The Student Room Group

biology active and passive transport

Why is it important to have two systems of transport, active and passive to allow substances to enter and leave cells and why molecules would be better transported by one rather than the other?

Can anyone help with these, please?
Small, noon polar molecules can travel straight through the membrane through passive diffusion. On the other hand, some molecules are polar (have a charge) or are too big to travel straight through the cell membrane, so they need a bit of help from proteins, such as channel and carrier proteins
Reply 2
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Small, noon polar molecules can travel straight through the membrane through passive diffusion. On the other hand, some molecules are polar (have a charge) or are too big to travel straight through the cell membrane, so they need a bit of help from proteins, such as channel and carrier proteins

That makes more sense, Thank you for your help.
Original post by sarz89
That makes more sense, Thank you for your help.

that's coool. im doing a level bio and in 2nd year so need any help, just ask :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
that's coool. im doing a level bio and in 2nd year so need any help, just ask :smile:

That's nice of you thank you. One question I have to answer is how are cells able to transport large molecules?

i think it is Exocytosis- the outward transport of large particles via vesicle that fuses with the cell membrane, cells use Exocytosis to secrete molecules too large to pass through the cell membrane by any other mechanism.

I'm I close with that or I'm I way off the mark? I'm doing my Acesse course so I can go university but seems to be harder than I thought it would be. lol.
Original post by sarz89
Why is it important to have two systems of transport, active and passive to allow substances to enter and leave cells and why molecules would be better transported by one rather than the other?

Can anyone help with these, please?

Hello, the major reason for the two systems is the difference in concentrations of substances that need to be transported. You see not all substances are readily available. Some are abundant while others are not. However, at different circumstances, both are needed, whether readily available or not. As a result, the passive and active transport system helps solve this. Say, for example, You need Pottasium in your cell and the environment has less of it the only solution will be us active transport. I hope that helps. You can DM me for more solutions.
Original post by sarz89
That's nice of you thank you. One question I have to answer is how are cells able to transport large molecules?

i think it is Exocytosis- the outward transport of large particles via vesicle that fuses with the cell membrane, cells use Exocytosis to secrete molecules too large to pass through the cell membrane by any other mechanism.

I'm I close with that or I'm I way off the mark? I'm doing my Acesse course so I can go university but seems to be harder than I thought it would be. lol.

Yeah that's right. There is also endocytosis in to the cell and proteins in the membrane. i'm pretty sure glucose use a carrier or channel or protein but i'm not sure which
Reply 7
Original post by Kenn Scott
Hello, the major reason for the two systems is the difference in concentrations of substances that need to be transported. You see not all substances are readily available. Some are abundant while others are not. However, at different circumstances, both are needed, whether readily available or not. As a result, the passive and active transport system helps solve this. Say, for example, You need Pottasium in your cell and the environment has less of it the only solution will be us active transport. I hope that helps. You can DM me for more solutions.

thank you so much for your help.
You are certainly most welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending