The Student Room Group

Getting A*AA Wattever it takes! A Y13 GYG

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by laurawatt
27/9/20

Hello my lovelies, sorry for the radio silence in updates :ninja: So now I have two weeks to update you on :colone:

e.gifmocks are in 11 days e.gifso i need to find my motivation sharpish lol :lol:

Maths:
a) we've been using the Newton-Raphson method to locate roots on a graph, it's pretty interesting but a bit repetitive :laugh: also the compound + double angle formulas and the proofs :boring: however the proof Qs in the exam can be worth lots of marks sooooo... best to learn them :mmm:
b) partial fractions and rational functions :rave: I've enjoyed this topic bc it's a bit simpler hehe, and now we've moved on to vectors :cry: (as you will quickly learn, i'm not that fond of mechanics)

Further Maths:
a) Finished our mega calculus review and have started (and finished) the polar coordinates topic :headfire: It's a bit lot complicated but did involve some pretty funky integration!
b) Further Mechanics will be the death of me. Finished oblique impacts and have just started the A2 Work, Energy and Power topic - which is an extension of last year's one :h:

Geography:
All of our geography lessons are dedicated to the NEA, so i thought I'd bundle it all in this section :woo: It's coming on pretty well, i've settled on a title and my proposal form was approved first time :yeah:
So the deadline for my introduction and literature review (research) is next Monday :yep: I think i'm well on track to getting that done, especially as we have all this class time for it! Wish me luck hehe

EPQ:
Have filled in my mid-project progress review sheet and talked with my teacher about it, I reckon I just need to sit down and bosh it out over a weekend tbh, I have about 1500 words so far for my investigation but ideally want another 1000 :yep: Also thinking of doing a questionnaire? Is it worth it? :smile:

In other news, i've registered for the MAT (admissions test) and have got iOS 14 (may or may not have added a few widgets and customised a few icons :teehee: pics attached if anyone's interested lol

home screen pics

QOTD: Fav musical instrument to listen to?
probably violin or cello :yes: :nopity: :rofl:

Anyways, I hope you all have an amazing week, keep smiling and safe :grouphugs:

Tagsssss - pls say if you want to be added or removed :hugs:

Spoiler

It sounds like a busy two weeks! Good luck on your mocks :hugs:
Good luck with your NEA, I've got to hand in my proposal form this week and have no idea what to say :biggrin:

I absolutely hate proofs :frown: couldn't get my head around it in year 12 and I'm dreading it coming up again in year 13

Your homescreen is really cool, I really can't be bothered to change the covers on the apps to make it look pretty :smile:

Hope you have a good week ahead!
Good luck with your mocks :hugs:
I found with the EPQ essay the words came really really quickly once I got past the introduction stage :smile: music also was a godsend with noise cancelling headphones :yep:
Best of luck with your mocks! :hugs:
27/9/20

Hello my lovelies, sorry for the radio silence in updates :ninja: So now I have two weeks to update you on :colone:

e.gifmocks are in 11 days e.gifso i need to find my motivation sharpish lol :lol:

Maths:
a) we've been using the Newton-Raphson method to locate roots on a graph, it's pretty interesting but a bit repetitive :laugh: also the compound + double angle formulas and the proofs :boring: however the proof Qs in the exam can be worth lots of marks sooooo... best to learn them :mmm:
b) partial fractions and rational functions :rave: I've enjoyed this topic bc it's a bit simpler hehe, and now we've moved on to vectors :cry: (as you will quickly learn, i'm not that fond of mechanics)

Further Maths:
a) Finished our mega calculus review and have started (and finished) the polar coordinates topic :headfire: It's a bit lot complicated but did involve some pretty funky integration!
b) Further Mechanics will be the death of me. Finished oblique impacts and have just started the A2 Work, Energy and Power topic - which is an extension of last year's one :h:

Geography:
All of our geography lessons are dedicated to the NEA, so i thought I'd bundle it all in this section :woo: It's coming on pretty well, i've settled on a title and my proposal form was approved first time :yeah:
So the deadline for my introduction and literature review (research) is next Monday :yep: I think i'm well on track to getting that done, especially as we have all this class time for it! Wish me luck hehe

EPQ:
Have filled in my mid-project progress review sheet and talked with my teacher about it, I reckon I just need to sit down and bosh it out over a weekend tbh, I have about 1500 words so far for my investigation but ideally want another 1000 :yep: Also thinking of doing a questionnaire? Is it worth it? :smile:

In other news, i've registered for the MAT (admissions test) and have got iOS 14 (may or may not have added a few widgets and customised a few icons :teehee: pics attached if anyone's interested lol

home screen pics

QOTD: Fav musical instrument to listen to?
probably violin or cello :yes: :nopity: :rofl:

Anyways, I hope you all have an amazing week, keep smiling and safe :grouphugs:

Tagsssss - pls say if you want to be added or removed :hugs:

Spoiler

Best of luck with the mocks :rave:

Haha I am tempted to play around with the new update and the widgets but I find the whole opening shortcuts before annoying :colondollar: yours does look good :awesome: I may give it another go

Have a lovely weekend and take care :hugs:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Best of luck with the mocks :rave:

Haha I am tempted to play around with the new update and the widgets but I find the whole opening shortcuts before annoying :colondollar: yours does look good :awesome: I may give it another go

Have a lovely weekend and take care :hugs:

Thank you!
Ahh what I did was to just make apps like Apple Watch and TV n stuff the apps that i refaced/renamed because I never use them - just for the aesthetic lol, I would get too annoyed about the redirect to shortcuts bit lol :mmm:

You too! Guess you’re back at uni now :awesome:
Thank you!
Ahh what I did was to just make apps like Apple Watch and TV n stuff the apps that i refaced/renamed because I never use them - just for the aesthetic lol, I would get too annoyed about the redirect to shortcuts bit lol :mmm:

You too! Guess you’re back at uni now :awesome:

Ah that's a good idea :gasp: I might try it if I get a chance. I hope they sort that out, would be good :tongue:

:yep: fun times :biggrin:
Hellloooo my lovelies :wavey: think the next update will be over the weekend, mocks start tomorrow and I’m a bit stressed bc they swapped our FM papers around so I have 2 days to cram further mechanics lmao :cry2:

Hope you’re all doing marvellously :hugs:
Hellloooo my lovelies :wavey: think the next update will be over the weekend, mocks start tomorrow and I’m a bit stressed bc they swapped our FM papers around so I have 2 days to cram further mechanics lmao :cry2:

Further mechanics is awful, and I have only just started it :s-smilie: Good luck with all your exams, you'll do great! :hugs:
Original post by Becca216
Further mechanics is awful, and I have only just started it :s-smilie: Good luck with all your exams, you'll do great! :hugs:

Thank you so much! :hugs: Some bits like impulse are easier than normal maths, but on the whole the questions tend to have a lot more stages before you get the answer :yes: Sure you’ll be great at it :rave:

Good luck, lovely - you can do this :rave: :woo: :yep:

You've got this, best of luck! :hugs:

Good luck :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Good luck, lovely - you can do this :rave: :woo: :yep:

Original post by barror1
You've got this, best of luck! :hugs:

Original post by StudentMania
Good luck :smile:

Thank you all :grouphugs: have a great evening :h:
Hope mocks are going/have gone well :hugs:
Original post by Muttley79
Hope mocks are going/have gone well :hugs:

Hi Muttley, thank you so much! I was going to post an update last night but TSR froze on me and I lost what I’d written :lol: update will come later today :hugs:
Hi Muttley, thank you so much! I was going to post an update last night but TSR froze on me and I lost what I’d written :lol: update will come later today :hugs:

I tend to copy long posts now in case this happens - I look forward to reading your update :smile:
17/10/20

how i felt after mocks hehe

Ohh heyyy :ciao: It's been a while since i updated lol, i've been pretty busy! This is take 2 bc TSR froze and deleted the post i was writing yesterday :colondollar:

Mocks: On the whole mocks went okay, they were proper invigilated ones :afraid:

- Feeling relatively confident about maths, apart from the 6 marker where i forgot you could differentiate to find stationary points :ninja: :lol:

- Further Maths was not as good, mechanics was dismal but i have been assured that my discrete was significantly better than then mech (which could mean i bombed the mech, or did v v well in discrete, hoping for the latter to bring my overall grade up :rofl:)

- Geography had some weirdddd questions, i'm also not used to writing essays so it was a bit of a shock to the system to write for 2 hours straight!

So the mocks started last thursday and finished this thursday, a lot of our year was very stressed :sadnod: Kinda hard to stay cheerful + motivated when everyone around you is not quite feeling it y'know?
Proper lessons only started from wednesday onwards - we've carried on with geography NEA, complex numbers+network flows in further and vectors+reciprocal trig function in maths! Before mocks we also covered harmonic motion in maths and work energy and power 2 in further :awesome:

UCAS: Sent off my ucas application on the 9th and have received acknowledgements from all of my choices! Over the past few days i've refreshed Track so many times that i'm surprised that i haven't crashed the site :giggle: but it paid off because on friday i received an offer from Exeter :party:

MAT prep is going okay, i got an all time high of 74 on wednesday doing a timed paper :woohoo: Just need to brush up on my sequences and series bc i've had to self-teach that A2 topic (we're not covering it in school until after christmas :yep:)
Other than that, i've been enjoying bake off and strictly (watching the first ep of the new series now!), done lots of relaxing since mocks finished, and have been feeling pretty christmassy recently! i think it's the weather :gah:

how have you all been? :grouphugs:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Ooooh an offer already! Congrats, lovely :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Ooooh an offer already! Congrats, lovely :hugs:

thank you TLG :cube: also 100 posts :gah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending