The Student Room Group

Are my A-levels competitive enough?

I really want to study human sciences at Oxford. This is a pretty competitive course. I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Geography and Drama but I'm considering dropping chemistry. I feel like the only reason I'm taking it is to prove my academic ability to Oxford and that I can do a difficult a level, and they don't require chemistry for the course (although biology and maths are suggested). I feel like chemistry is sort of on the same wavelength as maths if that makes sense so I perceive it to give me an advantage in that way. Would my A-levels not be competitive enough to get into Oxford if I dropped chemistry? I am also considering keeping chemistry as it keeps my pathway into medicine open if I change my mind about the current career I want.
Reply 1
I would strongly recommend dropping drama and taking Maths and keeping Chemistry - I checked the course site and Maths is required? Oxford and Cambridge have a list of preferred A-level subjects, some subjects are considered soft and some are completely ignored (Drama being one of them). Ultimately you have to balance what you want to do for the next 2 years, what you think you can achieve grade-wise and if the short term sacrifice is worth the long term goal (If you don't think the A*AA A2 requirements is attainable then study what you will enjoy more (or the number equivalents now). (Im an Oxford Chem Grad FYI - and dropped Geography to take Maths (something I had not enjoyed at GCSE because of the teacher)).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JT2902
I would strongly recommend dropping drama and taking Maths and keeping Chemistry - I checked the course site and Maths is required? Oxford and Cambridge have a list of preferred A-level subjects, some subjects are considered soft and some are completely ignored (Drama being one of them). Ultimately you have to balance what you want to do for the next 2 years, what you think you can achieve grade-wise and if the short term sacrifice is worth the long term goal (If you don't think the A*AA A2 requirements is attainable then study what you will enjoy more (or the number equivalents now). (Im an Oxford Chem Grad FYI - and dropped Geography to take Maths (something I had not enjoyed at GCSE because of the teacher)).

Thank you for your reply. I want to be an actor so dropping drama would be less than desirable. I checked and maths is a green which means its only suggested you take it and it is not forcefully recommended so I will not be taking maths. I have decided to stay with the same subjects and continue chemistry for a few more months and reconsider then.
I agree with the previous replier. If you want to go to Oxford, there will be people applying with all facilitating subjects which are deemed as more useful for a sciences course. Just out of interest, if you want to become an actor, why does the Oxford course appeal to you?
Reply 4
Original post by mwindram
I agree with the previous replier. If you want to go to Oxford, there will be people applying with all facilitating subjects which are deemed as more useful for a sciences course. Just out of interest, if you want to become an actor, why does the Oxford course appeal to you?

Acting is a risky business to be getting into I want to have a backup because I'm smart and I can have a good non-acting career if I want one but I need a degree first (without trying to sound boastful). Human sciences combines my two favourite subjects, geography and biology. Its not that science heavy tbh and I'm interested in the demography side of the course.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Acting is a risky business to be getting into I want to have a backup because I'm smart and I can have a good non-acting career if I want one but I need a degree first (without trying to sound boastful). Human sciences combines my two favourite subjects, geography and biology. Its not that science heavy tbh and I'm interested in the demography side of the course.

I dont think you need a Drama A-level to get into acting tbh... also the acting scene at Oxford is decent and almost no one has a Drama A-level. Your application will be a lot more competitive with 3 "hard" A-levels so if you do decide to drop something just something to keep in mind. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest