The Student Room Group

Upgrade time - Stick with Android or change to iPhone?

Hello,

Lurked on here for ages and tonight cause I'm the worst at decisions like this, set up this account. I've been reading Gofre's guide which is so helpful. Still can't decide, and I was hoping for some advice.

I used to have an iPhone back in 2012 then changed to Android, mainly Samsungs. The reason I changed back then was that my iphone was stolen from me and I was wary after that.

Every time I upgrade I wonder whether to go back but haven't yet. I was given an iPad earlier this year, and I guess that's got me thinking about going back or to stick with Android.

I have a Galaxy s9 plus which is great aside from the battery which is definitely draining faster recently.

I'd like a phone with a great battery, good camera (I take a lot of photos outdoors, of wildlife, nature and then also my dog). I do use social media a fair bit, twitter, IG, Tiktok, a few games but limited to Bitlife/BlockuDoku and then photo editing like picplaypost and a couple of others too and some finance apps etc. I currently use Spotify.

Have considered iPhone 11, S20+ (though concerned about Exynos) and the upcoming 20FE 5g. Happy to go wireless earphones wise.

Vodafone are who am with so OnePlus not an option. Flexible re price for a good phone on contract.

Sorry, i know this is long. Happy to provide any more info if needed. Just let me know and thank you for any help.
Reply 1
If you want great battery avoid iPhone basically. I’ve had my phone for not even 3 years and the health is at 66%.
Reply 2
Android Pros: Very easy to use and assimilate into familiarity. Good quality cameras in newer models. Generally cheaper. Plenty of storage options.
Cons: Although security has improved, iPhone has superior security.
Original post by justseptember
I've been reading Gofre's guide which is so helpful.

Aww, I'm blushing :ahee:

But yeah, I would wait to see what the iPhone 12 series look like before making a definitive choice. There may be some new phones you want to consider, or it will at least drive down the price of the current models.
Original post by Pelola
Cons: Although security has improved, iPhone has superior security.

This isn't really true nowadays. Security is a multifaceted issue, and it's not a flat "iOS is more secure than Android". In some categories, iOS exploits are so prevalent that exploit vendors won't even buy them any more. Although security on the whole isn't something the average user needs to worry about, since neither Android nor iOS are low hanging fruit. Social engineering would be a bigger threat, and your OS doesn't matter in that scenario.
Thank you all. So surprised to come back and find so many replies.

Food for thought. One other thing is I am at some point considering getting a smart watch too (if I don't go with a garmin) I love running/swimming and after a period away from them, intending to get back to it all (the swimming when things are back to normal again that is where I am).

One of those things where I don't watch to get mired into one specific system. I know with the FE at the moment, there's an offer to get a free gearfit2 I think it is which at least would let me find out how I can get on with something like that.

I always end up overthinking all this stuff so I do really appreciate all your points of view and I may just wait for the iphone12 though I'm impatient and from what I've read the specs aren't going to be mindblowing (then again with vodafone there's the ability to change iphones after a year). Can you tell I'm confused and been definitely overdoing the research! :biggrin:
Reply 6
If I were you, I'd go with the S20FE, mainly to avoid Exynos, but also because of the value (especially compared to iPhones). Buying Android over iPhone also means that you're not necessarily locked into any particular ecosystem.
Original post by BigK215
If I were you, I'd go with the S20FE, mainly to avoid Exynos

Only in the 5G model, just to note.
Original post by BigK215
If I were you, I'd go with the S20FE, mainly to avoid Exynos, but also because of the value (especially compared to iPhones). Buying Android over iPhone also means that you're not necessarily locked into any particular ecosystem.

Yeah, I've been looking at the 5g version. And watched lots of reviews of the FE. I guess my only reservation is the 2 year thing but I tend to ignore what's going on in the phone world anyway until i know I can upgrade and maybe I'd get a smartwatch in the interim anyway. Also the ram is just 6 which is the same as my 9plus but I know the SD will help the battery life which is where I'm struggling with my phone.

Thank you, yep. It having SD is what's making me wonder whether to go with this phone and being familiar with Samsung/Android rather than iPhone or anything else like the s20+ given I can't opt for a Oneplus with Vodafone. I'll end up just tossing a coin at this rate!
Reply 9
When are you planning to upgrade?
Original post by Xarao
When are you planning to upgrade?

I'm able to upgrade now so anytime really.
Thank you, yep. It having SD is what's making me wonder whether to go with this phone and being familiar with Samsung/Android rather than iPhone or anything else like the s20+ given I can't opt for a Oneplus with Vodafone. I'll end up just tossing a coin at this rate!

Bare in mind that there is no functional difference between an Android phone with a snapdragon processor and an Android phone with an Exynos processor, they all behave the same. It's just that the Exynos 990 processor Samsung used in every other S20 and Note 20 model shipped to the UK is a bit behind the Snapdragon 865 in terms of performance and power efficiency.
Thank you, understood. Battery life I've heard does improve compared with say the s20+ (or that's what I've picked up from research) and I guess that ties in with the power efficiency and perhaps makes up for the 6gb of ram? I'm not the biggest power user anyway, just want a nice phone with a good display, nice to use on social media/youtube/spotify (or equivalent) and take good photos of animals/nature and my dog. Excited too to try wireless earphones/buds too whichever phone I end up with.
Thank you, understood. Battery life I've heard does improve compared with say the s20+ (or that's what I've picked up from research) and I guess that ties in with the power efficiency and perhaps makes up for the 6gb of ram? I'm not the biggest power user anyway, just want a nice phone with a good display, nice to use on social media/youtube/spotify (or equivalent) and take good photos of animals/nature and my dog. Excited too to try wireless earphones/buds too whichever phone I end up with.

RAM has little to no effect on battery life.

The Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G could also be worth looking at if those are your key priorities.
Reply 14
I'm able to upgrade now so anytime really.

IF you can, wait till Black Friday. My contract time expires at that point of time for a reason, there's always massive discounts and huge bundles.

Managed to get the IPhone 11 last year with 60gb for only £33 a month and £50 upfront which was removed due to an additional deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending