The Student Room Group

Universitys

I would like to do a Civil engineering course

GCSE:876555443

A levels predicted : Maths(B) ,Physics(C) ,Computer science (B), Further maths (D)

so they are **** , i know

What are my options rather that working in MacDonald's ????

what is the best University I can get into probably with foundation year

or is it better to re do A levels that foundation year

thanks

Scroll to see replies

TEF gold universities is probably a must
bump
Original post by fijitastic
bump

k..............................................................................................
Original post by Imperial Majesty

A levels predicted : Maths(B) ,Physics(C) ,Computer science (B), Further maths (D)

thanks

I dont really know but Exeter were offering BBC in clearing last year. Personally I think you should drop Further Maths and concentrate on trying to improve your grades to BBB or ABB as that will improve your options.

Swansea are offering BBB-BCC for civil engineering with foundation or ABB-BBB without foundation. They might well go lower.

ABB-BBB at A level (including Mathematics).
University of Nottingham engineering foundation year has BBB standard entry requirements and about 90% of students make it past the foundation year and into one of the departments in the school of engineering. If you feel you can make a big improvement in your A levels if you retook them then that would be more worth it than spending 9.25k on a university foundation year. But you are at the start of year 13 so you should try your best rather than thinking about retakes right now.
Original post by swanseajack1
I dont really know but Exeter were offering BBC in clearing last year. Personally I think you should drop Further Maths and concentrate on trying to improve your grades to BBB or ABB as that will improve your options.

Swansea are offering BBB-BCC for civil engineering with foundation or ABB-BBB without foundation. They might well go lower.

ABB-BBB at A level (including Mathematics).

it says i am predicted a B for computer science(**** teacher does this so he looks good compered to others ) but i am probably get a D. their is higher chance of me getting a B in further maths than a B in computer
Original post by Mustafa0605
University of Nottingham engineering foundation year has BBB standard entry requirements and about 90% of students make it past the foundation year and into one of the departments in the school of engineering. If you feel you can make a big improvement in your A levels if you retook them then that would be more worth it than spending 9.25k on a university foundation year. But you are at the start of year 13 so you should try your best rather than thinking about retakes right now.

i am going to try my best but bit demotivation knowing we might go back in to lock down , but i got two and a bit months till mocks so hope i can get this grades up
it says i am predicted a B for computer science(**** teacher does this so he looks good compered to others ) but i am probably get a D. their is higher chance of me getting a B in further maths than a B in computer

Then drop Computer Science. You dont need 4 A levels. All universities especially at around your grades make offers on 3 and doing whatever it takes to get the 3 highest grades is in your best interests.
Then drop Computer Science. You dont need 4 A levels. All universities especially at around your grades make offers on 3 and doing whatever it takes to get the 3 highest grades is in your best interests.

i will see what i will get on the mock, if their is no improvement I will
Hi there, this link should help you out- select the option to 'enter grades' and you can put your grades in and find all the UK courses you meet the requirements for: https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=civil-engineering&sort=enta
Hope this helps! :biggrin:

thanks

Idk much about civil engineering but do other types of engineering courses have lower entry requirements? You could always just work incredibly hard and get higher grades, take a gap year and wait to apply with your actual grades.
drop further maths and then increase your grades
i will see what i will get on the mock, if their is no improvement I will

It isnt as simple as that. Once you complete your application you have entered into a contact and any changes you make afterwards universities would have the right to reject you as you had changed the basis on which they made the offer. In practice for most universities it doesnt matter but before dropping a subject you need to get the written agreement first. It is far easier and safer to drop a subject before you complete the application.
It isnt as simple as that. Once you complete your application you have entered into a contact and any changes you make afterwards universities would have the right to reject you as you had changed the basis on which they made the offer. In practice for most universities it doesnt matter but before dropping a subject you need to get the written agreement first. It is far easier and safer to drop a subject before you complete the application.

then i just keep and wont try
Drop one A level.
No Uni asks for 4 A levels, and by doing 4 its having a major impact on your grades.

One alternative - dont apply for Uni this year. Work your socks off on 3 subjects and get the best possible grades you can.
Then apply next year. If you want to succeed badly enough, you'll put the effort in.
Original post by McGinger
Drop one A level.
No Uni asks for 4 A levels, and by doing 4 its having a major impact on your grades.

One alternative - dont apply for Uni this year. Work your socks off on 3 subjects and get the best possible grades you can.
Then apply next year. If you want to succeed badly enough, you'll put the effort in.

idk after the mock I will see , but if i do further maths it will help me out in uni because I will already have some idea even if I do bad in it
idk after the mock I will see , but if i do further maths it will help me out in uni because I will already have some idea even if I do bad in it

The reasons why some of us are advising you against 4 subjects is every year people take 4 then they find out their grades arent as good as they would have liked by spreading their time too thinly. 4 A levels is never a good idea but some very bright Oxbridge type students get away with it. For somebody with your grades the likelyhood is your grades will suffer and getting the best grades you possibly can in 3 subjects will get you into better universities.
The reasons why some of us are advising you against 4 subjects is every year people take 4 then they find out their grades arent as good as they would have liked by spreading their time too thinly. 4 A levels is never a good idea but some very bright Oxbridge type students get away with it. For somebody with your grades the likelyhood is your grades will suffer and getting the best grades you possibly can in 3 subjects will get you into better universities.

further maths is just harder maths doing further maths helps my maths grade even if i get a low fm grade i will do well in maths
further maths is just harder maths doing further maths helps my maths grade even if i get a low fm grade i will do well in maths

I see your logic but I also disagree.

No civil eng degrees require further maths and only some of the top unis (Oxbridge/Imperial) prefer you to have it. You will improve your maths grade much more if you drop further maths - unis would rather have 3 A grades than 2 As and 2 Bs for example.

In answer to your question, possibly have a look at some unis that make offers based on UCAS points (Nottingham Trent is the first one that comes to mind). If not definitely look around for foundation courses, I see Nottingham has already been mentioned and I think Birmingham offer one too.

Quick Reply

Latest