The Student Room Group

Uni decisions

Wanting to study Pol and IR or Hist and Pol.
Applying to Cambridge for HSPS.
Deciding between Durham, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Bristol, KCL, Lancaster, Nottingham, Exeter and Northumbria.
Please help the deadline is looming.
Also I am eligible for a reduced offer at Newcastle, but only if I firm it.
Original post by zoe.mia.l
Deciding between Durham, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Bristol, KCL, Lancaster, Nottingham, Exeter and Northumbria.

Your first choice is to decide what course you’re applying for - history and politics will be a very different course to politics and IR, which in turn has differences to HSPS (although admittedly HSPS is generally quite a unique course). So try and nail down which subject you’re going to apply for.

Then think about what specific things you care about for a university. Do you want to be based in a large city or somewhere smaller? What are the accommodation options like? How affordable are the cities? Options for part time work, years abroad/in industry etc.? How far from home are they? What are the sports and societies like? Etc.

Off the top of my head, points to consider:
KCL is in London, which is a very unique (and expensive) student experience, is that why you want?
Durham is much more quiet but very historic.
Bristol and Nottingham will give you that city life better than somewhere like Durham or Exeter.
Edinburgh is (obviously) in Scotland, so look at how that would affect things for you.

Those are a few of the key points that stand out to me from the universities you’ve listed.
Course first by ranking those unis into your order of preference.
Then also rank the unis in terms of facilities and the place you want to live in order of preference.

You should have a couple of those floating towards the top of both those lists hopefully and try and find a happy medium of the two. You cant be on a cracking course but not feeling the place you want to live at / cracking place to live but hate the course modules :smile:

While the Cambridge deadline is approaching that doesn't apply to your other choices. You can apply with just Cambridge initially and add the others later.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
While the Cambridge deadline is approaching that doesn't apply to your other choices. You can apply with just Cambridge initially and add the others later.

Thank you for your reply. I never knew this was an option. Are you definitely sure I am able to do this? This would help me a lot!!!!!
You can't beat a good old-fashioned pros and cons list!
Thank you for your reply. I never knew this was an option. Are you definitely sure I am able to do this? This would help me a lot!!!!!

Absolutely sure. See Section 5:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending