The Student Room Group

Passing maths

I am in year 13 and got 3/D in maths so failed. I need maths to do the careers. So far I've resat it once and got a 3, mind you we were having dependent maths lessons once a week. This year we are having a lot more, to ensure we are as close as possible to passing.

Due to covid we could sit the June paper resit, which is why they failed us as in the space of a few months they gathered we would have passed-especially as I've resat it once.

Today they told us we have to retake it in 4 weeks time and we didn't know how soon this was.
Im going to really try, I know covid has really affected everybody
learning but I need maths as it's fundamental. Our teacher doesn't think we will pass this time also because we've only been back 3 weeks and I've only had 2 lessons as they clash with my other subjects. I'm determined.
If we fail this time we have to do it with our actual A levels-I think this is ridiculous!!

Any advice on how to pass.
It's written on my ucas application (3-but retaking)
My maths teacher told me that next year the university will want more students as a lot have not the proper one due to lockdown.
If so do you think students who are privately candidates to resit with be taken into consideration. This will be as back up. So far I need to pass this!!
Original post by success4life
I am in year 13 and got 3/D in maths so failed. I need maths to do the careers. So far I've resat it once and got a 3, mind you we were having dependent maths lessons once a week. This year we are having a lot more, to ensure we are as close as possible to passing.

Due to covid we could sit the June paper resit, which is why they failed us as in the space of a few months they gathered we would have passed-especially as I've resat it once.

Today they told us we have to retake it in 4 weeks time and we didn't know how soon this was.
learning but I need maths as it's fundamental. Our teacher doesn't think we will pass this time also because we've only been back 3 weeks and I've only had 2 lessons as they clash with my other subjects. I'm determined.
If we fail this time we have to do it with our actual A levels-I think this is ridiculous!!

My maths teacher told me that next year the university will want more students as a lot have not the proper one due to lockdown.
If so do you think students who are privately candidates to resit with be taken into consideration. This will be as back up. So far I need to pass this!!

You can message me if you need help with individual questions, but here's what I did. Do one pass paper, preferably under exam conditions, timed. Try to have no distractions. Once you've done the paper, ask your teacher to mark it so that you have a non-biased marker. Then, write a list of the areas you have gotten wrong and have another look at these. Watch videos if it helps, do loads of questions. Then, in a week, do another past paper. Again, go through what you're not sure on!

You can message me if you need help with individual questions, but here's what I did. Do one pass paper, preferably under exam conditions, timed. Try to have no distractions. Once you've done the paper, ask your teacher to mark it so that you have a non-biased marker. Then, write a list of the areas you have gotten wrong and have another look at these. Watch videos if it helps, do loads of questions. Then, in a week, do another past paper. Again, go through what you're not sure on!
Original post by ascel2500

Thank you!!
I need maths to do the careers. So far I've resat it once and got a 3, mind you we were having dependent maths lessons once a week. This year we are having a lot more, to ensure we are as close as possible to passing.

Something needs to change then, or you'll get the same, or worse, result again. I had this with GCSE (was O level then) French, which could have cost me my place at Oxford.

Whilst COVID has had an impact, those that are motivated can still study. There are numerous resources on the internet to help if you want to understand Maths. You really need to use them to fully understand the syllabus. Help is also available on here, but, I would start with resources like Khan academy. Once you understand the material, and have enough practice to avoid silly mistakes, it'll be impossible not to get a good grade. Maths really is easy once you understand it, but it takes time and practice.

Where are you losing marks?

When did you think that it was?

Why do you think that? What would you suggest?
Original post by RogerOxon
Something needs to change then, or you'll get the same, or worse, result again. I had this with GCSE (was O level then) French, which could have cost me my place at Oxford.

Whilst COVID has had an impact, those that are motivated can still study. There are numerous resources on the internet to help if you want to understand Maths. You really need to use them to fully understand the syllabus. Help is also available on here, but, I would start with resources like Khan academy. Once you understand the material, and have enough practice to avoid silly mistakes, it'll be impossible not to get a good grade. Maths really is easy once you understand it, but it takes time and practice.

Where are you losing marks?

When did you think that it was?

Why do you think that? What would you suggest?

I see your point.
We did the exam before so we believe we would pass. Which is why we stopped using resources until we got the results you see. i an actually very good at maths my teacher says and I get all of the answers right In class. I walked in late and heard the question and worked it out just like that. Like I have so many ways to do things that work.
but in an exam there like one answer it seems and I get it wrong as I freak out.
Hey, so I was in your position a few years back and I got a 4 in my last Y11 mocks which wasn't great because I wanted to do maths at A level. I'm now doing Computer Science at a Russell Group uni so that's that

I actually started doing this a month before my real GCSEs so if you start doing this now you will end up in a good position if you keep at it!

Go on Maths Genie and highlight everything from level 3 with red orange and green highlighters based on how good you are at the topics. You can print the page out or you can use browser extensions and highlight them on your computer - just search 'highlighter google chrome' or whatever browser you're using

Watch the videos for the topic (start with red). Look up videos on YouTube or Khan Academy or elsewhere if you're stuck

Complete the test and check answers

Move to the next topic

Do this until you've finished all the videos and tests for level 3, then do it again for level 4, level 5 and so on. I would also suggest finding a exam walkthrough video - do the exam, then watch the video for the exam. You can always ask for help on specific questions on discord servers :smile:

The difference to other methods is that you aren't tackling the whole exam at once, and you're also not doing the exercise questions in some textbooks which are unrealistic, so you have more practice with the exam itself. It also increases gradually in difficulty

Hope this was of some use for you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Good maths resources are the revision book, snaprevise, ixl, seneca and khan academy. I'm also doing year 2 maths at the moment, so feel free to PM for any help. always around for it :smile: x
Original post by howtochangename
Hey, so I was in your position a few years back and I got a 4 in my last Y11 mocks which wasn't great because I wanted to do maths at A level. I'm now doing Computer Science at a Russell Group uni so that's that

I actually started doing this a month before my real GCSEs so if you start doing this now you will end up in a good position if you keep at it!

Go on Maths Genie and highlight everything from level 3 with red orange and green highlighters based on how good you are at the topics. You can print the page out or you can use browser extensions and highlight them on your computer - just search 'highlighter google chrome' or whatever browser you're using

Watch the videos for the topic (start with red). Look up videos on YouTube or Khan Academy or elsewhere if you're stuck

Complete the test and check answers

Move to the next topic

Do this until you've finished all the videos and tests for level 3, then do it again for level 4, level 5 and so on. I would also suggest finding a exam walkthrough video - do the exam, then watch the video for. You can always ask for help on specific questions on discord servers :smile:

The difference to other methods is that you aren't tackling the whole exam at once, and you're also not doing the exercise questions in some textbooks which are unrealistic, so you have more practice with the exam itself. It also increases gradually in difficulty

Hope this was of some use for you :smile:

This definitely does but everything into perspective! Thank you!!

Hi @success4life

When I was doing my Maths revision for GCSE, I found that doing loads of past papers really helped. As I could see what topics I didn't understand then work on those. I also used to watch videos on YouTube of other people doing past papers which helped as I could see where I had gone wrong.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:
Thank you!!

Don't do that - what the poster offered is against the rules - post questions here.

Try these resources: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports
This definitely does but everything into perspective! Thank you!!

DO NOT use Khan Academy - it has American terminology which does not agree with UK definitions.
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @success4life

When I was doing my Maths revision for GCSE, I found that doing loads of past papers really helped. As I could see what topics I didn't understand then work on those. I also used to watch videos on YouTube of other people doing past papers which helped as I could see where I had gone wrong.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest