The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Applicants Megathread for 2021 entry

I would like to have more people in the same boat with me here!
Remember to leave your information as follows. Here is my information below.
What course you are applying for: Mechanical engineering
What universities you are thinking of: Leeds, Imperial, Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*AAA-A*A*A*A
GCSE/IGCSE grades: 998888 as first cohort in the school
Extra curriculars: Flight training (2018-19), Church gospel team (2017-), Christmas fair (2019), University summer and online short courses (2019-20) in big data, smart city, energy and engineering mechanics, piano (G8 in 2021), swimming
Why Sheffield? They have very advanced facilities for engineering, so I can easily adapt to what is currently used in the real life. I also personally know one of their engineering professors and left my contact to him. If I get an interview, I hope that it is him who interviews me!
(For international students) Nationality: Hong Kong
(For international students) English test score: IELTS 8.0 overall
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Anyone thinking of joining the virtual open day?
I have booked a talk at 12:00 BST, which is 19:00 local time. I will be having an early dinner to make it.
Reply 3
If you guys went to today's open day please tell me your findings!
I have also shared my findings with my mate who is also applying for mech eng.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi guys, I live in Sheffield so any questions about the city feel free to drop me a pm!
I will be applying to sheffield for law and i currently study a level history, law and politics
I’ll be applying for politics and I currently study alevel history, politics and geography
Reply 7
Original post by hayleys02
I will be applying to sheffield for law and i currently study a level history, law and politics

Original post by username1501
I’ll be applying for politics and I currently study alevel history, politics and geography

Did you both go to the open day last Saturday? I was the only international student out of 16 attendees in my talk. We had 2 ambassadors and eight of us talked to one of them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 8013
Did you both go to the open day last Saturday? I was the only international student out of 16 attendees in my talk. We had 2 ambassadors and eight of us talked to one of them.

Hey, i did online and I attended the online law talk, what did you think of it?
Reply 9
Hey, i did online and I attended the online law talk, what did you think of it?

I feel that this will be at least CI (conditional insurance) for me if I get an offer. I like their research lab for engineering, and their amazing opportunities for students, especially the Railway Challenge being a rail fan.
Original post by 8013
I feel that this will be at least CI (conditional insurance) for me if I get an offer. I like their research lab for engineering, and their amazing opportunities for students, especially the Railway Challenge being a rail fan.

That sounds great, i'm guessing you'll be applying for engineering? There wasnt many people on my talk tbf
Reply 11
That sounds great, i'm guessing you'll be applying for engineering? There wasnt many people on my talk tbf

Yes
Original post by 8013
Yes

Good luck
Hey,

I'm looking for some advice, I am applying for psychology in the 2021 series, but I feel my qualifications may be a huge problem, as I only do two A-Levels and a UAL extended diploma (equivalent to 3 A-Levels/ BTEC extended diploma), in which I am predicted a Merit.
In my two A-Levels, I am predicted an A and B.
(I am also eligible for a contextual offer)
I really wanted to apply to Sheffield, but I know how many people apply here, so do you think it is likely I will not be accepted, given I don't have 3 A-Levels?

I would be really grateful if somebody could give me guidance on this or recommend places I could apply to.

Thank you!!
Reply 14
Is anyone thinking of applying to Sheffield for speech and language therapy undergraduate?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I'm looking for some advice, I am applying for psychology in the 2021 series, but I feel my qualifications may be a huge problem, as I only do two A-Levels and a UAL extended diploma (equivalent to 3 A-Levels/ BTEC extended diploma), in which I am predicted a Merit.
In my two A-Levels, I am predicted an A and B.
(I am also eligible for a contextual offer)
I really wanted to apply to Sheffield, but I know how many people apply here, so do you think it is likely I will not be accepted, given I don't have 3 A-Levels?

I would be really grateful if somebody could give me guidance on this or recommend places I could apply to.

Thank you!!

Hi Anonymous,

Our current standard entry requirements for BSc Psychology are AAB for three A-levels, including a science subject. As your combination of qualifications is less frequently seen, I would recommend you contact our admissions team for advice. Send an email to [email protected] and we'll be able to advise your further.

I notice that you mention contextual offers too. The majority of our contextual offers are assessed via our Access Sheffield scheme - you can read more about your eligibility, and how to notify us on our Access Sheffield webpages.

Let me know if you have any further questions

- Ben :smile:
Reply 16
What course you are applying for: Computer Science with a Year in Industry MComp
What universities you are thinking of: Imperial, Manchester, Sheffield, Leicester, Liverpool
A level predicted grades: I haven't received my actual predicteds yet, but at the start of year 12 I was predicted A*AA
GCSE grades: 998887776 Distinction, A* FM
Extra curriculars: Senior Prefect, Mental Health education project, DofE
Why Sheffield? When I first looked universities, I didn't look at Sheffield at all (for some odd reason LOL) and then a friend said she's applying, so I looked at it and it's everything I want. It's in a great city, something that was really important to me, but the course I'm applying to has everything I want, and the student-led software development company really appealed to me as I want to become a software engineer after going to university. Also, I know the research quality is great which means that surely my (hopefully) future course will provide me with the best and most up-to-date knowledge
Original post by username1501

Heyy, glad to hear you're thinking of joining us for Politics!

I'm in my 3rd year doing Politics & Philosophy, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the course, the Uni or the city! You can chat to current students including myself and others who study politics here as well: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat :smile:

Andreea
3rd year student, Politics & Philosophy
Hi guys!
Is the Economics department reputable? and also how are the facilities?
how good is the nightlife and societies?
thanks a lot
Anyone else applying for maths?🙋🏼*♂️

Latest

Trending

Trending