The Student Room Group

What A-Level is best : Computing or Maths

Hi, I am interested in a career in either Computer Science or Environmental Science. For my GCSE's I didn't choose Computer Science (which I regret) so have practically no experience of coding. For A-Levels I was thinking Biology, Environmental Science and Computing but after a bit of googling I saw some places saying Maths at A-Level was more valued for universities. However I am a little worried that if I decide to do maths at A-Level then want to do a Computer Science Degree I might not have enough knowledge on coding e.c.t. What do you recommend?
Lets put it like this :

You can do maths without computing but you can't do computing without maths. Most unis put A level maths as a priority even over computer science !
Reply 2
Original post by seals2001
Lets put it like this :

You can do maths without computing but you can't do computing without maths. Most unis put A level maths as a priority even over computer science !

Thanks!
What about maths, computing and then environmental science or biology? They seem like the priority for what you want to do
Original post by Tiny_
Hi, I am interested in a career in either Computer Science or Environmental Science. For my GCSE's I didn't choose Computer Science (which I regret) so have practically no experience of coding. For A-Levels I was thinking Biology, Environmental Science and Computing but after a bit of googling I saw some places saying Maths at A-Level was more valued for universities. However I am a little worried that if I decide to do maths at A-Level then want to do a Computer Science Degree I might not have enough knowledge on coding e.c.t. What do you recommend?

You don't need to do coding at school - it's cheap and easy to do at home.

Maths is the priority. However, you're going to have to demonstrate your interest in computing, which CS A level does. Otherwise, you need to do a lot of your own projects.
Reply 5
Original post by historynerd47
What about maths, computing and then environmental science or biology? They seem like the priority for what you want to do

That is an option but for many science based university courses don't you need two science A-levels, so do you know if maths or computing counts for that?
Original post by Tiny_
That is an option but for many science based university courses don't you need two science A-levels, so do you know if maths or computing counts for that?

Maths counts as a science for quite a lot of uni courses, you'd just have to have a look at the ones you're interested in and see what they say :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by apolaroidofus
Maths counts as a science for quite a lot of uni courses, you'd just have to have a look at the ones you're interested in and see what they say :smile:

Thanks !
Reply 8
Original post by RogerOxon
You don't need to do coding at school - it's cheap and easy to do at home.

Maths is the priority. However, you're going to have to demonstrate your interest in computing, which CS A level does. Otherwise, you need to do a lot of your own projects.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest