The Student Room Group

Scholarship application advice

I'd love some pointers, from anyone who has been successful, on how to frame a scholarship application! Any advice on what to say/not say and how to stand out pls?
Original post by Yakety Yak
I'd love some pointers, from anyone who has been successful, on how to frame a scholarship application! Any advice on what to say/not say and how to stand out pls?

Which scholarship? You have to read the terms of each award and work out what measures they are awarding on, and then deliver the strongest evidence you have.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Which scholarship? You have to read the terms of each award and work out what measures they are awarding on, and then deliver the strongest evidence you have.

There's a handful on offer with different criteria but your application goes into a general pool for all of them so you have to keep it generic to an extent. Just wondered what I should/ shouldn't be focusing on. Do I talk about being poor, or brilliant?! What specifics count?
It will make a big difference to affordability, hence the pressure...
Reply 3
I'd love some pointers, from anyone who has been successful, on how to frame a scholarship application! Any advice on what to say/not say and how to make my application stand out pls?
There's a handful on offer with different criteria but your application goes into a general pool for all of them so you have to keep it generic to an extent. Just wondered what I should/ shouldn't be focusing on. Do I talk about being poor, or brilliant?! What specifics count?
It will make a big difference to affordability, hence the pressure...

That's the wrong strategy though. Suppose there were 5 scholarships, all with different individual criteria, but with the winners pulled from a collective pool. The generic application would never get pulled, because it's inevitable that at least one applicant in the pool will have written a tailored application for one of each of the scholarships. The generic will be beaten to the offer in all 5 cases.

So you have to look at the individual criteria, and assess which ones you have a realistic chance of getting, and then write for those. And even if all 5 have the same criteria, you still need to work that out and write about those things. Like any application for a job, funding, award etc, the offer goes tot he closest with with the criteria published. The specifics that count are what they say counts, not what you think is a feature of you/your situation.

Really depends on the scholarship but ask yourself this:
What are they looking for, how do you fill that criteria, how can you demonstrate this through their application process.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Really depends on the scholarship but ask yourself this:
What are they looking for, how do you fill that criteria, how can you demonstrate this through their application process.

Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
That's the wrong strategy though. Suppose there were 5 scholarships, all with different individual criteria, but with the winners pulled from a collective pool. The generic application would never get pulled, because it's inevitable that at least one applicant in the pool will have written a tailored application for one of each of the scholarships. The generic will be beaten to the offer in all 5 cases.

So you have to look at the individual criteria, and assess which ones you have a realistic chance of getting, and then write for those. And even if all 5 have the same criteria, you still need to work that out and write about those things. Like any application for a job, funding, award etc, the offer goes tot he closest with with the criteria published. The specifics that count are what they say counts, not what you think is a feature of you/your situation.

Thanks. There's not a huge amount of info/ criteria other than the title so not much to go on.
Thanks. There's not a huge amount of info/ criteria other than the title so not much to go on.

Theirs normally more info or hints (including in the title)

The eligibility criteria can be a huge indicator, past recipients, any statements they've given about it...
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
Theirs normally more info or hints (including in the title)

The eligibility criteria can be a huge indicator, past recipients, any statements they've given about it...

Have you had one?
Have you had one?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending