The Student Room Group

Organ donation and transplantation

Hi for my epq project i am looking at the arguments surrounding the change in the organ donation law for deceased donation.
What are your opinions about donating your organs when you die?
Original post by Lucy Noon
Hi for my epq project i am looking at the arguments surrounding the change in the organ donation law for deceased donation.

I think it's a wonderful thing that out of your death, that you can save some lives when you don't need your organs anymore.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I think it's a wonderful thing that out of your death, that you can save some lives when you don't need your organs anymore

are there any organs you wouldn't donate then?
Also do you think that this law should apply to children as well because at the moment in order for children to become donors they need their parents/guardians permission.
I’m very happy to donate any organs needed as I don’t really believe in needing them after death. However, I can understand why some people may want to keep them for religious reasons. Personally though, I wouldn’t mind.
Reply 4
Original post by Yeet69420sexy
I’m very happy to donate any organs needed as I don’t really believe in needing them after death. However, I can understand why some people may want to keep them for religious reasons. Personally though, I wouldn’t mind.

thank you very much for your opinion and you have a great username lol
thank you very much for your opinion and you have a great username lol

Yeah I know thanks 😎
I understand why children need their parents consent because the parents are responsible for their child in a variety of different ways, not just to do with their organs. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with this but I don't know what is the right or ethical way because are children able to make that kind of choice at such a young age without full education? Or as some countries have the opt out system instead should every child automatically have them donated as they are not responsible enough to decide for themselves? I think it is difficult to draw the line and say at what age could children make it themselves and what about if the parents massively disagree with the child, what do you do then as the parent is their legal guardian?
Reply 7

I support voluntary donation of organs if it's personal choice and people should be encouraged to do it. I am a bit uncomfortable about making it something people have to opt out of. Giving organs is an act of great kindness and compassion, but I don't think the state/ nhs has an automatic right to them.
Reply 8
In favour. Have been on the organ donor register since I was in my early teens. Talked it through with my kids and they signed up too when they were ages 8 or so. They can have anything they want, they'll be no use to me.

Have always been livid that next of kin can override your wishes when you've died. I remember my husband having a stand up argument with his Mum (pre our marriage, so she was his NOK at that point) as she said she'd refuse to let his organs be used.
(edited 3 years ago)
are there any organs you wouldn't donate then?
Also do you think that this law should apply to children as well because at the moment in order for children to become donors they need their parents/guardians permission.

No, they can use any organs I won't need them after all. I d respect my child's choice if they said beforehand they wanted to do it and if they weren't old enough then I would do it.
The NHS website https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/helping-you-to-decide/about-organ-donation/consent/ says:

Your family will always be asked for their support before organ donation goes ahead, and clinicians will never proceed if your family objects.

So it doesn't matter how old you are, if your parents are your next of kin they can override your wish to be an organ donor.
I think its very important as it gives people the opportunity to hopefully have a successful life like the individual who had sadly passed away. You can give someone a great gift by leaving your organs/ tissues when you die as people wait for very long periods of time and they're only going to die with you so why not give them someone else who can also get a good use out of them. Without donating your organs someone there is no hope for someone but when there is an organ donor life springs from death sorrow turns to hope and a terrible loss becomes a gift. Organ donation saves and transformed lives of those who are lucky enough to receive a transplant. Its the greatest gift of all

Quick Reply

Latest