The Student Room Group

I have breathing issues that are erratic please help

Hi all. I'm a 21 year old girl with asthma.

I Suddenly found myself heavily focusing on my breathing since Monday and even more extreme than I have in the past. I am concerned I am going to die because of the symptoms I am experiencing which sound abnormal:
1. forgetting to breathe
2. not breathing
3. not breathing properly
4. automatic breathing stopped and interrupted
5. body failing for breathing
6. manually breathing
7. consciously breathing
8. thinking about breathing
9. concentrating and focusing on breathing
10. holding in breathe
11. anxious about breathing
12. Automatic breathing damaged
13. Central nervous system interrupted
14. Possible Brain infection from abscessed tooth

I have never struggled so much in these few days, and it's only Wednesday. I am so fearful at night as bad thoughts come into mind, such as dying and that my breathing and heart will stop. I am concerned and worried if I have a serious undiagnosed neurological disorder, affecting my central nervous system to breathe correctly. I can't enjoy anything, and simple tasks like watching TV or listening to music become impossible as I concentrate on my breathing, even more and feel as if I'm not even breathing.
This is driving me almost crazy, I can barely talk to anyone without feeling like I'm not breathing.

It's been almost 6 months with this problem but not until the extreme extent until recently. I don't know what todo. I haven't been to the doctors in ages, and I'm scared they'll find something wrong me.
I am so scared in my own body, am I going to die?

Today, I was at the dentist and I was incredibly so anxious, I felt my heart beating so fast plus it was cold so I was shaking even more, the nurse told me to sit up right and try and calm down and drink water which I did, she also told me to inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth which I did and did with her as well. The doctor even saw how anxious I was and was aware of how anxiety can make someone feel and panicky feeling which I was. It was impossible to calm down plus I was still shaking during the procedure and struggling with my breathing, I felt like I was holding in my breath and in fact not breathing. I told the doctor and nurse that before the procedure I was anxious about my breathing and they told me to continue breathing through my nose and mouth.
I felt like I was going to stop breathing as the shakiness continued, and I couldn't even control to sit still. I'm sure the procedure took longer than I expected because of my theatrics but I couldn't help it. I've have never experienced such pain before at the dentist, my jaw felt like it was pulled with a strong hanger and beaten up badly with a hammer. It was extremely painful, plus going through my breathing problems during the process made it SO challenging.
Earlier this morning, I genuinely couldn't eat because of how sick I felt and I feel even more sick than I did before. I am now worried, and anxious at home.

Tomorrow, I am free. I am going to see if I can go to the emergency room for a health check up as I am experiencing abnormal breathing issues which are frighten me to the point where I don't know what I will ever do or if this will pass. I am optimistic that this will subside and that I am healthy, and have no problem but the reality of it all is scary. I need someone to examine my brain and see if there's any abnormalities , I need someone to examine my heart, and lungs. I have been contemplating going to the ER for 5 months, EVERY SINGLE DAY, I think of just going but I never do, I feel like I need the reassurance now and find a therapist who can help me because I'm so clueless.
My family think I'm "okay" but I don't feel okay.

Does anyone have any advice for this problem?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi all. I'm a 21 year old girl with asthma.

I Suddenly found myself heavily focusing on my breathing since Monday and even more extreme than I have in the past. I am concerned I am going to die because of the symptoms I am experiencing which sound abnormal:
1. forgetting to breathe
2. not breathing
3. not breathing properly
4. automatic breathing stopped and interrupted
5. body failing for breathing
6. manually breathing
7. consciously breathing
8. thinking about breathing
9. concentrating and focusing on breathing
10. holding in breathe
11. anxious about breathing
12. Automatic breathing damaged
13. Central nervous system interrupted
14. Possible Brain infection from abscessed tooth

I have never struggled so much in these few days, and it's only Wednesday. I am so fearful at night as bad thoughts come into mind, such as dying and that my breathing and heart will stop. I am concerned and worried if I have a serious undiagnosed neurological disorder, affecting my central nervous system to breathe correctly. I can't enjoy anything, and simple tasks like watching TV or listening to music become impossible as I concentrate on my breathing, even more and feel as if I'm not even breathing.
This is driving me almost crazy, I can barely talk to anyone without feeling like I'm not breathing.

It's been almost 6 months with this problem but not until the extreme extent until recently. I don't know what todo. I haven't been to the doctors in ages, and I'm scared they'll find something wrong me.
I am so scared in my own body, am I going to die?

Today, I was at the dentist and I was incredibly so anxious, I felt my heart beating so fast plus it was cold so I was shaking even more, the nurse told me to sit up right and try and calm down and drink water which I did, she also told me to inhale through my nose and exhale through my mouth which I did and did with her as well. The doctor even saw how anxious I was and was aware of how anxiety can make someone feel and panicky feeling which I was. It was impossible to calm down plus I was still shaking during the procedure and struggling with my breathing, I felt like I was holding in my breath and in fact not breathing. I told the doctor and nurse that before the procedure I was anxious about my breathing and they told me to continue breathing through my nose and mouth.
I felt like I was going to stop breathing as the shakiness continued, and I couldn't even control to sit still. I'm sure the procedure took longer than I expected because of my theatrics but I couldn't help it. I've have never experienced such pain before at the dentist, my jaw felt like it was pulled with a strong hanger and beaten up badly with a hammer. It was extremely painful, plus going through my breathing problems during the process made it SO challenging.
Earlier this morning, I genuinely couldn't eat because of how sick I felt and I feel even more sick than I did before. I am now worried, and anxious at home.

Tomorrow, I am free. I am going to see if I can go to the emergency room for a health check up as I am experiencing abnormal breathing issues which are frighten me to the point where I don't know what I will ever do or if this will pass. I am optimistic that this will subside and that I am healthy, and have no problem but the reality of it all is scary. I need someone to examine my brain and see if there's any abnormalities , I need someone to examine my heart, and lungs. I have been contemplating going to the ER for 5 months, EVERY SINGLE DAY, I think of just going but I never do, I feel like I need the reassurance now and find a therapist who can help me because I'm so clueless.
My family think I'm "okay" but I don't feel okay.

Does anyone have any advice for this problem?

Hi

As a asthma sufferer you should be more careful at this present time we are in ok because you are in the at risk group with covid19,
Its understanding you feeling anxious ok, but no need to feel you going to die as you won't,
Ok you said you been like this for almost 6 months without seeking any help from your GP, why wait this long as you should had been there months ago, what do you think they would find wrong with you because you have asthma and it affects your lungs and breathing so at worse maybe an infection on lungs but don't panic as you will be fine,

Good thing for you to do is breathe in & out slowly and concertrate on your breathing and use your inhaler more if needing to do so as well because that's reasons why you have these .
As I just said above about breathing you were told by dental nurse to breathe through your nose and don't feel anxious and they were correct on this.

I have worked alongside people with asthma and other breathing difficulties and everyone was fine when they left hospital as sometimes you get into a panic situation that will make your asthma worse and may land up in hospital for further treatment before sending you home.

Go and see your doctor for this and he will reassure you on things ok .
You have anxiety.

Please don’t go to A&E with a 6 month problem, especially during a global pandemic.
Make an appointment to discuss it with your GP, they will be best placed to see if there is a physical ailment to address in addition to being able to help with anxiety. Best first point of call for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Allyson2020
Hi

As a asthma sufferer you should be more careful at this present time we are in ok because you are in the at risk group with covid19,
Its understanding you feeling anxious ok, but no need to feel you going to die as you won't,
Ok you said you been like this for almost 6 months without seeking any help from your GP, why wait this long as you should had been there months ago, what do you think they would find wrong with you because you have asthma and it affects your lungs and breathing so at worse maybe an infection on lungs but don't panic as you will be fine,

Good thing for you to do is breathe in & out slowly and concertrate on your breathing and use your inhaler more if needing to do so as well because that's reasons why you have these .
As I just said above about breathing you were told by dental nurse to breathe through your nose and don't feel anxious and they were correct on this.

I have worked alongside people with asthma and other breathing difficulties and everyone was fine when they left hospital as sometimes you get into a panic situation that will make your asthma worse and may land up in hospital for further treatment before sending you home.

Go and see your doctor for this and he will reassure you on things ok .

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I'm trying to be careful with the pandemic and my asthma and taking Social distancing seriously.
Yes I feel anxious, about my teeth and my breathing which is why I am here. I'm staying optimistic as possible that I'm okay and reminding myself it's anxiety even though the breathing issues feel surreal and something serious.

Yes, I've been dealing with it for almost 6 months. It only started to become severe this week. Prior to that, my breathing issues had been less apparent and noticeable. I have been trying to get through to my GP for months but no luck until I had filled out the e-consult form online where I received a phone call from one of the nurses at the practice. I explained my symptoms to her (at the time) and she told me that my breathing issues would become worsened when during physical activity (and at the time then, my breathing was okay, I still had the problems but I could do more things. I felt like my normal self when I went for my walks but until I came home, I was in the vicious circle) and she even mentioned about possibly being on medication. She was probably thinking I was crazy listing these symptoms to her, and it even sounds crazy writing it online but it feels so real. I've been wanting to go the A&E for a health check up for months but I have not gone. My family think I'm okay in my body but I don't feel like it.
I've brought it up many times about just going. my GP aren't doing any face to face check ups so my only desire would be to go the A&E and take precautions protection of course. I am worried that i might have an undiagnosed neurological disorder affecting my central nervous system in terms of breathing. It's been so long I'm scared that I will have this erratic breathing problem forever as at home remedies aren't seem to be working.
Concentrating on my breathing makes me more anxious where it starts to feel funny then I'm back in the cycle.
I'm trying not to focus on it and do other stuff but I am struggling even listening to music as I become aware of it.
I'll use my inhaler more as I never know when to use it, only time I ever seem to use it is when I feel wheezy. I'm going to try breathing in and out slowly.
Thanks, as soon as I can get in touch with a doctor I will be sure to see them.
Reply 5
Original post by Etomidate
You have anxiety.

Please don’t go to A&E with a 6 month problem, especially during a global pandemic.

Its hard I just need help :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
Make an appointment to discuss it with your GP, they will be best placed to see if there is a physical ailment to address in addition to being able to help with anxiety. Best first point of call for you.

I've been trying to get through to them for months. Every time I call, I'm directed to the voicemail. My only suggestion would be to go the A&E where I know I'll be seen. I've been suffering in silence for so long, I thought this would pass it on its own but it's not and I don't know what todo.
I've been trying to get through to them for months. Every time I call, I'm directed to the voicemail. My only suggestion would be to go the A&E where I know I'll be seen. I've been suffering in silence for so long, I thought this would pass it on its own but it's not and I don't know what todo.

It may be they have set times calling to get an appointment. Check their website perhaps.

Then, ring again, leave a calm and collected request for a callback appointment with the GP. State it's your asthma and mental health.
I've been wanting to go the A&E for a health check up for months but I have not gone.

I know you're struggling with anxiety, but this is seriously not what A&E is for and you would not receive a warm reception. You'll be faced with a 4hr wait to be told to see your GP.
Reply 9
Original post by Etomidate
I know you're struggling with anxiety, but this is seriously not what A&E is for and you would not receive a warm reception. You'll be faced with a 4hr wait to be told to see your GP.

Really, so they wouldn't give me a check up whatsoever?
All the symptoms I have listed are all anxiety related?
I don't have an undiagnosed neurological disorder?
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
It may be they have set times calling to get an appointment. Check their website perhaps.

Then, ring again, leave a calm and collected request for a callback appointment with the GP. State it's your asthma and mental health.

Thanks, will do this and see if I can arrange for an appointment.
Really, so they wouldn't give me a check up whatsoever?
All the symptoms I have listed are all anxiety related?
I don't have an undiagnosed neurological disorder?

Unlikely that you have a neuro issue. Speak to your GP about how you're feeling.
Someone help me too, I have had these symptoms since last year and the doctor just said I had anemia ! 💙Will be appreciatedd xo
Original post by Pathway
Unlikely that you have a neuro issue. Speak to your GP about how you're feeling.

Ok I will thanks. Going to see if I can get through tonight or tomorrow morning.
Original post by deadroseex
Someone help me too, I have had these symptoms since last year and the doctor just said I had anemia ! 💙Will be appreciatedd xo

Really? How do you cope with these problems? And have you ever overcome this?
Ok I will thanks. Going to see if I can get through tonight or tomorrow morning.

You will. It's a chronic issue for you, so it's unlikely to kill you, that sounds more like your anxiety talking tbh.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I'm trying to be careful with the pandemic and my asthma and taking Social distancing seriously.
Yes I feel anxious, about my teeth and my breathing which is why I am here. I'm staying optimistic as possible that I'm okay and reminding myself it's anxiety even though the breathing issues feel surreal and something serious.

Yes, I've been dealing with it for almost 6 months. It only started to become severe this week. Prior to that, my breathing issues had been less apparent and noticeable. I have been trying to get through to my GP for months but no luck until I had filled out the e-consult form online where I received a phone call from one of the nurses at the practice. I explained my symptoms to her (at the time) and she told me that my breathing issues would become worsened when during physical activity (and at the time then, my breathing was okay, I still had the problems but I could do more things. I felt like my normal self when I went for my walks but until I came home, I was in the vicious circle) and she even mentioned about possibly being on medication. She was probably thinking I was crazy listing these symptoms to her, and it even sounds crazy writing it online but it feels so real. I've been wanting to go the A&E for a health check up for months but I have not gone. My family think I'm okay in my body but I don't feel like it.
I've brought it up many times about just going. my GP aren't doing any face to face check ups so my only desire would be to go the A&E and take precautions protection of course. I am worried that i might have an undiagnosed neurological disorder affecting my central nervous system in terms of breathing. It's been so long I'm scared that I will have this erratic breathing problem forever as at home remedies aren't seem to be working.
Concentrating on my breathing makes me more anxious where it starts to feel funny then I'm back in the cycle.
I'm trying not to focus on it and do other stuff but I am struggling even listening to music as I become aware of it.
I'll use my inhaler more as I never know when to use it, only time I ever seem to use it is when I feel wheezy. I'm going to try breathing in and out slowly.
Thanks, as soon as I can get in touch with a doctor I will be sure to see them.

Hi
Thanks for your reply

1) if you feel you needing to use your inhaler then use it as the doctors will tell you this if you feel you need to.

2) even if your doctor only taking phone calls from patients its still worth talking to him / her about things and if necessary they may ask you to come into the practice for a more intensive talk.

3) it don't sounds like you have a underlying neurological disorder as its seems you just to anxious and bit stress over things especially with covid19 ok.

4) don't goto A&E as wasting all the staff time there when there's more important cases to be dealt with by staff, there's always NHS 111 who will then make a decision but first port of call is your doctor ok, don't put it off as call asap for an appointment.

If you feel you can PM message me then do so okay .
Really? How do you cope with these problems? And have you ever overcome this?

At home, I usually go on a walk outside my garden and drink a lot of water. I usually watch YouTube or do something to take my mind of things!

Sometimes, I stop breathing and I have to take really deep breaths and just stop moving and put my whole focus on that.

In crowded areas it is a big problem, I still do not know, especially at school or outside I still struggle. I sweat and my eyes water. I haven't figured out how to overcome this just yet.

Before I go to sleep, I can never breathe and I think I am going to die like I just will not wake up. I try thinking of my future or something that made me happy! Never horrible moments because that makes it worse!

When asked to hold my breath I never do it because I can never catch my breath again. When walking for too long or standing I can't catch my breath either so I drink a lot of water which helps me.

I can't wear masks because I choke on my breath. So, I just do not.

I always think about breathing and fainting especially when in silence. Then I sit still and think to myself or mess around with things.

So just play around with things like scribbling, playing with hair, pens anything whatever you have on you.

Reading helps too!

I don't know, It is bad after eating and when I am asked to do something my heart leaves and my brain stops me from breathing! Thinking about it and writing rn is making me think about it so I will stop.

I don't exactly know what I do. This is what I remember of the top of my head of remembering periods where I cant breathe. I am not diagnosed with Asthma but I suffer from what I have mentioned and some things u suffer from

I hope this is helpful a bit 💙
Original post by Pathway
You will. It's a chronic issue for you, so it's unlikely to kill you, that sounds more like your anxiety talking tbh.

No luck for tonight but will try again tomorrow morning.
Yeah it's chronic I need intensive help and therapy for this I'll see if I can get through to having CBT (the real one not the computer version I had during quarantine).
No luck for tonight but will try again tomorrow morning.
Yeah it's chronic I need intensive help and therapy for this I'll see if I can get through to having CBT (the real one not the computer version I had during quarantine).

Hmm they may want you to wait a little while if you've recently had cCBT. It's supposed to give you ample time to use the techniques you learnt during the therapy. But it's a good shout to ask for it again to help with your health anxiety.

Quick Reply

Latest