blaze16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I have a (rather long) shortlist of colleges and I need to decide which one to apply to.

I'd really like to be able to self-cater, but am struggling to find this information on most of the individual college websites.

So, if anyone knows about the following colleges and whether or not you can self cater (both for first year and subsequent years) that would be amazing!

Christ's - sounds like you can self-cater here?
Clare
Corpus Christi
Downing
Gonville & Caius
Jesus - pretty confident you can self-cater here?
Pembroke
Peterhouse
Queens' - sounds like you can here?
St Catharine's
St John's
Selwyn
Sidney Sussex
Trinity Hall

Thank you!!
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
At Peterhouse, our first year students do not have access to hobs, so you would struggle.

I'd recommend having a look at the Accommodation pages of College websites. Failing that, you can look at the JCR websites (if they have a website - not all do - which might have more information).
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by blaze16)
Hi,

I have a (rather long) shortlist of colleges and I need to decide which one to apply to.

I'd really like to be able to self-cater, but am struggling to find this information on most of the individual college websites.

So, if anyone knows about the following colleges and whether or not you can self cater (both for first year and subsequent years) that would be amazing!

Christ's - sounds like you can self-cater here?
Clare
Corpus Christi
Downing
Gonville & Caius
Jesus - pretty confident you can self-cater here?
Pembroke
Peterhouse
Queens' - sounds like you can here?
St Catharine's
St John's
Selwyn
Sidney Sussex
Trinity Hall

Thank you!!
St John's you will definitely have the option to self cater (i.e. oven/ stove) in 2nd and 3rd years (and beyond) where you can simply get a room in a college-owned hostel 2-3 minutes walk from the front door. First year - you will probably be limited to a microwave unless hostel rooms pop up on the first year ballots (which they occasionally do but you are at the mercy of what higher years chose).
However John's does have a mandatory food bill to subsidise prices for buttery meals (aka day to day meals) and for formal meals (fancier meals you book in the big hall for "special occasion" (but people just find excuses to go anyway)). This is a pretty generous deal if you go to the buttery/ formal quite a lot - but if you are going to self-cater almost all your meals then you will be losing out.

I don't know, but I have strong suspicions that what I just said about John's is true for almost all the colleges you listed there. Generally first years are pushed into having a localised first year set of rooms where catering is provided by the college (and this is probably a kindness rather than oppression since it gives first years less to worry about and should make getting to know people easier). Whether or not those colleges have external hostels/ rooms where you can have access to self-catering I'm less sure on.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd also add that your assessment of Queens' and Jesus is correct - Queens' kitchens all have hobs, as I think do Jesus.
blaze16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
At Peterhouse, our first year students do not have access to hobs, so you would struggle.

I'd recommend having a look at the Accommodation pages of College websites. Failing that, you can look at the JCR websites (if they have a website - not all do - which might have more information).
Thank you so much, that is really helpful!

Ah yes, some Accommodation pages were really helpful but some seemed a bit ambiguous (or maybe it was just me!) so I wanted to confirm. I will look at JCR websites though, thank you for the tip and for your help!
blaze16
Rep:
?
(Original post by R T)
St John's you will definitely have the option to self cater (i.e. oven/ stove) in 2nd and 3rd years (and beyond) where you can simply get a room in a college-owned hostel 2-3 minutes walk from the front door. First year - you will probably be limited to a microwave unless hostel rooms pop up on the first year ballots (which they occasionally do but you are at the mercy of what higher years chose).
However John's does have a mandatory food bill to subsidise prices for buttery meals (aka day to day meals) and for formal meals (fancier meals you book in the big hall for "special occasion" (but people just find excuses to go anyway)). This is a pretty generous deal if you go to the buttery/ formal quite a lot - but if you are going to self-cater almost all your meals then you will be losing out.

I don't know, but I have strong suspicions that what I just said about John's is true for almost all the colleges you listed there. Generally first years are pushed into having a localised first year set of rooms where catering is provided by the college (and this is probably a kindness rather than oppression since it gives first years less to worry about and should make getting to know people easier). Whether or not those colleges have external hostels/ rooms where you can have access to self-catering I'm less sure on.
Thank you so much! That is the impression I am getting, thank you so much for your thoughts on it. I had read about the food bill, it seems that most places have it so eating in halls is logical in that way.

It makes sense to be catered for first year - I'd love to self-cater but I guess it makes sense to hold off until things settle down! Thank you for your help
blaze16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
I'd also add that your assessment of Queens' and Jesus is correct - Queens' kitchens all have hobs, as I think do Jesus.
Fantastic, thank you very much!!
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My daughter has just moved into Clare - she would rather self cater but it isn't going to be possible to make a lot of meals. She shares the gyp with 6 others and there is one hob with 4 rings plus a microwave, toaster, kettle - no oven. Due to Covid the buttery will be offering takeaways but normally you eat there, scan and just pay at the end of the term.
blaze16
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
My daughter has just moved into Clare - she would rather self cater but it isn't going to be possible to make a lot of meals. She shares the gyp with 6 others and there is one hob with 4 rings plus a microwave, toaster, kettle - no oven. Due to Covid the buttery will be offering takeaways but normally you eat there, scan and just pay at the end of the term.
Fantastic, thank you so much! I hope she enjoys it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
32%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (31)
20.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.33%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.33%

Watched Threads