The Student Room Group

Want to move out from my girlfriend

I moved in a few months ago but I just have not found it as enjoyable as I hoped. We have been having a lot of disagreements and it’s been playing on my mind. I just don’t like a few things like we have different ways we want to do things. It’s like she sets rules for me when I have to come home things like that and a lot of other things that are too much to explain. The other day I was in bed and she has a kitten which she brought a few weeks ago so I was in bed asleep then I was woken up with her kitten scratching me and everything because she left our bedroom door open when she left for work. Also she was shouting and screaming at me that I left the trash out late at night so I said I’ll clear it in the morning but she was trying to get me to do it then but I was so exhausted. It’s also things like she doesn’t like getting take aways and was screaming at me for getting one. She likes to cook herself but wants to do that every single day and gets boring.

I just tried to explain how I feel and but she ended up getting upset. I explained it all and everything but she doesn’t want me to. I have told her for now I’ll think about things so she stops being upset but I still think it’s better if I move out. I have lived on my own before she moved in so I kind of got used to having my own freedom and I miss having that. I thought moving in together would be good but it’s not been what I have expected

Scroll to see replies

If you've been having many disagreements you are probably not going to last in a relationship. You should probably break up.
Let her know its over its not going to work out between you two as you are both still very young
Reply 3
Original post by Rufus the red
If you've been having many disagreements you are probably not going to last in a relationship. You should probably break up.

It’s disagreements over small things in general like how things should be in the house. I don’t want to break up, things weren’t fine before we moved in together and I think it will be if we didn’t live together. I think we went a bit quickly and maybe should thought more about it
Reply 4
Original post by Scottishlad888
Let her know its over its not going to work out between you two as you are both still very young

I don’t want the relationship over, I just want to not live together
If you're both set in your own ways then it definitely sounds like cohabiting isn't something either of you are ready for yet. Keep in mind though your girlfriend may not see it the same way as you: she may see it is as if you move out then that is the relationship over.
Original post by Anonymous
It’s disagreements over small things in general like how things should be in the house. I don’t want to break up, things weren’t fine before we moved in together and I think it will be if we didn’t live together. I think we went a bit quickly and maybe should thought more about it

Lots of small things is a big thing. Bear in mind that one of the key elements of being in a relationship is being together.
Reply 7
Original post by sinfonietta
If you're both set in your own ways then it definitely sounds like cohabiting isn't something either of you are ready for yet. Keep in mind though your girlfriend may not see it the same way as you: she may see it is as if you move out then that is the relationship over.

I told her I want to be together with her but not live together

An important thing to consider is that if you would rather live apart, how long will that go on for? Do you want to spend your life with this person, and if so, how will that work if you don't want to live with her? Could you see yourself being married to her but still asking each other if she's coming round that night?

If you can't live together now then it suggests you aren't as compatible as you thought.

Well if you move out she might end things with you ? so you will have to stay
Lots of small things is a big thing. Bear in mind that one of the key elements of being in a relationship is being together.

I think it is but many couples don’t live together
Original post by DrawTheLine
An important thing to consider is that if you would rather live apart, how long will that go on for? Do you want to spend your life with this person, and if so, how will that work if you don't want to live with her? Could you see yourself being married to her but still asking each other if she's coming round that night?

If you can't live together now then it suggests you aren't as compatible as you thought.

I honestly don’t know the answer to any of them
Well if you move out she might end things with you ? so you will have to stay

I doubt it
I told her I want to be together with her but not live together

You might not get a choice. It wouldn't be surprising if she gave you an ultimatum, e.g.: stay and remain a couple; move out and it's over.
I doubt it

l hope not but she might go mad at you if you tell her you are wanting to move out
Original post by sinfonietta
You might not get a choice. It wouldn't be surprising if she gave you an ultimatum, e.g.: stay and remain a couple; move out and it's over.

I don’t see what’s wrong with not living together but still having the relationship, many relationships are like that
l hope not but she might go mad at you if you tell her you are wanting to move out

She didn’t get mad just upset
I think it is but many couples don’t live together

But those couples should be able to live together just as happily (if not more so).
But those couples should be able to live together just as happily (if not more so).

All relationships are different
I don’t see what’s wrong with not living together but still having the relationship, many relationships are like that

That is usually prior taking the step to move in together, or due to situations that make it difficult to live together (eg work-related) rather than due to compatibility issues. Afterwards it is seen as a step backwards, which for many is a negative and a sign that the relationship cannot work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending