The Student Room Group

Urgent Advice- might get kicked out of Sixth Form

Hi all,

This is the time where advice and help is most needed for me so bare with me please. Now judging by the title, you may think me as a rebellious, problematic teen- so I'd like to add that I'm usually the quiet student that stays out of trouble so this is quite a rare situation for me to be in.

To cut a long story short, I missed three days of school this week as I felt extremely unwell and could not get out of bed for the most part; conveniently for me, I also had to take 2 days off school due to family issues 2 weeks prior. My sixth form hence threated to place me on attendance report, sent angry voicemails and told me I'd never get into the career of my choice- accusing me of staying at home for fun. So one thing led to another, and I sent an "angry" email out mentioning how I did not think it fair for me to go to school unwell, and expose my illness to vulnerable members of the public, as I can only take public transport and telling them that I don't appreciate their belittling comments and only wished for support- I apologised several times too for my attendance issues, however I think it was of little use as I undeniably sounded quite angry. They also blamed me for my lack of communication: although I emailed every single one of my subject teachers, the pastoral manager and my form tutor, ironically the head of sixth form ignored 3 of my previous emails months before when I was seeking advice about changing my A-Levels.

You may think I'm exaggerating but I'd like to tell you this is exactly how the events happened, and yes I accept that I have not made the greatest start and could've handled things better, however I must now deal with the consequences of my actions. I wish to study medicine, and this mess means I need to enquire for vacancies in other sixth forms: and no doubt they will all be oversubscribed. I'd really appreciate any sort of advice, as I don't wish to defer for a year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What did they say would get you expelled?
I think your sixth form are handling this unfairly. Yes, you did take time off but you made the correct forms of contact to inform your absences.

Did you catch up on all work that you missed?

If this persists, I would gather your evidence. Keep emails that you sent with their time stamps and the proof of the work you completed. If you followed procedure and caught up with the rest of the class, there is no reason why you should be expelled.

Try to keep your attendance at 100% from now on to fully support your argument! :smile:
Original post by dylgeo
What did they say would get you expelled?

"Firstly, I'd like to address your point regarding how the teachers checked in to make sure I was okay- I find this to be untrue as I was constantly being interrogated as to where I was and when I was coming back never once did anyone ask me how my illness was affecting me, offering support or even offering well wishes."

"I would have liked to have heard some encouraging words for once, or support/help being offered to me instead of threats of voicemails, attendance reports and diminishing comments. I would like to point out that I am not just a statistic that will ruin the school's attendance record, but.."

"Not to mention that you did also ignore several of my past emails when I was worried and stressed about my options as I wished to pursue A-Level maths and so I find it unfair to say the issue with communication lies purely with me.."

"However, I must emphasise that staying at home for 3 days this week was a measure I had to take, I felt physically unable to attend school nor could I sit through a lesson; and if I were to have come I may have potentially been sent home purely based on the symptoms I was displaying, rendering the journey pointless. I also don't feel it fair to spread the flu that i have to other vulnerable members of the public, as I use public transport to arrive at school.

"I have taken the time to catch up on all my work and emailed teachers where possible. Hence, I can't say I agree with the decision to place me on attendance report, as I was not deliberately taking time off at home for fun- as my education is beneficial mostly to me and my future considering I need high grades to pursue Medicine."

I refrained from using vulgar language, and these are only snippets of the conversation. The Pastoral manager basically forwarded my emails to the head of sixth form and she essentially accused me of taking time off where unneeded, and said a lack of communication on my side and my lack of attendance means I should forget about pursuing medicine. Honestly, it was the same when it came to GCSEs, I was quite naïve to attend the sixth form thinking it would be a fresh new experience. They are now calling me in for a meeting with the Attendance Team, the Deputy and head of Sixth Form and my form tutor in the morning. And to be quite frank I don't feel I can trust them with my education anymore.
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
I think your sixth form are handling this unfairly. Yes, you did take time off but you made the correct forms of contact to inform your absences.

Did you catch up on all work that you missed?

If this persists, I would gather your evidence. Keep emails that you sent with their time stamps and the proof of the work you completed. If you followed procedure and caught up with the rest of the class, there is no reason why you should be expelled.

Try to keep your attendance at 100% from now on to fully support your argument! :smile:

Thank you, it feels so nice to have someone understand my perspective! And yes, I made every effort to contact my Sixth Form Pastoral Manager, Form Tutor, and Subject teachers and requested for all the work I missed out on- and completed it all, despite being ill. My biology teacher also missed a double lesson on that week due to self isolation so I am on the same wavelength as everyone else regarding that lesson. I really feel that they are keen to shoulder the blame on to me, using any unfounded excuse and so I had enough and emailed them back!
I agree with keeping evidence, thank you for raising this point!

The issue here is that if I am to be kicked out, where do I go from here?
Original post by kindredspirit1
Thank you, it feels so nice to have someone understand my perspective! And yes, I made every effort to contact my Sixth Form Pastoral Manager, Form Tutor, and Subject teachers and requested for all the work I missed out on- and completed it all, despite being ill. My biology teacher also missed a double lesson on that week due to self isolation so I am on the same wavelength as everyone else regarding that lesson. I really feel that they are keen to shoulder the blame on to me, using any unfounded excuse and so I had enough and emailed them back!

I’d fight your case seeing as there’s no reason for them to expel you. If they choose to, I would personally question the decision and state that you want factual evidence of the reasoning. If they fail to provide, then they must accept you back or you can take this further.

If that’s too much hassle (I’d understand why it would be haha) I would just find another sixth form or college. You say you want to study medicine so I’d focus on finding a place where you can get your qualifications and pursue into higher education :smile:
I’d fight your case seeing as there’s no reason for them to expel you. If they choose to, I would personally question the decision and state that you want factual evidence of the reasoning. If they fail to provide, then they must accept you back or you can take this further.

If that’s too much hassle (I’d understand why it would be haha) I would just find another sixth form or college. You say you want to study medicine so I’d focus on finding a place where you can get your qualifications and pursue into higher education :smile:

Thank you once again for all your advice, it's helping a lot- I honestly would rather find another Sixth Form, as I don't think the atmosphere would be too pleasant after these events aha! I just hope there's a place that will take me on, as I really don't want to wait a year doing nothing!
Thank you once again for all your advice, it's helping a lot- I honestly would rather find another Sixth Form, as I don't think the atmosphere would be too pleasant after these events aha! I just hope there's a place that will take me on, as I really don't want to wait a year doing nothing!

Totally agree with you!

Where I live, applications are still open for entry this year. I’m sure there is a sixth form that would accept you! If not, the worst case scenario is sitting an extra year at sixth form which could be beneficial in terms of work experience for medicine etc.

I’m sure you’ll find a place that will accept you for this year though!

In most schools the parent is meant to send an e-mail about absence - not the student.
Original post by Muttley79
In most schools the parent is meant to send an e-mail about absence - not the student.

Not in mine! You’re seen as a young adult and therefore it is your responsibility to inform your absence. My college sees it as taking responsibility so it is seen as more respectable. It may be different at different schools though!
Totally agree with you!

Where I live, applications are still open for entry this year. I’m sure there is a sixth form that would accept you! If not, the worst case scenario is sitting an extra year at sixth form which could be beneficial in terms of work experience for medicine etc.

I’m sure you’ll find a place that will accept you for this year though!

Hopefully I can but applications are closed and schools are already a month into teaching so I am quite worried I won't be able to find anywhere, I really appreciate your well wishes though, you really have helped me feel so reassured! (I tried to rep you but it wouldn't allow me to I'm sorry)

That is true, honestly a part of me really does want a year to get myself together, I feel so drained dealing with this, but on the other hand I really want to get it all over with and get to university!

My school instructed the students to email: previously parents were meant to phone in but they cannot have a fully functioning reception considering the circumstances.
Hi, I'm not sure how your 6th form works, is it particularly competitive? If so, your 6th form head may be saying in a slightly blunt manner that (on paper) it doesn't seem like you're that committed to your studies. Of course from what you've said that isn't true- and especially right now whilst even sneezing can earn funny looks from people around you, I don't entirely blame you for staying home for a few days. Unfortunately, schools will see a lot of excuses like this, and simply see it as an excuse- I know in this case its not, but it is what it is. Are you in Y12?

To be honest, the slightlyyy rude email maybe wasn't the best way to go about things- don't get me wrong, you certainly make some points. But you gotta pick your battles, and complaining that you didn't get a well wishes from your teachers will probs just make your 6th form head more annoyed. That being said, what's done is done and you've not written anything atrocious, I don't think it warrants being expelled. (Maybe your 6th form head was threatening it as a fear-factor to get you to do some work and "take things seriously"? They do that sometimes...)

What you want to do now is arrange a meeting (or a casual chat if not) in your 6th form head's office and apologise- it will show that you're being mature. Calm down the situation as much as possible, seriously. I know you haven't really done anything wrong, say something like 'I apologise if my email came across as offensive, I just wanted to voice my concerns that...." and then you can explain the IMPORTANT stuff which you'd like to address, like sorting out the A-Level subjects you're gonna do. Leave out anything personal for now- its worth keeping a record of it but try and keep things amicable. At the end of the day, they're gonna be the people giving you a reference in Y13 and you don't wanna come across to your unis as uncommitted. Prove your 6th form head wrong, it will be awkward to do but its definitely worth it if you can :smile: all the best
My school instructed the students to email: previously parents were meant to phone in but they cannot have a fully functioning reception considering the circumstances.

Parents have always e-mailed in my school.
Original post by tipexmaster25
Hi, I'm not sure how your 6th form works, is it particularly competitive? If so, your 6th form head may be saying in a slightly blunt manner that (on paper) it doesn't seem like you're that committed to your studies. Of course from what you've said that isn't true- and especially right now whilst even sneezing can earn funny looks from people around you, I don't entirely blame you for staying home for a few days. Unfortunately, schools will see a lot of excuses like this, and simply see it as an excuse- I know in this case its not, but it is what it is. Are you in Y12?

To be honest, the slightlyyy rude email maybe wasn't the best way to go about things- don't get me wrong, you certainly make some points. But you gotta pick your battles, and complaining that you didn't get a well wishes from your teachers will probs just make your 6th form head more annoyed. That being said, what's done is done and you've not written anything atrocious, I don't think it warrants being expelled. (Maybe your 6th form head was threatening it as a fear-factor to get you to do some work and "take things seriously"? They do that sometimes...)

What you want to do now is arrange a meeting (or a casual chat if not) in your 6th form head's office and apologise- it will show that you're being mature. Calm down the situation as much as possible, seriously. I know you haven't really done anything wrong, say something like 'I apologise if my email came across as offensive, I just wanted to voice my concerns that...." and then you can explain the IMPORTANT stuff which you'd like to address, like sorting out the A-Level subjects you're gonna do. Leave out anything personal for now- its worth keeping a record of it but try and keep things amicable. At the end of the day, they're gonna be the people giving you a reference in Y13 and you don't wanna come across to your unis as uncommitted. Prove your 6th form head wrong, it will be awkward to do but its definitely worth it if you can :smile: all the best

I get everything you're saying- and yes honestly it the email was one of those "spur of the moment" type things, I was just a bit disappointed, as I was told I was receiving all this support from several teachers but I never recalled anyone offering any type of support.

Ah no I wouldn't say my Sixth Form is competitive, it's more of a disadvantaged school- although recently it is doing better. I think my Head of Sixth Form just wanted to ensure I wasn't taking time off unnecessarily: albeit that this was not the case.

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely be taking a trip to her office to specifically apologise since I'm clearly not her favourite aha: I had a meeting today to sort it all out and its been agreed that I'm going to placed on "Attendance Report" which I don't necessarily agree with but will just have to deal with, as its better than being excluded!

Thank you for all your advice, and for taking the time to read through this thread!
I get everything you're saying- and yes honestly it the email was one of those "spur of the moment" type things, I was just a bit disappointed, as I was told I was receiving all this support from several teachers but I never recalled anyone offering any type of support.

Ah no I wouldn't say my Sixth Form is competitive, it's more of a disadvantaged school- although recently it is doing better. I think my Head of Sixth Form just wanted to ensure I wasn't taking time off unnecessarily: albeit that this was not the case.

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely be taking a trip to her office to specifically apologise since I'm clearly not her favourite aha: I had a meeting today to sort it all out and its been agreed that I'm going to placed on "Attendance Report" which I don't necessarily agree with but will just have to deal with, as its better than being excluded!

Thank you for all your advice, and for taking the time to read through this thread!

Don't worry about it, we all have those days- especially with all the stress with lockdowns, I can completely understand why you felt like you did! Unfortunately that's the way it always is- schools and colleges seem to have these 'policies' which SHOULD happen but don't necessarily do, I really think they should follow them up before quoting them!

Maybe, and in a way its good that they're monitoring the attendance, at least it shows they care about it. But considering the fact that people are more likely to be off (genuinely as well) with corona going around, I would have expected them to be more lenient if anything!

Of course! :smile: Good luck with it, I don't think they can brand you as uncaring towards your studies if you take the time to make sure things are dealt with properly. And yeah its a bit harsh- but you're a good student who clearly gives a damn about their education, so it shouldn't be a challenge to prove them wrong at least.

No problem! Stick at it- sometimes it totally feels like the ones in power are using it badly, but you just gotta play to the system whilst you're there. :biggrin:

You can't be expelled for a one-off issue like this - they are bluffing.
My sister didn't go to school for about a month straight before getting kicked out. You only missed a bit and they're treating you like that? Ridiculous.
Original post by tipexmaster25
Don't worry about it, we all have those days- especially with all the stress with lockdowns, I can completely understand why you felt like you did! Unfortunately that's the way it always is- schools and colleges seem to have these 'policies' which SHOULD happen but don't necessarily do, I really think they should follow them up before quoting them!

Maybe, and in a way its good that they're monitoring the attendance, at least it shows they care about it. But considering the fact that people are more likely to be off (genuinely as well) with corona going around, I would have expected them to be more lenient if anything!

Of course! :smile: Good luck with it, I don't think they can brand you as uncaring towards your studies if you take the time to make sure things are dealt with properly. And yeah its a bit harsh- but you're a good student who clearly gives a damn about their education, so it shouldn't be a challenge to prove them wrong at least.

No problem! Stick at it- sometimes it totally feels like the ones in power are using it badly, but you just gotta play to the system whilst you're there. :biggrin:

Thank you, and yes honestly I don't know why they're giving so much importance towards the attendance figures: quite a lot of my teachers are off school and self-isolating too!

And again I really appreciate your kind words, I hope I do prove them wrong because like you said for now, I'll just play to the system aha! Good luck in the future to yourself too, you are a very considerate and helpful person! :smile:
You can't be expelled for a one-off issue like this - they are bluffing.

I was skeptical of this too, even so I decided not to mention this during the meeting for the sake of my education.

Quick Reply

Latest