The Student Room Group

My parents spend about £30 on me a week , is this a lot ?

I am in year 13 and am 17.

I do not have "proper job" but school takes up my entire evenings every single day where I work from about 5 until 10 in the evenings and work all day on weekends.

I don't have time for a traditional job as most of my working day goes into school work and my EPQ, but I work just as long as anybody with a full-time job tbh.

My parents treat me to pizza and dessert every Friday and we go out for a carver on a Sunday and I have a dessert then. All in all this comes out to about £30 a week spent on me..

I feel kind of guilty like I am robbing from my parents as its not my money yet I get the joy of the thing THEY are buying..

They said its ok as I am working just as hard and even longer than people doing full time jobs so I don't need to worry.

Is this a lot each week to have spent on me ?

Scroll to see replies

Not really. That is way less than what my parents spend weekly as I have 2 siblings. I know you feel a bit guilty, I sometimes do aswell especially being in Year 10 but they do it because they love you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I am in year 13 and am 17.

I do not have "proper job" but school takes up my entire evenings every single day where I work from about 5 until 10 in the evenings and work all day on weekends.

I don't have time for a traditional job as most of my working day goes into school work and my EPQ, but I work just as long as anybody with a full-time job tbh.

My parents treat me to pizza and dessert every Friday and we go out for a carver on a Sunday and I have a dessert then. All in all this comes out to about £30 a week spent on me..

I feel kind of guilty like I am robbing from my parents as its not my money yet I get the joy of the thing THEY are buying..

They said its ok as I am working just as hard and even longer than people doing full time jobs so I don't need to worry.

Is this a lot each week to have spent on me ?

If they can comfortably afford it then no it's not a lot. I think it's nice that your parents do this for you.
Not at all, your parents sound wonderful.
i get 10 a week. be grateful; there are people who have school meals and no financial support xd.
Reply 5
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Not at all, your parents sound wonderful.

Yes they are very giving people.
It is lovely that you are able to have a family meal together.
Many families don't for multiple reasons.

I think getting a job would go you alot of good.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
i get 10 a week. be grateful; there are people who have school meals and no financial support xd.

I am very grateful. Also don't the government give subsidies to people on that little income like an extra £20 a week per child ?
Not at all, I think it's really nice they do that for you, no need to feel guilty! You're their child and they're having dinner with you! Trust me, if you were actually spoilt or something you would not be feeling guilty over it too so don't worry :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by glassalice
It is lovely that you are able to have a family meal together.
Many families don't for multiple reasons.

I think getting a job would go you alot of good.

Also how come ? I will get a job but I think its better to focus on education first so I can get a job that pays the same money in half the time and the work is less demanding.
Also how come ? I will get a job but I think its better to focus on education first so I can get a job that pays the same money in half the time and the work is less demanding.

Work commitments/ laziness/ family tention

Many people at college also have part-time jobs. Education can't teach you everything.
You should think about ensuring you are doing other things besides studying too. Life is not all about one subject and one career. And in terms of career aspects you need more to show than just grades etc.
You need friends in life as well, you need a bit socialness too.

Sounds like you're quite committed to your education so I don't think you have to worry too much about being lazy or anything haha. I'm sure your parents would rather you focus on that. Might not be too possible in the current climate anyway but you could still do something extra a couple of hours a week if you wanted to, such as volunteering or a 4 hour/week part time job etc?
I would defo agree with this as well, you shouldn't be working all evenings and all day. It's too much and completely unnecessary
Not at all. They probably enjoy eating out with you so get something for their money other than just a nice meal for you.
I wouldn't even think it was a lot of money if you got it straight up.
Your parents just love you. :biggrin:
I have my own YouTube channel where I try to help people with their studying and also did Jiu Jitsu before covid hit
I have my own YouTube channel where I try to help people with their studying and also did Jiu Jitsu before covid hit

What's the YouTube channel called?
It's a lovely thing to do, remember you are working hard to make sure you have the best future possible so it's nice to have a bit of downtime and a weekly treat
Reply 18
Original post by deadroseex
Not really. That is way less than what my parents spend weekly as I have 2 siblings. I know you feel a bit guilty, I sometimes do aswell especially being in Year 10 but they do it because they love you :smile:

his parents are spending more than £30 on him. they're just spending £30 on his pizza and desert....
Original post by ANM775
his parents are spending more than £30 on him. they're just spending £30 on his pizza and desert....

I know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending