The Student Room Group

university and racism :/

Hey,

So i’m applying to Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool and Cambridge and was wondering how ‘racist’ these places are?

For starters, I know Manchester should be fine because I live there :P and it’s pretty diverse, however I don’t really know about the others. It’s kinda sad I have to think about this in all honesty...

I’m doing medicine so wherever I do end up, I’ll have to stay there for 5-6 years, so I don’t want something like racism to y’know discourage or distract me?

Any responses are appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Prestigious unis and ignorance are 2 things that rarely go well together. I think you'll be fine. Well educated people are much less likely to be racist, since racism is a product of ignorance.
Reply 2
Original post by mma_jd
Prestigious unis and ignorance are 2 things that rarely go well together. I think you'll be fine. Well educated people are much less likely to be racist, since racism is a product of ignorance.

it’s not just the people at university i’m worried about, i’ll also be livin in these places :/ and people can be both ‘school smart’ and racist trust me :’)
Reply 3
Original post by dxnixl
Hey,

So i’m applying to Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool and Cambridge and was wondering how ‘racist’ these places are?

For starters, I know Manchester should be fine because I live there :P and it’s pretty diverse, however I don’t really know about the others. It’s kinda sad I have to think about this in all honesty...

I’m doing medicine so wherever I do end up, I’ll have to stay there for 5-6 years, so I don’t want something like racism to y’know discourage or distract me?

I would be more focused on where you will get the best education rather than where you will find the 1.0% of racists in this country
Its worth not worrying about how many racists there are in an area is that is an external circumstance you can't control (note: they're everywhere!)
You would be fine in all of those places. They’re all major hubs in some right.

The institutions attract many BAME students in each of those universities listed.

You should be fine, dw, there’s some level of racism’s everywhere and truth be told, you’ll experience it wherever you go as long as it is not a small village type of scenario.

The point about educated people and being less racist is definitely pretty accurate or reliable. These are all cities with a good level of education (compared to the rest of the UK).

I’ve personally been in Manchester and Liverpool (lived both places) and I was fine in each.
Reply 6
Original post by Mason223
I would be more focused on where you will get the best education rather than where you will find the 1.0% of racists in this country

Yep I know i’m just really worried ergh :/ it’s just terrifying i guess
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Ki Yung Na
You would be fine in all of those places. They’re all major hubs in some right.

The institutions attract many BAME students in each of those universities listed.

You should be fine, dw, there’s some level of racism’s everywhere and truth be told, you’ll experience it wherever you go as long as it is not a small village type of scenario.

The point about educated people and being less racist is definitely pretty accurate or reliable. These are all cities with a good level of education (compared to the rest of the UK).

I’ve personally been in Manchester and Liverpool (lived both places) and I was fine in each.

Thankyou!!!

Yep i’m just ergh Ive been called racial slurs before and it makes you feel rubbish at times :’)
Reply 8
Original post by confuseduser
Its worth not worrying about how many racists there are in an area is that is an external circumstance you can't control (note: they're everywhere!)

yep i just have no clue how i’ll deal with any racism i do get - it’ll mess me up :/
Original post by dxnixl
Thankyou!!!

Yep i’m just ergh Ive been called racial slurs before and it makes you feel rubbish at times :’)

Bro. I feel you. I live In a town where the younger people tend to get racist. And the elders hide theirs. It can be very demoralising when the country is your own home too!!!
Original post by dxnixl
Thankyou!!!

Think you are worrying too much tbh. Unis tend to be the opposite and displine for contravenors is taken seriously.
Hardlly see why any of the others should be any different from Manchester.
Racism is muc much much less these days, just think they are idiots , dont engae and move on.
I'm from Liverpool (I'm asian) and the people here are lovely...obviously you get racists everywhere, but the majority of scousers are very welcoming. I've rarely had issues here and have never heard of any racial incidents from people I know who went to the uni😊
Original post by mma_jd

This! I've never spoken to a genuinely intelligent person who's racist and hope that I never will.
Reply 13
Original post by Lookingzar
I'm from Liverpool (I'm asian) and the people here are lovely...obviously you get racists everywhere, but the majority of scousers are very welcoming. I've rarely had issues here and have never heard of any racial incidents from people I know who went to the uni😊

that’s good to know!!! I was most worried about liverpool to be honest but that’s comforting :smile:
Thanks heh :biggrin:
Original post by dxnixl
that’s good to know!!! I was most worried about liverpool to be honest but that’s comforting :smile:
Thanks heh :biggrin:

You're welcome.. Honestly you've got nothing to worry about, Liverpool is a great place!☺️
Reply 15
Original post by dxnixl
Hey,

the least diverse but the most prestigious one is Cambridge!
Reply 16
Original post by mgi
the least diverse but the most prestigious one is Cambridge!

i don’t even think i’ll make it in to be fair -
that’s just there because y’know may i’ll win the lottery and somehow do it :smile:

I’m mostly concerned about the other 3 because they’re more realistic options that’s all
Reply 17
Original post by dxnixl
i don’t even think i’ll make it in to be fair -
that’s just there because y’know may i’ll win the lottery and somehow do it :smile:

I’m mostly concerned about the other 3 because they’re more realistic options that’s all

the other 3 are diverse
Reply 18
Original post by mgi
the other 3 are diverse

that’s good to know thank you :biggrin:
Reply 19
Seem to be making a problem out of nothing; racist people exist everywhere, it is a fact of life unfortunately.

Latest