The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for Healthcare Masters Leading to a Profession (Sonographer)

Hi there,

I'm wondering if somebody can help advise me please.

I'm looking to train as a Sonographer on the Medical Imaging MSc at the University of Cumbria (full-time, two years) but have previous Masters level study. I realise this makes me ineligible for the usual postgraduate loan, but have heard that I might be eligible for a postgraduate maintenance loan. Please would somebody be able to clarify whether this is correct or not? I was given a number to call by Student Finance to speak to the postgraduate advice team, but unfortunately it just goes dead after a few seconds of the initial automated part.

Best Wishes,

Charlotte.
Original post by bambi77
Hi there,

I'm wondering if somebody can help advise me please.

I'm looking to train as a Sonographer on the Medical Imaging MSc at the University of Cumbria (full-time, two years) but have previous Masters level study. I realise this makes me ineligible for the usual postgraduate loan, but have heard that I might be eligible for a postgraduate maintenance loan. Please would somebody be able to clarify whether this is correct or not? I was given a number to call by Student Finance to speak to the postgraduate advice team, but unfortunately it just goes dead after a few seconds of the initial automated part.

Best Wishes,

Charlotte.

Hi, it is possible to receive funding for a postgraduate healthcare course as these courses attract undergraduate funding.

The MSc Medical Imaging (Ultrasound) (Oct start) course and MSc Medical Imaging (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) (Oct start) course at Cumbria University are not postgraduate healthcourse courses so therefore you will not be eligible.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, it is possible to receive funding for a postgraduate healthcare course as these courses attract undergraduate funding.

The MSc Medical Imaging (Ultrasound) (Oct start) course and MSc Medical Imaging (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) (Oct start) course at Cumbria University are not postgraduate healthcourse courses so therefore you will not be eligible.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for getting back, however the course actually starts in April, it's this course:

https://www.cumbria.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate/medical-imaging-ultrasound-full-time-msc/

Would the particular course I'm interested in (one I've provided the link for above) not be eligible for a maintenance loan either?

Thanks,

Charlotte.
Original post by bambi77
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for getting back, however the course actually starts in April, it's this course:

https://www.cumbria.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate/medical-imaging-ultrasound-full-time-msc/

Would the particular course I'm interested in (one I've provided the link for above) not be eligible for a maintenance loan either?

Thanks,

Charlotte.

Unfortunately not as it's not a postgraduate healthcare course.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
Unfortunately not as it's not a postgraduate healthcare course.
Thanks, Isaac

Ok, thanks for letting me know, however what is defined as a postgraduate healthcare course please (is there a list?) as the course in question trains you to be a sonographer (medical ultrasound) working in the NHS?

Thanks,

Charlotte.
Original post by bambi77
Ok, thanks for letting me know, however what is defined as a postgraduate healthcare course please (is there a list?) as the course in question trains you to be a sonographer (medical ultrasound) working in the NHS?

Thanks,

Charlotte.

Our guidance states:

Eligible courses must be;
A minimum of 2 years in length
Full Time (Distance Learning courses will not be eligible)
Level 7
Pre-registration courses in allied health profession subjects, nursing and midwifery that lead to a PG Diploma or Masters qualification

Postgraduate Nursing, Midwifery and the below courses:

Chiropody
Dietetics
Dietetics and Nutrition (The individual course nutrition is not a valid AHP course)
Occupational Therapy
Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
Orthoptics
Physiotherapy
Podiatry
Prosthetics and Orthotics
Radiography
Radiotherapy
Speech and Language Therapy

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending