The Student Room Group

Being called ugly, can’t work out if it was a joke or what..

I work in the NHS and one of the assistants off the ward came into my office asking about a patients mobility. She is very chatty/outgoing, can be over the top/a bit dizzy but due to this she has good rapport with the patients.

Anyway something she said kind of got to me a bit. I wasn’t wearing a mask as its a big office/more than 2 metres and she took her mask off then said ‘I’m not used to seeing you without your mask’, ‘your still ugly arnt you’, one of the male workers in the office started laughing a bit and she pointed to him and then laughed. I just said ‘yeah. Then about 5 minutes later she said ‘you look older without your mask’. I just said ‘I am older’ she said ‘how old are you’ I told her and then I can’t remember what she said. She was just being her usual chatty self around these conversations.

The thing is Ive been called ugly in the past a few times By people even my mum as I’m not great at styling myself etc. People have said Im not the best of looking, have crap hair -I find it hard to style my hair. I remember one worker saying that I looked like I’d been dragged through an hedge, I can’t tell if my hair looks ok or not most of the time.

Ive just had it dyed blonde though yesterday lol I thought it looked ok.

Anyway yea I can’t help thinking there was some truth to her comment I mean how would you take it?
Post edited automatically
beauty is on the inside - at the end of the day when we are 80, we will all be ugly
Wow, whether it was a joke or not, that was really unprofessional of her and just down right rude. People don’t realise the impact their words can have. If you are affected by what she has said, please just remember that it talks volumes of who she is as a person, and that is a much bigger issue than how someone looks.
Original post by Anonymous
I work in the NHS and one of the assistants off the ward came into my office asking about a patients mobility. She is very chatty/outgoing, can be over the top/a bit dizzy but due to this she has good rapport with the patients.

Anyway something she said kind of got to me a bit. I wasn’t wearing a mask as its a big office/more than 2 metres and she took her mask off then said ‘I’m not used to seeing you without your mask’, ‘your still ugly arnt you’, one of the male workers in the office started laughing a bit and she pointed to him and then laughed. I just said ‘yeah. Then about 5 minutes later she said ‘you look older without your mask’. I just said ‘I am older’ she said ‘how old are you’ I told her and then I can’t remember what she said. She was just being her usual chatty self around these conversations.

The thing is Ive been called ugly in the past a few times By people even my mum as I’m not great at styling myself etc. People have said Im not the best of looking, have crap hair -I find it hard to style my hair. I remember one worker saying that I looked like I’d been dragged through an hedge, I can’t tell if my hair looks ok or not most of the time.

Ive just had it dyed blonde though yesterday lol I thought it looked ok.

Anyway yea I can’t help thinking there was some truth to her comment I mean how would you take it?

if someone else can decide if you are happy or not is that not the ultimate slavery - you should not worry about others opinions and should just be confident in your own skin
it sounds like this women is generally quite much. i'd just ignore her. her opinion doesn't matter.
How discourteous of them! Quite frankly, I'm assuming she's a dingus because there's no reason to be taunting someone because of their appearance. No matter what your intentions are. Please do not listen to this person because most likely they feel horrible about theirself. Good luck and feel better. :console:
I know someone who does this to people regardless of whether they're ugly or beautiful. They just think it's a joke.

In fact some people think they can say this to someone precisely because that person isn't ugly, and so they don't perceive it as offensive. If that makes sense? Like I'm a size 8 but in the past people have called me chubby as a joke, say if I had a big lunch. Obviously doesn't bother me at all, but the situation would be totally unacceptable if I was actually overweight.

Maybe it's like that?
on top of that your adults, she is obviously immature :flutter:
Don't let her words effect you! It really shows someone's character when they judge someone by their looks and it is incredibly immature and not professional at all.

You are gorgeous and remember that true beauty comes from the inside as it doesn't fade away :smile:
Original post by Borahae20
I know someone who does this to people regardless of whether they're ugly or beautiful. They just think it's a joke.

In fact some people think they can say this to someone precisely because that person isn't ugly, and so they don't perceive it as offensive. If that makes sense? Like I'm a size 8 but in the past people have called me chubby as a joke, say if I had a big lunch. Obviously doesn't bother me at all, but the situation would be totally unacceptable if I was actually overweight.

Maybe it's like that?

This is a very reassuring reply lol, thanks !
Original post by Anonymous
This is a very reassuring reply lol, thanks !

was my comment reassuring or trash you can be honest I won't be offended
I go for the dragged back through the hedge backwards look too. You shouldn't care about what she says. :biggrin:
That was extremely unprofessional and uncalled for. You’re there to work, not to have your looks rated. If she keeps being a snide ***** then don’t be afraid to pull her up about it and say that you don’t appreciate being spoken to like that. Never let people talk to you like ****.
Original post by Fermion.
That was extremely unprofessional and uncalled for. You’re there to work, not to have your looks rated. If she keeps being a snide ***** then don’t be afraid to pull her up about it and say that you don’t appreciate being spoken to like that. Never let people talk to you like ****.

was my comment any good? - or not really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending