The Student Room Group

19 still live at home no kids still go to college still reliant on parents

I know it’s not the best and need to change urgently, I’m just worried it’s too late. I don’t have the money to move out, Im currently saving up for a car for when I pass my test, I should have a car buy now, I’m a fully grown man. I shouldn’t be at college at this age, it’s quite embarrassing, I should be working full time like every other adult and I should have my own house or at least flat with a girlfriend. I just don’t know how I can sort myself out because it’s too late now, I have been an adult for a long time now. I go to college and have a small job which Id rather not say but it’s not enough to get me house. My lifestyle is like a kids.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's nothing wrong with the things you mentioned, everyone goes at their own pace in life.

You need to grow up mentally and have a change of your outlook on life and what to aim for next. Because honestly, you sound like a 12 year old whining right now.
Reply 2
Original post by Xarao
There's nothing wrong with the things you mentioned, everyone goes at their own pace in life.

You need to grow up mentally and have a change of your outlook on life and what to aim for next. Because honestly, you sound like a 12 year old whining right now.

Wtf, I’m trying to explain how I feel in life right now
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Are you seriously saying you wish you had kids at 19 years old? Grow up.

What you have written applies to everyone who goes into further of higher education - it's normal ...
I know it’s not the best and need to change urgently, I’m just worried it’s too late. I don’t have the money to move out, Im currently saving up for a car for when I pass my test, I should have a car buy now, I’m a fully grown man. I shouldn’t be at college at this age, it’s quite embarrassing, I should be working full time like every other adult and I should have my own house or at least flat with a girlfriend. I just don’t know how I can sort myself out because it’s too late now, I have been an adult for a long time now. I go to college and have a small job which Id rather not say but it’s not enough to get me house. My lifestyle is like a kids.

Plenty of people still live at home age 19. Plenty of adults end up moving back in with their parents after they have finished their university.
Its not *that* unusual to be still studying at college age 19. Anyone who has failed their GCSE/ A-levels do. Also most people learning a trade spend 3 years + at college.
You don't have an automatic right to have a girl friend, so stop feeling sorry for yourself. You will find someone right for you eventually.

If you don't like your current job, look for new one.
(edited 3 years ago)

I believe you posted about your situation in another forum before. Nonetheless, I will still give advice.

I am 19. I am financially intelligent, as I manage all of my money through databases and spreadsheets. I keep track of every penny that I spend, since this is a good habit to engage in when wanting to be financially confident. I have not passed my test, but even when I do, I will not buy a car until I have kids, which will be around 25. Cars are depreciating assets, and you lose the lump sum of money when going to re-sell the car in the end. Furthermore, you have so many maintenance costs, include repair, insurance, MOT and road tax (assuming you do not buy an electric car, which you should). I am going to live in accommodation soon and I consider this my move to independence. When I move in, I will create a society at university, learn a new language every year, learn a new instrument, a new sport, travel to local museums, galleries, theatres, green spaces, travel abroad if I can every month to European countries (cheap Ryanair flights) and also work on developing a company.

You become an adult the moment you go into university, assuming you enter it at 19/20. Yes, the legal age of an adult is 18, but I believe 20 is where you really start to change your outlook on life. In my case, I turn 20 in several months, and I would consider that to be the start of my adult life.

Your plan:
- Get your college grades
- Go to university (depending on what you wish to do)
- Do not buy a car until you have kids (if you choose to have kids)
- Use your maintenance loan from university, if you choose to go there, to go into accommodation and be independent.
Reply 7
Original post by curbyourfeminism
I believe you posted about your situation in another forum before. Nonetheless, I will still give advice.

I am 19. I am financially intelligent, as I manage all of my money through databases and spreadsheets. I keep track of every penny that I spend, since this is a good habit to engage in when wanting to be financially confident. I have not passed my test, but even when I do, I will not buy a car until I have kids, which will be around 25. Cars are depreciating assets, and you lose the lump sum of money when going to re-sell the car in the end. Furthermore, you have so many maintenance costs, include repair, insurance, MOT and road tax (assuming you do not buy an electric car, which you should). I am going to live in accommodation soon and I consider this my move to independence. When I move in, I will create a society at university, learn a new language every year, learn a new instrument, a new sport, travel to local museums, galleries, theatres, green spaces, travel abroad if I can every month to European countries (cheap Ryanair flights) and also work on developing a company.

You become an adult the moment you go into university, assuming you enter it at 19/20. Yes, the legal age of an adult is 18, but I believe 20 is where you really start to change your outlook on life. In my case, I turn 20 in several months, and I would consider that to be the start of my adult life.

Your plan:
- Get your college grades
- Go to university (depending on what you wish to do)
- Do not buy a car until you have kids (if you choose to have kids)
- Use your maintenance loan from university, if you choose to go there, to go into accommodation and be independent.

I don’t know
Reply 8
Original post by glassalice
Plenty of people still live at home age 19. Plenty of adults end up moving back in with their parents after they have finished their university.
Its not *that* unusual to be still studying at college age 19. Anyone who has failed their GCSE/ A-levels do. Also most people learning a trade spend 3 years + at college.
You don't have an automatic right to have a girl friend, so stop feeling sorry for yourself. You will find someone right for you eventually.

If you don't like your current job, look for new one.

Reported
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
What you have written applies to everyone who goes into further of higher education - it's normal ...

Not for my age
Original post by Xarao
Are you seriously saying you wish you had kids at 19 years old? Grow up.

Yes, I know people who have had kids at 19
Reported

:bawling:
Yes, I know people who have had kids at 19

Just because you know people that have doesn’t mean you should.
19 is just barely an adult.
As the saying goes, Hate something-Change Something.

Finish your college and make a plan for the future.
It's normal to live at home at age 19.
Original post by GabiAbi84
Just because you know people that have doesn’t mean you should.
19 is just barely an adult.
As the saying goes, Hate something-Change Something.

Finish your college and make a plan for the future.

Barely an adult lmao?

Legal adult age:18
GabiAbi84: 19 is barely an adult
Barely an adult lmao?

Yes...19 is one year older than legal adults age. That’s barely...

And you certainly aren’t behaving remotely like one so clearly you haven’t matured into it yet.
Reported

What the... reporting him for what? I am sorry, but it is people like you that make it such a hassle to speak openly on this site. Facts do not care about your feelings. In order to be able to think, you have to risk being offensive. I am certainly willing to risk being offensive in the pursuit for truth, and this is because the truth is objective, while unjustified opinions will always remain subjective.

Reporting him is just impractical, and frankly silly.
Original post by curbyourfeminism
What the... reporting him for what? I am sorry, but it is people like you that make it such a hassle to speak openly on this site. Facts do not care about your feelings. In order to be able to think, you have to risk being offensive. I am certainly willing to risk being offensive in the pursuit for truth, and this is because the truth is objective, while unjustified opinions will always remain subjective.

Reporting him is just impractical, and frankly silly.

He said I’m feeling sorry for myself
Barely an adult lmao?

Oh come on.
As you have proved age doesn't necessarily equate to maturity.
(edited 3 years ago)
Not for my age

You are a lost cause my friend. Actually fix yourself and figure out what to do, instead of writing anonymously on a forum many times about your situation. The more time you moan and complain, the more time you waste. Fix yourself, because right now, you are both useless to yourself and to society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending