year 2.

If you don’t feel like your A level grades were fair, your best bet is to “retake”them in the summer.
No University will allow a transfer into third year.
You'd have done 2/3rds of your degree elsewhere - so why would they let you have 'their' degree?

You may be allowed to transfer into Second year if your A levels meet that Unis entry requirements, your Year 1 results are exceptional, and your current degree units 'match' those of the receiving Uni.

If you lack the A level results, you might be allowed to restart the degree at First year entry at the other University.

Or, of course you could just stop feeling cheated/done-over and knuckle down and enjoy that course and that Uni.
Reply 6
Original post by Ki Yung Na
If you apply in first yr for second year. You have to show your A level grades and they matter even more.

if you apply in second year, they can take more interest in your “latest” results or academic achievement. That is what I’m saying.

if you haven’t even started first year then, your other option is to retake the A levels

the thing is A levels cost so much money and we dont yage any support so I dont even think I'll get better grades 😭😭😭😭 is it worth speaking to my current uni about this
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
They will still look at your A level grades, especially the extremely competitive Unis you are talking about. Plus unless the two courses are almost identical, they would expect people to start from Year 1 again, not year 2.

If you don’t feel like your A level grades were fair, your best bet is to “retake”them in the summer.

but we have no support from college or anything and its expensive so i dont even think retaking is worth it. I really dont know what to do but do you thnk unis would understand?
Your best option is to accept the university you have. Cardiff is an excellent university and you are not going to get into Imperial and UCL with your grades.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Your best option is to accept the university you have. Cardiff is an excellent university and you are not going to get into Imperial and UCL with your grades.

😔😔😔😔 I'm really frustrated with this system. I know someone who got **** in their mocks begged and cried and got excellent grades to study in cambridge and my blood boils everytime I think about it. Would I get chance in kings?
Realistically BBC is not even close for science subjects offers tend to be A*AA, and in my experience its not uncommon for students to surpass the requirements at those unis.
Could you transfer, in theory its possible, and at their discretion. I always say never start at a uni unless your uncomfortable being their for 3 years. Its not a good way to complete a degree imo having one eye elsewhere (as you can often get to the grass is always greener feelings...).

If you do well on your degree you could always look to do an MSc at these uni's (albeit their is a cost to a masters).
(edited 3 years ago)
😔😔😔😔 I'm really frustrated with this system. I know someone who got **** in their mocks begged and cried and got excellent grades to study in cambridge and my blood boils everytime I think about it. Would I get chance in kings?

One thing to keep in mind is you're better off with a 1st from Cardiff then a 2.2 from UCL. With respect if your teachers were predicting you Bs & Cs I wouldn't want you to bite of more then you can chew... where some of the unis mentioned are routinely pulling in students who walked multiple A*s at A-level.
If you are a good student their will be opportunities wherever you get your degree.
Reply 12
Have you checked if these unis you're thinking of transferring to actually accept tranfers for your course? I know some actually don't accept any for particular like UCL because their courses are already full or they just don't usually do it...

Also have you considered the unfortunate possibility that you won't get the marks required for transferring, or you're not accepted? You'd have to stay at Cardiff, would you be okay with that?
If not, and you're still intent on studying in London, you could also consider taking a gap year and reapplying to London unis, and possibly getting a job to pay for sitting A-Level exams as you've said funding is an issue.

Whatever you do, make sure it's for your best interest :smile:
the thing is A levels cost so much money and we dont yage any support so I dont even think I'll get better grades 😭😭😭😭 is it worth speaking to my current uni about this

If you really want to go to London. Which is what this is about. Then what you have to do, is approach two lecturers or tutors of tutorials and tell them the situation straight up.

Tell them, your first choice was London. You wanted to move to London for uni.

You let them know this is what you wanted or your intention is, will they be able to write references for you.

In the mean time, perform in each of your modules and try to score highly in anything that they read/mark. So you then can ask if given what they have seen would they be willing to write references ( the lecturers or tutors ) to help you apply for the universities you would like to apply to.

But before all of this. You have to ring or email kings or whatever other school and then ask politely if they would consider an application.

You have to say something along the lines of, these were not the grades you expected and that you would like to ask them if your current first year modules would be considered for a transfer. Something along those lines.

Unfortunately, if this is about university prestige then you’re out of luck. If this is about location, you can (if you word it correctly) try to plea a case for convincing the London universities you should be considered.

Truth is, your grades aren’t good enough. But if they were not decided by end of year exams (which I am assuming they were not), you may be able to win a sympathy consideration.

It depends on your luck. How you approach it and how you write it and speak of it. That’s why it’s better to speak over the phone to the admission tutor. They will know whether or not they can or will be allowed to transfer you.

I haven't checked but I suspect you will be way below their entry standards. Certainly the other 2 will require AAA or higher and most going there will far exceed that. From what I can see the standard offer for Chemistry is AAB for most leading places and you are way below that. If you really want to go to Kings your best option would not to be to go university this year take a gap year and resit your A levels. However I feel you would be better just concentrating on Cardiff. You have been lucky to be accepted there on your grades.
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
I haven't checked but I suspect you will be way below their entry standards. Certainly the other 2 will require AAA or higher and most going there will far exceed that. From what I can see the standard offer for Chemistry is AAB for most leading places and you are way below that. If you really want to go to Kings your best option would not to be to go university this year take a gap year and resit your A levels. However I feel you would be better just concentrating on Cardiff. You have been lucky to be accepted there on your grades.

i applied pharmacy before at kings with the contextual offers of ABC and i didnt meet that so I was thinking maybe they'd let me transfer if I do well in first year. But I'll see how it goes I just feel like I'd like London as an environment more.
i applied pharmacy before at kings with the contextual offers of ABC and i didnt meet that so I was thinking maybe they'd let me transfer if I do well in first year. But I'll see how it goes I just feel like I'd like London as an environment more.

To transfer you usually have to meet the entry requirements. Could you resit one of your Bs to try and get an A. ABC seems low for Kings but you are pretty close to it.
Bear in mind some ('better') unis insist on A levels taken at a single sitting, not retakes.
You can possibly transfer to a university of similar status/level but Imperial and UCL are way out of bounds. Still does not hurt to email the admissions tutor.
Original post by Mkb24764
Bear in mind some ('better') unis insist on A levels taken at a single sitting, not retakes.

There are very few who insist on 1 sitting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending