The Student Room Group

a level chem...have i named this correctly?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
yes, you have named it correctly :smile:
Original post by issaaccount
Hi,
yes, you have named it correctly :smile:

yayy

wait acc does it need to be di-methyl?
omg im sorry, i didn't see that !!!
:eek:

Yes it would be dimethyl

Original post by vix.xvi
yayy

wait acc does it need to be di-methyl?
Original post by vix.xvi
thanks

Based on heptane
Three branches ethyl, dimethyl
Keeping numbers as low as possible
5-ethyl-2,3-dimethylheptane
Original post by issaaccount
omg im sorry, i didn't see that !!!
:eek:

Yes it would be dimethyl

no worries
tyvm x
Original post by charco
Based on heptane

oooohh
i have to keep no.s as low as possible...forgot that
thank you!!
Original post by vix.xvi
thanks

Based on heptane
Original post by charco
Based on heptane

Yupp☺️
Reply 9
Why has nobody noticed that it is hexane based?
Original post by Pigster
Why has nobody noticed that it is hexane based?

Because it's not :dontknow:
Original post by charco
Because it's not :dontknow:

It is blurry, but it looks like: (C2H5)2CHCH(CH3)CH(CH3)2, which would be 4-ethyl-2,3-dimethylhexane.

The displayed formula the OP drew is simply wrong - what with it having two carbon atoms with only three bonds.
Original post by Pigster
It is blurry, but it looks like: (C2H5)2CHCH(CH3)CH(CH3)2, which would be 4-ethyl-2,3-dimethylhexane.

The displayed formula the OP drew is simply wrong - what with it having two carbon atoms with only three bonds.

Yes, it's missing hydrogen atoms but it looks to me like (C2H5)2CHCH2CH(CH3)CH(CH3)2
... when you add the hydrogen atoms in, making it 5-ethyl-2,3-dimethylheptane
TSRpic.png
Original post by charco
Yes, it's missing hydrogen atoms but it looks to me like (C2H5)2CHCH2CH(CH3)CH(CH3)2
... when you add the hydrogen atoms in, making it 5-ethyl-2,3-dimethylheptane

I have to disagree on two counts: 1. the OP's displayed does not match the structural given in the Q and hence overall the answer is wrong.
2. if we're only interested in ensuring the OP has named what they drew, rather than what they should have drawn, then the point of first difference rule surely would say 3,5,6 rather than 5,2,3?
Original post by Pigster
I have to disagree on two counts: 1. the OP's displayed does not match the structural given in the Q and hence overall the answer is wrong.
2. if we're only interested in ensuring the OP has named what they drew, rather than what they should have drawn, then the point of first difference rule surely would say 3,5,6 rather than 5,2,3?

I was only answering the (partial) structure that the OP drew.
However, you raise an interesting point. I was always lead to believe that the end was chosen to give the lowest numerical locants. You have raised "the point of first difference rule". I am not familiar with this rule.
OK I've found the documentation:
"Number the carbons of the parent chain from the end that gives the substituents the lowest numbers. When compairing a series of numbers, the series that is the "lowest" is the one which contains the lowest number at the occasion of the first difference. If two or more side chains are in equivalent positions, assign the lowest number to the one which will come first in the name."
From IUPAC http://www.chem.uiuc.edu/GenChemReferences/nomenclature_rules.html
Indeed sir, you are correct.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by charco
I was only answering the (partial) structure that the OP drew.
However, you raise an interesting point. I was always lead to believe that the end was chosen to give the lowest numerical locants. You have raised "the point of first difference rule". I am not familiar with this rule. Do you have a reference?

Shazam: http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/WebContent/orgnom/main/dontsum.html

Yes, I overcame my idleness and looked it up - I was editing my post when you did.
Original post by vix.xvi
thanks

I have replied to you in case you might be interested in the arguments to two old men.
Original post by Pigster
I have replied to you in case you might be interested in the arguments to two old men.

thank you aha
i think i'll just ask my teacher at school :smile:
but thanks!
Original post by Pigster

Hardly arguments, old chap!

I'm grateful that I've learned something today.

Quick Reply

Latest