The Student Room Group

Leeds university

Do you recoomend me to study in leeds? How is uni in there? And student life? It’s good?
Leeds University is a very sensible choice, it’s in north of England, so cost of living is reasonable.
Things are online at present, and the uni is in a bit of chaos, but it does have a great student life, it’s a big city, big uni, member of the prestigious Russell group of UK research universities.

Which course were you thinking of, sometimes that can suggest exactly where to go in the UK?
Thinking of nursing @LuigiMario
Original post by LuigiMario
Leeds University is a very sensible choice, it’s in north of England, so cost of living is reasonable.

Leeds is one of the most expensive to live in the North (by quite a bit).

Original post by nataliamontes
Thinking of nursing @LuigiMario

What type? Have you looked at Nursing University ranking table?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Leeds is one of the most expensive most to live in the North (by quite a bit).

Yes, you could be right, I only lived there for 17 years :-) , and have friends currently at Leeds Uni
but data is needed , so here’s some

On average it costs a single student between £134 and £217+ a week to live in Leeds, made up of the following expenses: rent £90+ food £20 - £50....
From https://students.leeds.ac.uk/budgetandcosts

Manchester £223/week based on Accom £135 food £38 other costs £50 (2020/2021 costs from Manchester University website) They’re basically similar. Hull uni would be cheaper.

Agree that more research is suggested for Nursing

Whilst Leeds Uni is next door to the Leeds General Infirmary, teaching placements come from the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. Worth checking out their website.

As I toured Scotland recently looking for Nursing teaching establishments, my favourite was University of Dundee (Kirkcaldy campus) as that was a very friendly ‘classic’ NHS nursing teaching environment. Stirling was also great, but more classroom focussed.

Doesn’t Scotland offer free tuition to Nursing?, I never looked in England/Wales due the costs. Things do change...
Original post by LuigiMario
Yes, you could be right, I only lived there for 17 years :-) , and have friends currently at Leeds Uni
but data is needed , so here’s some

On average it costs a single student between £134 and £217+ a week to live in Leeds, made up of the following expenses: rent £90+ food £20 - £50....
From https://students.leeds.ac.uk/budgetandcosts

Manchester £223/week based on Accom £135 food £38 other costs £50 (2020/2021 costs from Manchester University website) They’re basically similar. Hull uni would be cheaper.

Agree that more research is suggested for Nursing

Whilst Leeds Uni is next door to the Leeds General Infirmary, teaching placements come from the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. Worth checking out their website.

As I toured Scotland recently looking for Nursing teaching establishments, my favourite was University of Dundee (Kirkcaldy campus) as that was a very friendly ‘classic’ NHS nursing teaching environment. Stirling was also great, but more classroom focussed.

Doesn’t Scotland offer free tuition to Nursing?, I never looked in England/Wales due the costs. Things do change...

Bit of a biased source isn't it?
@LuigiMario Leeds Beckett university and adult nursing
So Leeds has 3 or 4 universities , University of Leeds is the Russell prestigious big university , whilst Leeds Beckett actually has a larger number of students than “the big uni”

It used to be Leeds Polytechnic, but has been renewed, quite modern facilities.

I had a quick look at LB Adult Nursing page, it was missing some useful information, for example how many weeks per year is the course - some Nursing Colleges are 42 weeks or longer, and often housing for student nurses is “special” as you need a longer contract than the other students, as you’ll be doing practical time in the hospitals. Probably Beckett has a detailed prospectus which should give more info, but I didn’t quickly find that.

Any reason why you chose Leeds?, as opposed to some of the other nursing colleges suggested/hinted-at by @RoyalSheepy

Leeds Beckett looks quite similar to Edinburgh Napier, i.e. nursing training in simulated NHS corridors
Original post by nataliamontes
Do you recoomend me to study in leeds? How is uni in there? And student life? It’s good?

Hello @nataliamontes,

I am a recent graduate from the University of Hull. If you are looking at studying at a Northern Uni, then I just wondered if you had considered the University of Hull within your search. In the complete university guide (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/nursing) we score 16th in the country for our nursing courses (with Leeds Beckett scoring 58th). The courses are a mixture of placement and studying within our recently built £28 million Allam Medical Building on campus. You can find out more about the course HERE.
With regards to the student life, I really enjoyed my time at Hull. There were always lots of different things to be getting involved with and plenty of independant businesses which catered for all (board game cafes, the deep, art galleries). Alongside this the bars and clubs were also very cheap with a double spirit mixer costing only £1.90! For more information on costs and affordability then please click HERE. Also if you ever did want to hop over to Leeds then its just a short train journey away :smile:

I hope this helps in providing you with more informations :smile:
Thanks
Millie
Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending