The Student Room Group

trying to stay afloat except I'm on the titanic - jess' y13 gyg :) [2020/21]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca216
Glad to hear your school has introduced home study! (Hopefully you will get into a routine and not just spend this time on tiktok :lol: )

I am in a similar position to you R.E. Driving theory test, (mines on the 29th Oct), and I was looking for cancellations, but have decided to just stay as it is so I can get my school mocks out of the way first - hopefully you can move yours though :smile:

Hope you have a good weekend :hugs:

haha yes I hope so too!! and that's a good point actually, my school mocks are the first week back after the half term so this gives me a chance to focus on getting good grades instead of driving! i'll keep my eye out in the meantime but considering the backlog after lockdown i don't think anyone's in a hurry to cancel their tests :auto: hope you have a good weekend too :thumbsup:
Original post by laurawatt
Good luck!! :biggrin:

thank you!! :^_^:
okay this is a day late bc yesterday after school I hung out w some friends until really late which was so nice!! even though it was freezing cold outside it was super chill just spending time w friends outside of school haha. this week was my busier week in terms of lessons and I think I jinxed it for myself because at the beginning I was saying I didn't have much work to do but now I am.. overwhelmed. :yawn: but anyway.

biology
looked more at the resting/active potential graph and also at the general function of synapses which I think is actually making a lot more sense now! I'm excited to get further into the topic to help me see if I acc want to study neuroscience lol. with our other teacher we looked at the kidneys in a lot of detail (so now I need to memorise the labelled structure of it for Monday which is.. fun). also dissected a kidney which was so interesting! :biggrin:

maths
with one teacher we did the entirety of chapter 4 pure which is binomial expansion, but with negatives and coefficients that aren't one. it's actually super easy once you know the way to do it so I'm pretty happy with that! with the other teacher we started looking at moments which also aren't all that bad. as much as I hate mechanics, moments are pretty easy (for now at least) so I'm not overly stressed about it. we do have two end of unit tests to do though which isn't quite as fun (on modulus stuff and on sequences).

german
got my essay back about a character study in the play and it went pretty well! luckily I'm getting fairly consistent marks on essays, although I am obviously using notes and checking all my grammar and vocab against my notes and stuff so it's not entirely representative of how I'll do ultimately. I wanna try and do some essays in my own time w/o using notes but equally I don't have time for that at the moment haha.. I'll get to it before mocks though! also looked at some more grammar stuff (recapping the tenses) and did more integration stuff. as interesting as it is I feel like we're not really going anywhere with it so I'm ready to move on to the next topic.

other~
got my personal statement feedback from my biology teacher and she had some really good advice! I've mostly acted on it but there's one book she recommended I read which sounds really interesting (it's called inventing ourselves but the exact name of the author escapes me atm). had a driving lesson which went pretty well - I'm so excited to just get the test done at this point! I signed up for a cancellation alert thing that can book sooner tests for me and it sent me one for the 30th September which is.. 4 days away so I did NOT take that lol. I thought about it but I need about 3 more hours of lessons to get everything solidified so that's a bit soon lol.

I think that's all really! had a bit of a mental health wobble in the middle of the week because everything just got SO overwhelming. I swear teachers think we're robots or something at times... Wednesday was pretty rough in particular because, me being me, I had a ton of hw to do for the next day, but that's only because we had such a short turnaround on it and it was a ridiculous amount. but anyway. hope everyone has a good week! :blush:

tag list~

Spoiler

Hey :smile: Good luck with everything, it sounds like you’re off to a great start of the year!
Could I be tagged please?
It’s okay to have a bit of a wobble from time to time, hopefully spending time with friends helped :hugs:

I find moments fine (but I don’t know if that’s as I do Physics) :smile:

Hope you have a good weekend :redface:
Original post by Beecar98
Hey :smile: Good luck with everything, it sounds like you’re off to a great start of the year!

thank you! it's going better than I thought to be fair :biggrin:
Original post by Roses & Dreams
Could I be tagged please?

of course! :h:
It’s okay to have a bit of a wobble from time to time, hopefully spending time with friends helped :hugs:

I find moments fine (but I don’t know if that’s as I do Physics) :smile:

Hope you have a good weekend :redface:

it did thank you!! and i'm sure doing physics helps haha, they're pretty easy for now but I haven't looked at what's in the rest of the chapter yet :ashamed2: you too!!
Original post by procrastinatingb
thank you! it's going better than I thought to be fair :biggrin:

of course! :h:

it did thank you!! and i'm sure doing physics helps haha, they're pretty easy for now but I haven't looked at what's in the rest of the chapter yet :ashamed2: you too!!

From what I remember they dont get too difficult, I think the tricky thing is keeping track of which ones are clockwise/anti clockwise ect when you havee multiple ones in - hopefully you'll be fine :biggrin:
From what I remember they dont get too difficult, I think the tricky thing is keeping track of which ones are clockwise/anti clockwise ect when you havee multiple ones in - hopefully you'll be fine :biggrin:

i'm already feeling that!! i imagine i look about the same figuring out whether things go clockwise or anticlockwise as everybody did doing fleming's left hand rule :angelblush:
i'm already feeling that!! i imagine i look about the same figuring out whether things go clockwise or anticlockwise as everybody did doing fleming's left hand rule :angelblush:

that's a gcse throwback right there! I am glad it didnt come up in the final exam...
definitely a more chill week this week but nonetheless I am feeling ~stressed~ because I mean... year 13 in a global pandemic? not ideal.

biology
did some more work on the structure of the kidney and we also did a practical involving trying to find the glucose concentrations of a few solutions. definitely a throwback to year 12 and definitely not something I remembered well lol. still a pretty fun practical! also did my presentation on active potential/summation/synapses which wasn't exactly *fun* but I did it and didn't burst into flames which was nice. the only thing is everyone in the class presented on the same topics so I don't really know why we did it but anyway.

maths
finished up doing binomial expansion (which I'm feeling pretty good about ngl) and also we did some more work on moments, this time with non-uniform rods. I think I mostly understand it? I just need to do a ton of questions to get used to it more. but I need to do that for most topics really. I also did two end of unit tests (one on sequences and one on graphs and functions) so hopefully I'll get those results back next week or at least sometime soon? I think i did okay but also I probably made some dumb mistakes somewhere

german
did some more work on integration and racism which is really interesting. also did some exam style questions and we literally had the most horrible text to read and answer questions on - how am I meant to know 'Heiterkeit' means cheerfulness? how am I meant to know this guy's literal job was to.. cheer people up?? but yeah. I also have kind of forgotten that my IRP is a thing I should be doing and my teacher mentioned we should have our 6/7 bullet points by the end of term. so that's fun. (for reference, I have nothing :cry2:)

other
realised we only have three weeks until the end of term so that's really fun. started looking at unis again - I'm down to six but I really don't know which one I'm going to knock off. I'm thinking Warwick, but all my decisions have really been made on the courses alone and not in regards to the actual universities? so I'm going to try and make that a priority over the next few weeks, but equally I have other work to do lmao. I've almost finished reading another book I'm going to mention in my personal statement, and after that I think I'm just going to send it to a couple of teachers to proof read more than anything because at this point I just wanna get it sent off and done!

I think that's everything that happened really? the only vaguely exciting thing that happened was a water pipe burst (while I wasn't even in the school, boo) and there was a chance we'd have had to stay home today but alas, they fixed it. half term really cannot come soon enough. although I'll be revising for most of that time so maybe it can wait...

let me know if you want to be added/removed! :smile:
tag list~

Spoiler

Don’t get me started on how hard it is to juggle revision, homework and deciding on uni stuff :eek:

realised we only have three weeks until the end of term so that's really fun. started looking at unis again - I'm down to six but I really don't know which one I'm going to knock off. I'm thinking Warwick, but all my decisions have really been made on the courses alone and not in regards to the actual universities? so I'm going to try and make that a priority over the next few weeks, but equally I have other work to do lmao. I've almost finished reading another book I'm going to mention in my personal statement, and after that I think I'm just going to send it to a couple of teachers to proof read more than anything because at this point I just wanna get it sent off and done!

urghhhh good luck with picking unis!
Don’t get me started on how hard it is to juggle revision, homework and deciding on uni stuff :eek:

the actual worst!! can't wait to at least get the uni stuff out the way :s-smilie: you too!!:yeah:

Original post by emilynxlan
urghhhh good luck with picking unis!

aaah ty!! :biggrin:
I feel the same about my uni choices, they’re all based on the courses rather than the universities - good luck!
Original post by laurawatt
I feel the same about my uni choices, they’re all based on the courses rather than the universities - good luck!

hopefully we've made some good choices! good luck to you too :smile:
only two weeks left of term! honestly it cannot come fast enough. even though I know I'll be revising for mocks the entire time, I just want to have a little bit of freedom back in my day. :tux: last weekend I finally decided to try and get my head around notion and I think I actually really like it? just call me unjaded jess. I also actually did some revision bc I didn't understand my homework and uh,, it helped? I understood things? a wild concept. but also I had a breakdown about my personal statement and it's basically now entirely different but anywayyy we move.

biology
with one teacher we looked at the structure of the brain, and we did a practical about reflexes (the classic drop and catch a ruler) and drank knockoff coke to try and gauge the effects of caffeine, but it didn't really work lol. the coke also tasted kinda gross :eyebrow: with the other teacher we looked at the kidneys yet again, this time at the collecting duct. I actually think I understand it! all the stuff we're doing atm is really interesting.

maths
finished moments and did the end of unit test on it! didn't go too badly (I hope) :yeah: also did the entirety of the regression lines chapter but not sure any of it really went in oops. test on that next week. also did my binomial expansion test so hopefully that also went okay. and we started looking at cosec/sec/cot and their graphs which is uh for sure something.

german
yet more racism stuff. also did some speaking and man my mouth just works ten times faster than my brain when I try and speak german lol. also did some more character studies for the play and I've been writing my essay for that. I ALSO had a chat w my teacher about my IRP and I think I have a rough idea of what my points are going to be, even if I'm still working on my question title since I initially picked a fairly broad topic and I'm finding specific parts of it more interesting as I go.

other
had a driving lesson. my test feels so far away but all the cancellations I'm getting texted are like.. 2 days in advance and I feel like I need at least a bit more warning for that. oh and after my breakdown over my personal statement I've edited it a bit and I think I like it more now. I'm going to send it to my tutor again on Monday and I'm aiming to get it sent off ideally next week, if not early the week after. aah!! this week has been kinda rough, partially since it's just heavier in terms of lessons and partially just.. because. y'know? here's to a productive weekend! :dancing2:

tag list~ (lmk if you want to be added/removed!)

Spoiler

only two weeks left of term! honestly it cannot come fast enough. even though I know I'll be revising for mocks the entire time, I just want to have a little bit of freedom back in my day. :tux: last weekend I finally decided to try and get my head around notion and I think I actually really like it? just call me unjaded jess. I also actually did some revision bc I didn't understand my homework and uh,, it helped? I understood things? a wild concept. but also I had a breakdown about my personal statement and it's basically now entirely different but anywayyy we move.

biology
with one teacher we looked at the structure of the brain, and we did a practical about reflexes (the classic drop and catch a ruler) and drank knockoff coke to try and gauge the effects of caffeine, but it didn't really work lol. the coke also tasted kinda gross :eyebrow: with the other teacher we looked at the kidneys yet again, this time at the collecting duct. I actually think I understand it! all the stuff we're doing atm is really interesting.

maths
finished moments and did the end of unit test on it! didn't go too badly (I hope) :yeah: also did the entirety of the regression lines chapter but not sure any of it really went in oops. test on that next week. also did my binomial expansion test so hopefully that also went okay. and we started looking at cosec/sec/cot and their graphs which is uh for sure something.

german
yet more racism stuff. also did some speaking and man my mouth just works ten times faster than my brain when I try and speak german lol. also did some more character studies for the play and I've been writing my essay for that. I ALSO had a chat w my teacher about my IRP and I think I have a rough idea of what my points are going to be, even if I'm still working on my question title since I initially picked a fairly broad topic and I'm finding specific parts of it more interesting as I go.

other
had a driving lesson. my test feels so far away but all the cancellations I'm getting texted are like.. 2 days in advance and I feel like I need at least a bit more warning for that. oh and after my breakdown over my personal statement I've edited it a bit and I think I like it more now. I'm going to send it to my tutor again on Monday and I'm aiming to get it sent off ideally next week, if not early the week after. aah!! this week has been kinda rough, partially since it's just heavier in terms of lessons and partially just.. because. y'know? here's to a productive weekend! :dancing2:

Spoiler

I definitely feel the same about the end of term, can't wait to not have lessons all day every day :party:

Wow I remember doing those biology practicals at GCSE, what a throwback.
Original post by StudentMania
I definitely feel the same about the end of term, can't wait to not have lessons all day every day :party:

Wow I remember doing those biology practicals at GCSE, what a throwback.

yes yes yes! and honestly.. it feels like forever ago now haha

biology

maths

german

other

Spoiler

I can honestly not wait till the end of term either, yr 13 feels like its been going on for ages.

Good luck with your personal statement, I need to polish mine up.:smile:
Original post by XViconX
I can honestly not wait till the end of term either, yr 13 feels like its been going on for ages.

Good luck with your personal statement, I need to polish mine up.:smile:

honestlyy it's been the longest few weeks!! and good luck with yours too :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending