The Student Room Group

I want to give up

I feel like giving up, my sister ( who is 20 years older ) said to me that I’m too dumb to practise law and that I’ll be even lucky to get in. I feel like giving up, none of my family support me with my dreams and she proved it today. Both her and my brother in law just laughed in my face. Is there any way to block those comments, I give up studying because of her words.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How rude. Keep studying; you'll prove her wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like giving up, my sister ( who is 20 years older ) said to me that I’m too dumb to practise law and that I’ll be even lucky to get in. I feel like giving up, none of my family support me with my dreams and she proved it today. Both her and my brother in law just laughed in my face. Is there any way to block those comments, I give up studying because of her words.

Mate,

1 simple thing to do....

Delete them out of your life! Surround yourself with positive people and choose your own family. Don't prove them wrong as it sounds like they aren't worthy of sharing in the joy of what you WILL accomplish Just do it for you and you alone.
Reply 4
Well, I never applied for law however throughout my time at university I met several law students — they varied from very intelligent to less than mediocre, the thing which united them was the mindset of enjoying working hard.

On a secondary note, I was told by a former teacher of mine that I wouldn’t get into any Russell Group university (kind of imagine UK’s version of the IVY League unis if you’re American) for my degree. I not only proved her wrong, I am currently studying at Cambridge.

Law, in my opinion, isn’t about raw intellect it’s about working hard and rising to meet challenges. People, even your sister, like to view themselves as superior and to imagine no one can do what they do — especially not their younger siblings. It’s only true if you allow it to be. You can choose to accept what she’s said, or you can choose to prove her wrong and not only become a lawyer but be a better lawyer than her. That’s your choice. You either choose to be a loser and be kicked to the curb, or you stand tf up fight for what you know you want either ignoring her or outright not engaging her in the conversation along the way
Reply 5
She is very rude! Keep studying!
Are you boy or girl? Do you major in law in university? Do you study well on law?
What's your ambition?
Reply 6
Original post by shebk
She is very rude! Keep studying!
Are you boy or girl? Do you major in law in university? Do you study well on law?
What's your ambition?

I’m a girl, I’m planning to study Law next year it’s just that I’m having to retake one of my A levels. My main goal is to become a solicitor and then a few years later attempt to become a barrister
Reply 7
I’m a girl, I’m planning to study Law next year it’s just that I’m having to retake one of my A levels. My main goal is to become a solicitor and then a few years later attempt to become a barrister

Good ambition! Why do you retake your A level? Don't you study well?
Reply 8
Original post by shebk
Good ambition! Why do you retake your A level? Don't you study well?

My teacher had downgraded me. I’m basically taking a foundation year and retaking my one of my A level so then I can transfer to my desired university next year as my 1st and then if I don’t get into my desired university then I have a backup. Majority law firms look into A level grades as it’s so competitive hence why I’m retaking
Reply 9
Do your sister treat you badly? Or she is just disappointed with you?
Easier said than done but ignore her and your brother in law. People love to take out their own insecurities on others, says more about them as people than you. My dad told me I wasn't clever enough to go into Forensic Psychology. What did I do? Applied for a Masters course in Forensic Psychology and got accepted. I'm due to finish in November and haven't received anything less than a Merit since starting. Focus on yourself and your goals. You're never going to be good enough for some people so you might as well do what you want to do.
Thank you to those for replying back, I feel a lot more motivated now😊
Blood is thicker than water but sometimes you need to bleed yourself.

So what will you achieve by giving up?

There is a mantra that cutting negative people out of your life is a good thing to do. I'm not really sure if that applies to family but in all seriousness, what good do they bring to your life?
Original post by ByEeek
So what will you achieve by giving up?

There is a mantra that cutting negative people out of your life is a good thing to do. I'm not really sure if that applies to family but in all seriousness, what good do they bring to your life?

it’s hard as she lives in my house, I usually tend to stay in my room by myself to avoid them
it’s hard as she lives in my house, I usually tend to stay in my room by myself to avoid them

You've got this. You'll think back later on and realise these challenges ultimately made you even more likely to succeed. Just keep working hard and you will achieve your ambition. :smile:
Your sister and brother sound insecure. Prove em wrong OP
Reply 17

Well done you
Original post by Ksadanand
You've got this. You'll think back later on and realise these challenges ultimately made you even more likely to succeed. Just keep working hard and you will achieve your ambition. :smile:

Thank you
tell her to **** off
you can do it.

Quick Reply

Latest