Christ's college (STEP EXAMS)
Gonville and Cais
Magdalene
Peterhouse (STEP EXAMS)
Queen's
At. John's
Sidney Sussex (3A*s)
Trinity
I am ignoring statistics because they are making me depressed af. If anyone could give me inside information or their solicited advice on which colleges of these look the best then that will be much appreciated! 😊

Scroll to see replies

What do you want out of your place to live? STEP is something to bear in mind - but it may also mean they could be more likely to give you an offer because there's the extra challenge to weed some people out that way.

Aside from that, I would think about which would be good for where you want to live. What's the accommodation like, and average cost? Where is it in relation to your department - but bear in mind many colleges have accommodation away from their central site. How many other engineers, or people in general do you want in your year group? Peterhouse is less than half the size of Trinity in terms of its student body.

It's a personal choice and there's no right or wrong answer - and you could get pooled elsewhere anyway.
look at the way they conduct their interviews, some have no questions before, some give you questions to look at before one of the exams

I'm applying as well I think, how is your ENGAA prep going?
Original post by withproblems
Oh really Hi! Yea previously I wasn't do so well, but I've improved 😊my friends are doing the ECAA and NSAA so I think ours is the better one. What percentage Ru aiming for because I'm not sure what they expect?

Hmm I’m really not sure because Camb are very holistic, I think maybe 60% ish should be a good mark? As cliche as it sounds, I’m just gonna try and do my best
Original post by wizkid44
Hmm I’m really not sure because Camb are very holistic, I think maybe 60% ish should be a good mark? As cliche as it sounds, I’m just gonna try and do my best

Yea totally! Which college Ru applying to?
Hi I am struggling to decide on which college to apply to for engineering:
Christ's college (STEP EXAMS)
Gonville and Cais
Magdalene
Peterhouse (STEP EXAMS)
Queen's
At. John's
Sidney Sussex (3A*s)
Trinity
I am ignoring statistics because they are making me depressed af. If anyone could give me inside information or their solicited advice on which colleges of these look the best then that will be much appreciated! 😊

Why Cambridge for Engineering would be my question? They don't offer a year in industry ... my top students [4 A*s] are going elsewhere these days.
Yea totally! Which college Ru applying to?

Fitz. Have you decided yet?
Original post by Muttley79
Why Cambridge for Engineering would be my question? They don't offer a year in industry ... my top students [4 A*s] are going elsewhere these days.

Where are they going?
Original post by wizkid44
Where are they going?

Various, mainly non-RG, degree courses with a year in industry.
What have you considered? Accommodation, cohort sizes etc.

Anything you'd specifically like to know?
Various, mainly non-RG, degree courses with a year in industry.

interesting

Cambridge does general for two years which gives you a broader base. They have great links in the industry and you can do work experience in the summer.
Cambridge does general for two years which gives you a broader base. They have great links in the industry and you can do work experience in the summer.

I talked to a third year engineering student who was at a university that did a general engineering course to start with. He was glad that they did, since it had caused him to change his mind about what sort of engineering he wanted to go in for.

Working for the summer is no way the same as for a whole year where you get your own project - many students then use this as a basis for their dissertation. Thee students are getting job ahead of Oxbridge grads as they are 'ready to work'.

Their links are no way a extensive of those with year in industry links - ignore the hype. Lots of Engineering disciplines overlap anyway - you can do Automotive Engineering and then get a grad job in Electrical. How much modern technology and software does Cambridge expose you to? Very little I think you will find.
Working for the summer is no way the same as for a whole year where you get your own project - many students then use this as a basis for their dissertation. Thee students are getting job ahead of Oxbridge grads as they are 'ready to work'.

Their links are no way a extensive of those with year in industry links - ignore the hype. Lots of Engineering disciplines overlap anyway - you can do Automotive Engineering and then get a grad job in Electrical. How much modern technology and software does Cambridge expose you to? Very little I think you will find.

I probably won't get in anyway lol😂😂

Anyway, I've already sent it off 😁

Original post by Theloniouss
What have you considered? Accommodation, cohort sizes etc.

Anything you'd specifically like to know?

Do you go to Cambridge?
Do you go to Cambridge?

Not yet, although I know a number of people who do/did.
Original post by Theloniouss
Not yet, although I know a number of people who do/did.

Oh ok. Ru taking a gap year or in y13?
Oh ok. Ru taking a gap year or in y13?

gap year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending